droid pro keyboard - anyone else notice this?

Last Updated:

1. chapperjoe

chapperjoe Member

I was initially set on a droid pro, coming over from a blackberry.
    It was this device that made me even consider android.

As most of you were as well, I could type on my BB without looking at it, dial numbers too of course.
    When I saw the shape of the droid pro keyboard, loved the execution ... on paper.

I was willing to overlook the non-standard number key layout cause most number use is with the phone and I'd be using the voice command feature to dial more than anything else.

when I went to the store and tried it i simply could not type on it.

responsiveness was mushy, e.g. the keys didn't resist sharply enough.

that I can overlook.

there is no 'shelf' under the keyboard, even that I didn't care about since I didn't even notice this till I saw a youtube review.

the space bar: I realized I was missing it almost every time. and then I saw why. It's simply not raised enough. The rest of the keyboard is a dead bb ringer, but the space bar is almost flat.

as a result, I've all but dropped droid pro as a contender.

too many compromises.

the large 4.3" screen on some droid devices make typing on them a little easier than I thought, plus with swype and voice command, I may be able to ditch the physical keyboard.

anyone else feel this way?

I still havent made the leap yet as the droid pro would be free for me now, whereas the TB would be 170$.

2. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

Was a BB user for years, went to a Droid Incredible, then the Droid Pro, then Thunderbolt and now back to the Droid Pro. For me it's the perfect compromise - the physical keyboard I crave and all of the Android goodness in one device. My space bar actually feels mushier (is that a word) than the rest of the keys, but I'm used to it and I can fly on this as quickly as on my berries.
  3. chapperjoe

chapperjoe Member

I can't get over the space bar.
    I decided to go thunderbolt to get the 4g unlimited locked in.
    If the space bar was firm, I'd have gotten the pro.
    It's that big a deal to me.