droid running hot with trapster or other GPS apps?

Last Updated:

1. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just noticed that Droid is running very hot with trapster turned on. Anyone else notice this? Is this trapster or the GPS?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's good to have an app running that depends on the GPS receiver if you are indoors. I had one strange episode with my DROID that I feel was GPS related. I tried using an app call Buzz Off. It can be used one of two ways, one way utilizes the GPS receiver. I was indoors so I'm sure the GPS could not find any satellites and MAN!!!, did my DROID get HOTT! :eek: I killed Buzz Off, turned off the GPS receiver, shut the phone down and removed the battery. Waited about 10 minutes and turned it back on. It's been fine ever since.

3. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Anything power intensive is going to make the phone run hot, be it GPS or loading up the proc or both. If it's constantly searching for a signal, it will get hot.

4. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was in my car on a 8 lane (roofless) freeway. So it was not searching for any signals.

BTW, that trapster thing is a joke. It solely depends on user input and has data from 4-5 days ago. Talk about tons of false alarms.

5. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

Now that's "burning-in" your device. haha! :D

6. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Yep. Mine gets warm when it uses the GPS for an extended period of time. When I first got my Droid I navigated to work (30 min drive from my house). By the time I get there it's quite warm. Having the screen on by itself for the same amount of time, say playing a youtube video, does not produce a warm droid.

For me it's just the beasts nature. I get warm when I work hard too ;).

I had a similar incident. Locale installed with a situation that uses location and time to change the phone sound settings (which I found out didn't work worth a hill of beans until you actually unlocked the phone so I've removed locale now), GPS on, inside a house, droid in my pocket. Good thing it's winter here hahaha.