• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid saved the weekend...stories from real life

Trip this weekend to a competition my son was involved in...we had to drive about 150 miles to another city, navigate between four different locations while up there, and then get back home the next day. The previous year when we'd gone to this event we had gotten lost twice and actually missed being able to watch most of one event we were so late. So the pressure was huge to avoid a similar situation this year..

I set up nav shortcuts on one of my home pages to each of the four locations in the other town the night before. So in the morning we pulled out of the garage, I tapped the icon for the first destination and off we went, faultlessly directed to our hotel.

On the way there, my wife says "I'd really like to hear some music, do you have any Elton John?" (So sue her, she's a child of the 70's. ;) ) "Nope," says I "but I think I know where we can find some." So I tell her how to fire up Slacker on the Droid and she enters "Elton John" and a few seconds later she is rocking to the sound of "Crocodile Rock" and various other artists she likes.

Nav interrupted Elton et al when necessary to provide directions.

Used the shortcuts the rest of the weekend to move between the four locations w/out fault. Looked up traffic a few times to decide whether to bail on a route or not.

No screams of "What street do I turn on, what street!?!" from me, and no wails of "I can't tell, I can't tell - Oh the humanity!!!" from my wife. Pure wedded bliss maintained, with Slacker providing the 70's soundtrack for the our weekend montage...

Big high-five for the husband/geek and his new Droid. Hey, don't leave me hangin'... :D

I guess a new slogan for Verizon Droid could be "Don't leave home without it" they seem do like moking others peoples ads so why not!

Upvote 0
Yesterday was the first time I used the nav. I just tested from a local theater and back home.

When I pulled up in my driveway and stopped the street view came on showing my neighbors truck in his driveway and my dog in his front yard!

My dog sitting there really freaked my girlfriend and I out.

Imagine seeing your girlfriend/wife coming out of your single male neighbors house! :eek:

Upvote 0
Droid didn't save a weekend yet for me but it saved my morning commute. I have what should be a 15 minute commute to work every morning all highway. I usually allow at least 30 minutes to get there just in case of traffic.

This morning as I drive across the overpass to get to the on ramp I noticed traffic was at a stand still in the direction I normally head. As I sat at the traffic light where I normally would get on the on ramp I pulled out the Droid... fired up google maps and checked the traffic. Sure enough for the next few miles it was showing red (stopped/bad traffic). I navigated side streets to an on ramp a few miles down; where Google Maps was showing traffic was clear. Sure enough traffic was fine there. Just as I got on the highway I hear the morning traffic report on the radio; a car was flipped over in the center lane a mile or so before where I got on. I got to work with roughly 3 minutes before starting time. :)

Without the Droid I would not have known which on ramp to shoot for to try and bypass the traffic.

Upvote 0
Droid didn't save a weekend yet for me but it saved my morning commute. I have what should be a 15 minute commute to work every morning all highway. I usually allow at least 30 minutes to get there just in case of traffic.

This morning as I drive across the overpass to get to the on ramp I noticed traffic was at a stand still in the direction I normally head. As I sat at the traffic light where I normally would get on the on ramp I pulled out the Droid... fired up google maps and checked the traffic. Sure enough for the next few miles it was showing red (stopped/bad traffic). I navigated side streets to an on ramp a few miles down; where Google Maps was showing traffic was clear. Sure enough traffic was fine there. Just as I got on the highway I hear the morning traffic report on the radio; a car was flipped over in the center lane a mile or so before where I got on. I got to work with roughly 3 minutes before starting time. :)

Without the Droid I would not have known which on ramp to shoot for to try and bypass the traffic.

Imagine what will happen when Google gets the routing to adjust for traffic, this thing is going to rock.

I have noticed when you work with the Droid instead of against it, its very enlightening. Hats off the the Droid team at Google.

Upvote 0
Imagine what will happen when Google gets the routing to adjust for traffic, this thing is going to rock.

I have noticed when you work with the Droid instead of against it, its very enlightening. Hats off the the Droid team at Google.

Man, when this thing can reroute for traffic...I will die of excitement. That will be the start of all GPS navs doing it at a reasonable price, which could mean...gasp...the end of traffic! If all the gps navs are working around it (hopefully they end up collaborating) then no road will have too many cars, and we'll all have the fastest trip possible!

I use nav around town and taking long trips back home (DC --> NY) i know all the routes since i've taken them so much, but I just love how good it looks! I do find myself muting it around town, because when its constantly announcing every detail of every sign...it gets annoying. But on a long trip its not too bad to hear her say keep straight for 90 miles :D then smooth sailing! playing music and relaxing knowing google maps is in the driver seat

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones