• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid slide out qwerty. Opinions

Totally agree... droid physical keyboard + thumbnails = win

I have not done a lot of typing yet on the physical keyboard, but when I do I AM using my thumbnails as it's more precise than my "fat" fingers. Is anyone else worried that one's nails will eventually chip away the letters on the keyboard? If the letters do rub off, would this be covered as a warranty issue?

Upvote 0
Okay I just used the touchscreen in landscape again - it's okay, but you give up so much of the screen with it. If I didn't hit so many other keys while thumb-typing on the physical board, I'd be able to get use to the rest of it.

Another question for us: are you a good PC keyboard typer (40 wpm or better, using home-row and touch-typing) and how do your droid typing skills compare?
Me - competent typer, 40-60 wpm, 100% touch. On Droid - more like 15 wpm, depending on how many corrections I have to make (including the auto-correction mistakes).

Upvote 0
I would say that i am an average Typer on a computer keyboard, maybe about 50-60wpm

On the Droid i would say...
Physical Keyboard-25-30wpm
Landscape Virtual-30-35wpm
Portrait Virtual-15-20wpm

I tested by running a timer on my computer and typing "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" as many times as i could and averaged out the wpm.

Landscape virtual was the best but i dont think i would use it as much because of how much of the screen it takes up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones