Droid tether to Linux client

Last Updated:

1. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought I would make a thread specifically for using the Droid as a tether for a linux client. After looking into this quite thoroughly, I have come to the realization that this is not as trivial as it may sound. It seems odd that a device running linux would have the most difficulty connecting to another device running linux. But for those of us that love linux, we are kind of used to getting under the hood and making things work.

Please feel free to comment and also if someone is happily tethered under linux I would appreciate knowing how and what hardware etc.

I have found several options to use for tethering. Here is what I have found so far:

Tethering for Linux (non-rooted)
    Option 1
    There appears to be a way similar to using pdanet to hook up through the USB cable and no rooting is necesary. This sites gives pretty good instructions: Linux + GNU = Humans Enabled: How to Tether your Verizon Droid (as an Internet modem) to Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10
    They are written for Ubuntu, but nothing in there is distribution specific. I have not tried this yet.

Tethering for Linux (rooted)
    Option 1
    Using android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code is by far the simplest and easiest, if you have the right hardware in your linux box. The android wifi tether only operates in ad-hoc mode and it is far from trivial to get it to work in infrastructure or admin mode. The developers of this application have even said that this is beyond their expertise. This matters because most drivers for wifi cards in linux are open source and are not provided by the developer. Many of these cards will not hook up to an ad-hoc network. If you can find a wireless card that has linux drivers written by the manufacturer this may not be an issue and you can happily use android wifi tether.

Option 2
    It appears possible to compile native support for USB tethering into the android kernel. This issue thread gives the specifics:
    Issue 4 - android-wired-tether - Motorola Droid - Developing & Testing - Project Hosting on Google Code
    This is the approach that I am going to investigate, because I am really looking for a native solution that will connect to any linux box without added software to the client machine. This is quite complex to set up, but offers the best solution for me at the time.

I will post my results and any other findings back here. Again, I would appreciate anyones comments, especially if you are currently tethering your linux box to your Droid phone.

Advertisement