Droid: Sudden change in media dock charging behavior

Last Updated:

1. cjstaples

cjstaples New Member This Topic's Starter

Three Droids in the family, had for approx 1 month, with no real battery problems other than drain with GPS use. Battery usage extremely predictable. Until yesterday.

Day before yesterday, wife's phone reported battery charge of ~30% after being on media dock charger all night. Figured it was a connection glitch of some kind. Happened again today, then while I was looking at the phone, battery went from ~20% to 100%. Now seemed more like a status reading problem.

Picked up my phone from its media dock - a different one - and surprise surprise, it too was reading ~30% after being on dock charging all night.
    (Yes, we have power and the docks are plugged in.) Powering down phone doesn't reset status, still reads ~30%.

Son's Droid not exhibiting this problem. All phones are at 2.1 version. I use Battery Widget but wife does not. Suspect a recent app update is the cause, but no culprits found yet.

Curiouser and curiouser. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please comment.

Advertisement
  2. KlausBreuer

KlausBreuer New Member

I've heard before that this might simply be an error in your battery-checking software. Let the Droid run dry, so far out of battery juice that it'll turn itself off.
    Then recharge overnight and see if it happens again...

3. cjstaples

cjstaples New Member This Topic's Starter

Symptom resolved itself on both phones without any action taken. I hate those kinds of bugs.

4. tjoebgen

tjoebgen Well-Known Member

I've had several issues with a low battery warning. In all cases I was pretty sure that nothing could have drained it, but once or twice it was on the charger (like yours) when it happened.

Based on the many threads I've seen about this, I believe that there are 2 kinds of low-battery issues going on:
    1> false warning - twice now I've just turned the phone all the way off and then back on and it suddenly reported the correct battery level.

2> an errant app that failed to shut down while using cpu intensive functions. When I first got the droid, I was trying out lots of apps for synching and mailing. I'm sure that a couple of my battery issues were due to an app (gdocs specifically) getting stuck while trying to synch to the cloud and it kept hammering away while it was off the charger. GPS is a huge drain and I now make sure that I've exited the navigation portion of maps when I reach my destination, or told the app to end from it's menu instead of just pressing home, else the GPS keeps going.