Droid Tethering

Last Updated:

1. makryger

makryger Member This Topic's Starter

So the hardware on this phone is great, and I could even get by with the software offerings I can find online so far. Except there's one thing that's missing from my must-haves: Wifi tethering. I see there are programs out there, but they look like you have to "root" your phone to do it. Will that be easy/doable with this phone? After rooting, will the wifi app just work?

Advertisement
  2. LxMeister

LxMeister Member

I, too, am hoping for tethering. Whether WiFi or Bluetooth, doesn't particularly matter to me, though I would prefer to not have to cable connect. Even if I have to keep paying Verizon for it, since I am already, (or rather my boss is) it's about the last thing that would make this the next phone for me.
    Fingers crossed!

3. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

This should work :)

4. MarvinAndroid

MarvinAndroid Well-Known Member

I don't see why Verizon wouldn't allow tethering through the Droid as long as you pay for it. They are doing it right now with the Blackberry's... it should be the same for their Android-based devices. I mean.. why not? They are probably making a killing on it because they charge you a fortune for it.

5. LxMeister

LxMeister Member

They do it for the WM phones as well. I doubt they'd remove that revenue source.

6. Headsong

Headsong Well-Known Member

A VZW insider rep on another board confirmed tethering.

And I have used PDAnet on my Centro quite happily. Fantastic program, very easy to set up and use...no brainer.

7. makryger

makryger Member This Topic's Starter

Umm, pay $15 a month to be able to use the internet I pay $30 a month for? That is not what I want. I am currently doing a 30 day trial of the imagio, and there is a free wifi tethering program that works great- without that VZAccess scam. That's why I'm so worried about moving away from Windows Mobile- sure, there may be lots of cool android apps, but where are the useful, free ones?

For those of you familiar with PDAnet- what does it mean "Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free with limitations to http connections only"?

8. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

Frankly, the lack of real tethering is Android's biggest shortcoming. The only non-root-ed option is windows only, last I checked. And that's just not acceptable.

Android needs Wifi-"tethering", Bluetooth DUN, Bluetooth PAN, and USB tethering. Out of the box.

(the second major shortcoming is the lack of full/true Google Apps in the browser)

9. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Whats the verdict on tethering?

Wireless or hardwire I absolutely need this feature!

10. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

But, what is the cost of tethering? for what the data plan costs, I think it should be included, but, sadly, I think its extra, quite a bit extra???

11. johnkzin

The Verdict is:

It sounds like Verizon will be allowing it, but Sprint and T-Mobile wont. No word on AT&T, since they're not deployed Android any time soon.

So, wait to see if Verizon really does support it, and then if it's essential to you, the Verizon version(s) of Android will be your only hope.

12. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

May allow it, but at what cost??

13. knickerbocker

knickerbocker Well-Known Member

I am sure it will cost $15 a month on Verizon or if you are just using it every now and then - I would suggest PDAnet (link posted by Carl C)

14. mkibrick

mkibrick Well-Known Member

DroidDoes Twitter feed has confirmed that there WILL NOT be tethering:

@DroidDoes Will the Droid support tethering?
    @dsearl5263 No to tethering. Don't forget to tell us how you like the device.

15. BSmith

BSmith Well-Known Member

It's not going to allow FTP connections and a few other ones. I remember running into a problem once and it was because I reloaded the software and didn't enter the keycode, although I can't remember what it was.

Basically it comes down to not having full/real internet like you do at your house once the trial expires. The web browsing will still work fine though.

I've used up to 14 gigs a month on AT&T with PDAnet without a problem for at least 6 months. I even canceled my internet at my house because I was downloading at 150-200K a second through 3G/PDAnet.

Not to say Verizon won't catch on but you never know.

16. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

So if the only way to get tethering is by rooting the phone, will we be able to root this phone out of the box? With this being the first 2.0 phone, are we going to have to wait to root it. I'm in the same boat. Want the Droid, but may go with the Imaggio just so I can do tethering with it.

17. knickerbocker

You can tether with PDAnet (USB) without root.

18. johnkzin

If your client machine is Windows based. Otherwise PDAnet is useless.

19. johnkzin

PDAnet, in this context, doesn't mean AT&T's data service. It means an application you can run on Android phones that does a light version of USB tethering to Windows computers (and only Windows computers).

20. knickerbocker

That is true. I guess I always assume someone has a windows machine.

If all you have a is a mac, I assume you have an iPhone and don't care.

If you have a linux box, I am guessing you are the kind of person that at least has Windows running on a partition.

21. johnkzin

An understandable, but not valid, assumption. I know lots of mac owners who don't have, and don't want, an iPhone. For one, there's that "anything without a keyboard sucks a*s" truism. Then there's the "Macs are open enough, but the iPhone is not" perspective.

Some people use Linux exactly to avoid running Windows at all.

In fact, I'm in both of those categories. I have Mac and Linux systems, but refuse to run Windows. I kicked that disease 10 years ago, and have no desire to be re-infected.

22. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

I have a Mac and 4 Windows machines in my house. Just sold my iPhone to buy the Droid on Friday (I like a phone that can make phone calls, doesn't really matter what else it can do). I'd like to tether from a Windows machine. Looked at the link for PDANet. Curious if this is something that is loaded onto the computer, the Android device, or both. Before I plunk down $29 for it, is anyone using it with success on an Android device?

23. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Yeah, no tethering it appears.. linky

I'll look into the PDAnet & possibly the Imagio :confused:

24. johnkzin

Hm. That link says the opposite of what you make it out to say.

It says that Verizon _will_ have tethering for the Droid, and that it's expected to be a $15/mo add-on. The only catch is that it wont be available for 3-6 months from now. That's a MUCH better time frame than tethering on previous Android devices.

25. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Well yes, but tethering is my only access to the internet from my home computers. (I've been doing this for years with my Moto Q)

With that said, 3-6 months (or more) might force me to consider other options.

I searched for the pdanet info here but didn't find the right link. Can someone point me in the right direction?