droid pro vs blackberry bold 9650 os 6.0

1. im not really sure if this belongs here but my contract with verizon is up tuesday and im debating between the droid pro and the blackberry bold 9650 6.0 os. i know this is a android forum but if you say no to the bold 9650 6.0 os id like expirence with before you bash it. as of right now i have an htc ozone windows phone. thank you

Advertisement
  2. operant

operant Well-Known Member

I've used both a blackberry with os 6 (can't remember model number specifically) and a Droid Pro. Both have been in my hands. The whole Droid line wipes the floor with BB IMO. There are more options, more apps, much more customizable, etc. Android is more intuitive and expansive than BB.

If you want a keyboard, the Droid Pro or Droid 2 Global are the ways to go.

However, if you are using this phone for more of a business purpose than personal usage, it gets a little more even. It then becomes a choice of what feel best in your hands, what device does what you need to do easier, etc. But if I were you, I'd be looking at your android options a lot more than I would Blackberry.
  3. how would the droid r2d2 be?
  4. the only thing im not a fan of the driod phones are the touch screen
  5. operant

Ah. Believe me, once you use a touchscreen for a day you'll wonder how you used anything before them.

I used to have a Windows Mobile phone (not 7 but the old style) and a Blackberry before that. When I switched to a touchscreen Android phone I was amazed by how much faster I was able to do my tasks.
  6. how does the r2d2 compare to the droid pro
  7. operant

Pretty much the same - the r2d2 has the same stuff inside as a Droid 2, which is similar to a Droid Pro. So similar performance wise.
  8. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

If your company has a bes and this is primarily a work phone that will be email, txt and talk then the bold is a good choice. If you do any mobile web surfing and just want something customizable then I'd go with the Droid pro. Android is miles ahead of BB OS wise, but a BB is still a very good phone.
    If your spending your own money, get the Droid
  9. out of the bold 9650 6.0 os, pro and r2d2 which has a better battery life. its going to be bought with my own money
  10. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Never used those particular droids for days at a time but if be willing to out good money on the bold for battery life. Never even considered an extended battery for my blackberries but have 2 of tkem for my incredible ;)
  11. well i send more txts, and ims a day and go on facebook then anything. i usually go on the internet/sports apps like 3-5 times a day. i play games like 2-3 times a week
  12. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

The Blackberry is definitely going to have better battery life. Much better. But honestly, unless you have to be tied to corporate email or BBM (which is rumored to be coming to Android/iOS in the future), you'll be missing out on quite a lot by going with the Blackberry. There's a reason why they've been losing market share and Android has been gaining. Blackberry is now way behind the curve when it comes to what most consumers want and expect.
  13. well ive narrowed it down to between the droid pro and the droid r2d2. if any one can help me out with those 2
  14. the r2d2 has 8gb flash/512 ram. not sure what that means compared to the pro with 2gb internal while the bold has 512 flash and ram
  15. well im on my 2nd droid pro since march 16th and still having problems with the my 2nd pro. so my 14 days arent up with verizon to change phones yet so im now considering the r2d2 vs bb bold 9650 os 6
  16. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

what problems are you having? If you're on Exchange, be advised many users have issues with proper sync. Most have gone to 3rd party apps like Touchdown. IMO, it's better than the stock mail app anyhow.
  17. my first pro i had for 4hrs and it just restarted itself constantly. the pro i have now in the week ive owned it restarted 2 or 3 times and when i txt my gf it shows up under other peoples name but shows up under her number. then when i turned it off and on after that it makes weird beeping noises on restart and shut down
  18. i have till wednesday to decide on keeping the pro or get a different phone.......
  19. kjjb0204

Did you try a battery pull? Seems to fix several small bugs.
  20. yah thats what i did. my gfs brother works for verizon he he said i should do that every day or every other day with smart phones....... that doesnt sound right to me. i never had to pull the battery on my ozone
  21. kjjb0204

Battery pulls are famous on BB's. Seems to fix an issue or two for me on Android once in a while as well. Is sms working properly now after the battery pull?
  22. so far so good
  23. fascinated

fascinated Well-Known Member

I have been using the BB 9650 with OS 6 for quite a while since early leaks. I will say that it does calling, email, scheduling and contacts really well and its very efficient for just those tasks. If that's all you need great, but I've found myself recently needing a good browser on my phone and the BB sucks as that.

The size and keyboard of the Droid Pro and Droid 2 global are very appealing plus I would have a good browser.

How will the battery life be for someone that does a ton of email, scheduling and calling? Other than the occasional Pandora I don't do faceshot, schwitter or any other apps that pull constant data.