Droid tips, tricks, and easter eggs

Last Updated:

1. lobe50

lobe50 Well-Known Member

I have been following this post, and Don't think it was mentioned yet.

But if you spin the unlock dial on the screen w you finger on the sound circle to the left it spins around ans then turns to "Sound Off"

Pretty Cool & Quick way to silence the phone w/o even unlocking it :)

And BTW ....whats up w that stupid Tutorial?? I thought mine was incomplete or something...it only has like 1 page dealing w the keyboard??
    Why bother??? :confused:

Advertisements
  2. Yong

Yong Member

short cuts with the key pad. hold down the search button. and press a key. and u can customize them in the settings->application settings->quick launch.

search + e: email
    search + y: youtube
    search + b: browser
    search + c: contacts
    search + g: gmail
    search + l: calendar
    search + p: music
    search + s: messaging

3. jer.lawrence

jer.lawrence Well-Known Member

Multiple Browser Windows

Saw a question about this in another thread, figured I'd add it on.

The OP of this thread should compile all of these tips into the first post or something. Anyway...

When you're in the browser, you can use the Menu key, and select "New Window." Then, whenever you want to swap back to a previous page you had open, you can select Menu >> Windows, and it shows you a listing of all the browser windows open.

Kind of like multiple tabs.

4. Juneau

Juneau Well-Known Member

There is a way to change the voice in Google Navigation, and everything else. Menu > settings > text to speech > Always use my settings should be checked > then change the language. Hope this helps. Still digitized but cool for other languages or a British accent.

5. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Camera Fix until new software

I made a separate thread for this, but I thought I would post it here as well.

To get the camera to autofocus quickly set the scene mode to "action" and you will get a fast green focus (this is probably a fast shutter speed mode). Works for Shopsavvy and barcode scanner as well.

SteveBaz, aje127 and HumanContract like this.
  6. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Shopsavvy works perfectly since their Sunday update for Droid (IIRC it was sunday). If you downloaded friday/saturday, find it in the app store and it should say update avail.

7. virtus

virtus Well-Known Member

8. Thanassi44

Thanassi44 Member

If anyone has already mentioned this, I apologize, but I think its pretty cool...

A couple months ago I bought a set of $30 dollar iPhone headphones with built in mic for my iPod classic. The mic allows for voice recording on the iPod, as well as pause/play and track skipping. I really enjoyed the convenience of these earbuds on my iPod, and thought I'd try them out on the Droid. Here are the results:

For phone calls, they do what you'd expect. Answer/End calls. Although they don't prompt voice commands like they did on my LG Dare, which I thought was also a great feature. Callers heard me pretty well on the other end, although I did have to hold the mic closer to my mouth outdoors, as I've seen most people with the iPhone do.

For the music player (MP3s on the phone) and Pandora:
    Clicking the mic pauses and restarts audio playback, although with some minor inconsistency. Sometimes it took 1 click, sometimes two, or up to three. The phone seems to go "dormant" at some point and the extra click or two is necessary to "awaken" it, if you will. However, once initiated, each successive click will instantly pause/play without delay.

Another neat feature discovered: after closing or killing all the apps with taskiller or advanced task killer, clicking the mic will automatically start the last music app and the last song that was playing, (although in the media player's case, from the beginning. But I don't think that has anything to do with the headset).

So if you have an iPhone headset, try it out. Enjoy! :)

9. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

I would suggest going to best buy to get "Ghost Armor," I for one never buy anything at best buy becuase the ridiculous prices, but when they told me they would wrap my phone for $19 I had to do it. They have a professional installer that will put on the protective layer for you. It was actually cheaper at the store with the install then just to buy the armor online! It was installed flawlessly and and comes with a lifetime warranty, so if it ever peels or scratches they will put on a new one for you. This stuff is great!

(however, you cant use your phone for 24 hours! :eek:, I don't know how i will last till tomorrow night... )

10. OutGolfn

OutGolfn Member

I can confirm this does work on my Droid as well. Every little bit helps! Also if anyone doesn't know how to display the ",," press the symbol button in the lower left corner of the dial pad and that will bring it up.

gildobie5803 likes this.
  11. MBanshee

MBanshee Member

The manual is pretty clear on all basic functions, and I'm picking up a few ideas just walking through it. Sorta surprised they don't have a link of some sort to it on the home screen.
    DROID by Motorola Support - Motorola USA

12. CaptainRon

CaptainRon Well-Known Member

Great tip. Thanks!

13. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

In order to keep this thread beneficial, I am removing questions from it as I see them posted.

DO NOT POST QUESTIONS TO THIS THREAD! THEY WILL BE REMOVED!

Thanks for understanding. And now, back to the show!

14. goldee024

goldee024 New Member

You can voice dial a contact by clicking the microphone on the google search bar and then saying your contact's name. To confirm the correct contact, you don't have to CLICK the dial button, you can just SAY "DIAL" and it will automatically start dialing.

Just a useful little trick.

15. goldee024

goldee024 New Member

FREE app in marketplace called "Dock Runner."

I was hoping there was a way to run the multimedia dock without purchasing the dock because I read some posts about it automatically popping up when sliding the droid into a case with a magnet on it.

I kept reading some threads and someone posted about the Dock Runner App. I downloaded it, and it works great.

16. MrShneeblie

MrShneeblie Member

Coming from the iPhone I thought it was cool that you can speak an MMS message. I think you have to have Handcent MMS. Just click in the area where you would normally type a message and hit the MENU then SPEAK. Just say what you want like - BE HOME LATE and voila - the text appears in the MMS area and just hit send. I did not see that option under the built in Messaging app.

Sorry if this is old news. Kinda cool.

17. chachi

chachi New Member

Screen always on while charing tip.

I just found this while looking through applications.

Menu/Settings/Applications/Development/Stay Awake(Screen will never sleep while charging)

This is useful for me because I plug the phone in at night and use it as an alarm clock I can now check the time without pushing the lock button, and bonus is it auto dims.

SteveBaz likes this.
  18. nka

nka Active Member

I saw that tip posted on a couple of sites. That hasn't been my experience, as none of my contacts are in that format. Additionally, if you call your own GV number and then hit 2, you can dial out.

I wish GV has something similar to GV mobile on the iPhone where you can dial out directly from the Google Voice app. The Droid app seems to either ask you to have GV always dial out, or to have to select either GV or Verizon each time you want to dial out.

19. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Email:
    People have said that you cannot delete multiple emails at once. Yes you can. You check the left box on each email then delete. It will delete all checked. Whether there is a select all or not I don't know.

Internet:
    If you long press the back button it brings up your browsing history so you can back track without having to hit the back button 10 times.

*Basically try long pressing everything and anything and you'll find extra options. =)

Vibrate on SMS:
    In the sound & display options theres an option to vibrate and ring. I also want my phone to vibrate & notify. There was no option for that. But if you go to your messaging app and hit the menu button> settings > at the very bottom theres a check box to vibrate & notify.

*Please Android make ringer profiles!!! The only mobileOS in existence that can't! (Without an app.)

note: Beautifu Silence Widget is a free widget in the Market that allows you to switch your phone to vibrate mode. HTC Sense looking widget. 1 for silence, 1 for vibrate. Silence you can toggle from the lock screen. (Any way to switch it to toggle vibrate instead?)

Camera:
    The DROIDdoes take good pictures. Just with the crappy software right now you have do little things to help it along.

1. Light Light Light! The sensor is so small and the megapixels so high that it creates a lot of heat, giving you noise. Darkness is bad for this.

2. From what I've experienced Auto WB does a better job that the presets. Still not very good all the time.

3. Macro focusing: You have to be about 2-4 inches away from your subject for it to properly focus. Macro means up close! I found it varies from subject and time to time so just keep trying to refocus till it locks green.

4. Auto focusing: There is a dead range between the macro and regular focusing. If you are 2-4 inches away from your subject it will macro focus. between that 4-10 inch range the camera will not focus. Pull away past that and you can lock green focus.

5. Focusing: Sometimes it will not lock. Just try and refocus. This is most likely software issues and hopefully will be fixed in the Dec. 11th OTA.

But you can take some decent pictures with the camera you just have to set up right. Kind of bad for just no-brain point and shooting. But again, hopefully the OTA will fix these issues.

Here's a couple of samples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if you have Photoshop, well you can edit in camera raw. (just file>open as... pick camera raw from the drop down and select the jpg you want and open it) You can improve the quality even more.
    [​IMG]

rcaine and halytech like this.
  20. KobrioJohn

KobrioJohn New Member

I tried this and it didnt work for me. I used your example and tried diffrent variations and no luck . How man pauses need to be in it?

21. indolent

indolent Well-Known Member

3 pauses seems to work for me

22. nka

nka Active Member

I ditched Verizon voicemail and am using GV for it. 2 pauses is all I need. Thanks for the tip OP. I was trying to figure out how to add 2 second pauses. Too bad you have to have the keyboard open to do this though.

23. dep

dep Active Member

You can also depress the power button for a few moments to show a menu to toggle certain phone modes.

24. j2j3

j2j3 New Member

In regards to the "There is no room for this on the home screen", don't forget you start off with 3 home screens. You can switch between them just by dragging to one side or the other. This lets you have room for big widgets like Pandora (why so big?) or the built in power manager. So check and see if you've space on either side of the main page. There is an app out there as well that increases the home pages to 7 but I can't remember the name.

25. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Tip:

You can set the browser font size and amount of double tap zoom by clicking on the menu key while the broser is open, clicking "more", and clicking settings. I find using the "Huge" setting for font size and the "far" setting for zoom makes landscape reading easy with just the right amount of zoom to see all the text.