Droid Stuck At Red Eye Logo

Last Updated:

1. taylok

taylok New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys,

I have a rooted droid that was running cyanogen mod. I tried to change it back to the default 2.2 ROM through ROM manager, and after flashing the new ROM, it rebooted as normal, the motorola logo pops up, then changes to the default red eye, and hangs there forever.

I tried to hold x while booting up, and the icon with the exclamation point inside the triangle floating over the phone shows up, but it just hangs there forever as well, and I can't get a menu to come up.

I can get into the bootloader while holding up on the dpad during bootup, and it says "OK to program".

Do I have any other option than using SPRecovery (If thats even an option, sorry I'm new to this)?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it anywhere.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Define forever - whenever you install a new ROM sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes as it does things in the background preparing for a first run....

3. taylok

Forever is that I've left it overnight. So 8+ hours.

I've currently left it on the exclamation point inside the triangle screen, and its been that way for about an hour.

Sorry for not being specific

4. johnlgalt

That is your phone booted into the stock recovery. Unfortunately, IIRC your battery does not charge when in that mode (but I may be wrong, I have seen arguments both ways on this).

You'll probably need to reflash, and that part where you are now should do the trick to reflash the 2.2 update. However, the description you've given sounds like it is the stock recovery, so in that case you may not be able to flash anything else until you get rooted and flash an alternative recovery.

5. taylok

Okay, so how would I go about trying to flash the 2.2 update from the stock recovery screen?

Or, how would I go about getting my phone rooted from this screen so I could flash something?

Sorry for being so unsure of things, I just don't want to mess anything up and end up bricking my phone

6. johnlgalt

You can't root from where you are now.

You'll need to get the master FroYo update from Peter Alfonso and put it on your SDCard (probably using your computer to download and then an SDCard reader to transfer it to the SDCard) so that you can then flash it onto your phone.

However, when you are in the stock recovery, it will just sit there at hte triangle, you then need to press volume up (I think - one of the side buttons at any rate) to get into the actual recovery portion itself.

It is not like the alternate recoveries where it automatically loads. You've flashed a stock ROM onto your phone and that includes the stock recovery.

7. taylok

I got the file onto my sd card as update.zip and applied it in recovery mode. (I used the file found here: Peter Alfonso)

I then chose to reboot my phone, and its been sitting at the red eye screen for about half an hour right now.

Is there anything else I could try?

I know there was a menu option in recovery to do a factory reset. Is this a plausible solution? I know it would erase all my data though, so if there was another way that would be preferable.

My battery life doesn't really matter as I have a friend with a droid, so I can always swap his battery into my phone if it dies.

8. sevenstars

sevenstars Banned