droid sleeping while in car dock and charging?

Last Updated:

1. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Should it still go to sleep? I have the dock and whiled docked I am charging the phone but the screen still goes to sleep. Is there a way to keep it on at all times? I am using google listen and pandora while driving and would like the ui to stay up at all times.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

It's under:

Settings->Applications->Developer

"stay awake"

3. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

the downside of that method is that it will keep the screen on when you're charging at home, too, which since many people do it at night might not be acceptable.

according to this guy:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - droid car home problems/questions
    it's supposed to just work. that is, without tinkering with settings the screen is supposed to stay on while the droid in plugged in in the car, but not when plugged in at home.

if you can't get anything to work, check out the free ScreenModeWidget in the market.

4. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

VERIFY that's it's really charging. Is there a light shining from the USB port? By default it should not go to sleep when charging.

I had this happen today and just unplugged and replugged from the unit. Jiggle didn't work.

5. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys. That setting works and I can just put the screen to sleep manually when charging at home.

Also, I know it was charging in the car. The battery icon in the top right corner had a lightning bolt in it.

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

That's exactly how mine works.

Seems like a mixed bag of results tough.

7. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

It's about the charging. Charging = on. That's in the Verizon service bulletin as an FYI.

And the instructions for the doc say that if not plugged in it might sleep during nav. Or screen go off no sleep.

So, if not on while in dock = not charging and if that's the case I'd take it to Verizon and at least test with the floor model to see if it's the charger or phone.

8. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

I'd take it and have it checked with a test phone. What USB charger are you using? Maybe there's some pin that isn't right.