Droid Screen Not Working

Last Updated:

1. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So today I go to take my phone out of my bag, pull it out of it's holster case, and hit the power button. Nothing happens. Odd...so I hold down the power button. Nothing. Odder. Pop out the battery, replace battery, try to power up the phone. Nothing (seemingly).

So now I'm getting worried. I realized that the screen was turning on, but the phone was not booting up (at least it didn't seem like it was...the phone is on silent so it may be, I don't really know). I could tell because there was a faint glow coming from the screen that, if I pulled out the battery, disappeared.

None of the buttons (home, back, etc.) light up or do anything. There is no haptic feedback or anything like that.

I'm at a loss about what could have happened / what might be wrong.

I'm guessing I'm going to need to get a replacement, but I'd figure I'd ask around here for any theories.

As, if/when I do need to replace the phone, I have a couple questions.
    1. I bought the phone at BestBuy. Do I go to BestBuy or Verizon for a replacement?

2. The phone is rooted. I'd rather not return it to the store in that condition, but I can't think of any way to unroot it without being able to do anything on the screen (I tried booting up into Recovery, didn't work). I haven't been home yet so I don't know if I can get it connected to the computer, but without debugging turned on I don't think I'll have much luck. Any thoughts?

3. I have a PhantomSkinz on the phone. I thought I read somewhere that the clear stick on cases (PhantomSkinz, Zagg, etc.) void the warranty. That may be complete BS, which I hope it is...can anyone confirm or deny?

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

My last one did this..turned out the backlights on the screen half ALL went out.

Try pulling the battery, putting it back in, and powering up. Hold the screen under a lightbulb at varying angles to see if the actual LCD is working, but the backlights arent. If it is, you can boot into recovery as usual and, using a flashlight or whatever, make a backup. You can also get into the bootloader and flash it back to stock.

I'm not sure about the clear skins.. best bet is to remove it and clean the phone with alcohol to remove any traces.

3. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm beginning to think it's not the screen. I can't seem to remotely back up or lock/alarm the phone with WaveSecure, which indicates to me it's something about the phone itself that's not working

:confused:

4. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will help, guide on unrooting droid -if your screen can turn on and stay on for a bit it might help?