DROID reaching 120 degree for no apparent reason.... rooted and concerned

Last Updated:

1. servo086

servo086 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I rooted my droid, and am currently running smoked glass 6. Twice I have noticed my phone heating up (120 F was the most before i pulled the battery) for no apparent reason. I open up auto-killer, kill extra processes, and no difference. No application can be causing this, yet my phone will heat up for no reason. It is not all the time, but I fear it could become a regular thing.
    Has anyone else experienced this, or heard about it? Help would be appreciated, too...:(

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Maybe GPS was on in the background (sometimes it doesn't shut off when you close the browser or something). But seriously 120 deg F is not in the "danger" zone by any means.

3. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

Or the kernel you are running is not getting alone with your Droid. Try flashing something else.

4. servo086

Gps was not on. I made sure it was off. I even underclocked to 250 to see if there was any clear culprit. I'm thinking I need to install bbeast w/smoked glass...

5. coloradogregg

coloradogregg Well-Known Member

How exactly do you check the temperature? Mine feels warm to the touch after playing some games for awhile.

6. bhedwards0822

bhedwards0822 Member

I have the setcpu app that shows the temperature along with a bunch of other stuff. A must have if you are rooted!

coloradogregg likes this.
  7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I would try a different kernel or perhaps a different rom and kernel. But I am with UBR that 120F is not much to worry about.

8. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member

So what is the "danger zone" temp that we should watch out for? I was using mine to capture video...using a 7 slot low voltage 1200mhz rom lastnight and the phone kept rebooting.

The highest temp "I" saw it ever get to was 119F. The back was pretty hot and I do have the failsafe profile set to 65C...but it never reaches that before it reboots.

I'm running Petes Bugless Beast v1.0, quite a few apps installed, but never run the video without rebooting first, so there's nothing running in the background that I've launched.

??

Thanks
    Shayne

9. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Is it overclocked? What's that in Celsius, ala a real unit of measurement, anyway?

10. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

try using one of P3droids kernels. they have run very smooth and cool on my phone with several different roms. P3Droid Kernels

sghere likes this.
  11. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I run NexBeast (based on Bugless Beast V1.0) and initially I used a Bekit 1.0Ghz kernel. But then I decided to try one of the P3Droid kernels and my temp is lower (and battery life is better). In fact, my phone runs cooler with a P3Droid 1.2Ghz kernel than it did when I ran the 1.0Ghz kernel from Bekit.

sghere likes this.
  12. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I downloaded the P3 1.2Ghz Rom, and the phone went from 89F constant idling, to 53F idling. Running the Video (Camcorder) it's staying around 90F.

Appreciate the tips!
    Shayne

13. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Look into getting Temp Mon from the market as well.... it allows you to actively monitor the cpu temp in the notification area. For a rooted overclocker it's a must.

:rolleyes:

14. servo086

I am usually overclocked at 800. My concern really comes from the fact it heated up without doing anything. My phone heats up whenever I do a bunch of stuff like everyone elses'. Time to switch. I'm not savvy enough to choose specific kernals, etc. I have adam's Smoked Glass 6.1. Maybe I'll just hold out for his newest one.

15. gwwjpd

gwwjpd Well-Known Member

Trying different kernels isn't that hard. My Droid works well with P3Droid Kernels.

Here is a link, P3Droid Kernels

Download the ones you want to try, put them in a folder labeled whatever you want. Boot into recovery by holding X while powering on, make a nandroid backup just in case.

If using Clockwork recovery,
    Install zip from sdcard - choose zip from sdcard, find the folder with the kernels, apply the one you want to try. Once it's done, reboot.

If using SPRecovery,
    (You must rename the kernel you want to try "update.zip", without the "" on the root of your sdcard, before you boot into SPRecovery.)
    Install - Allow update.zip Installation - Install. Once it's done, reboot.

Here is where you find out if the kernel you picked is right for your Droid.

If it goes into boot loops, pull the battery, boot back into recovery.
    If using Clockwork, just try a different kernel from your kernel folder.
    If using SPRecovery, restore the backup you just made, reboot, delete that kernel named update.zip, rename the next one update.zip, boot back into SPRecovery, install like the previous one.

If it boots up fine, test it out, see if it's to your liking.

If you have any problems, (too hot, FCs or whatever), boot into recovery, try a different kernel.

If you have ROM Manager, it's a bit easier. (You might need ROM Manager Premium to apply kernels, I'm not sure.)

Open ROM Manager - Menu - Setting - Advanced Mode - OK - Back - Download ROM - CyanogenMod - P3Droids Kernels

Select the one you want to try, when it downloads, select BACKUP.
    Wipe is usually not needed for just switching kernels.
    If you do wipe, you'll have to reload your screens with your apps, widgets and whatever.

It will backup your current ROM and install the new kernel and reboot.

If all that fails, boot into recovery and restore the backup you just made.

I hope you find one that works better with your Droid.

Wow, this turned out to be a longer post than I thought it would.

16. kongo101

kongo101 Active Member

I switched from BeKit to P3 two days ago - I'm on NexBeast 1.0 - and the battery life and temps have been far better than with the BeKits.

I'm doing 800Mhz top and 250 Mhz bottom, but have the 1.0Ghz kernal installed.

17. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Lots of background processes
    Sync intervals on apps very short (1 min, 15 min, etc)
    Possibly try a new kernel or downclock