Droid to get 2.2 soon, says Motorola spokesperson

When do you think the Droid will get an OTA update for 2.2?

1. June

64 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. July

50 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. August

34 vote(s)
    17.7%
  4. September

16 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. October or later

28 vote(s)
    14.6%

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I won't hold my breath, given their track record. I believe it when my phone's screen says, "Do you want to update?"

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

didnt they say the same thing about 2.1?? I am guessing soon means in the next 3-6 months

4. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Even once Motorola gets done with the update, they still have to release it to Verizon...

5. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's hard to not have this attitude after the 2.1 update fiasco. But, I don't think it would be hard for them to get 2.2 on Droid relatively fast since the OS is just as vanilla as the Nexus one with no manufacture skins/UI to get in the way of the update. Plus, given the performance increase demonstrated by 2.2, this update should (hopefully) bring Droids speed up to or faster than the current Incredible's performance, breathing new life into the Droid. So it would be very unwise for Moto to not want to expedite this release.

6. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Is the Droid Incredible a Google Experience phone? If it is, they might update that one before our Droid. Just wondering...

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

it has sense....so no

8. Spike760

Spike760 Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a manual way to install Froyo 2.2? I know when Eclair 2.1 came out, my phone never said anything about updating, but I followed instructions in a post on this forum and downloaded a .zip and was able to manually install it no problems. Who knows when I would've even gotten the 2.1 update if I didn't. Like back then, I even went to the 'about phone' and checked to see if any updates were available knowing 2.1 had been released but it insisted my phone was up to date.

9. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

No the same thing, since two different OEMs. Motorola is infamous for delays- even without something like Sense. My guess is both will see 2.2 around the same time. Motorola, due to there slowness for updates and HTC, since need to bolt their Sense stuff on it.

Either case, "near future" is a relative term. My guess is August is best case and September more likely.

10. christine600

christine600 Member

I belive the guys and girls at Motorola have been playing with Froyo for weeks already beeing a partner and all.

11. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It sure would be nice to come up with a "Guess Rating" for people who want to participate. When a new update comes out like this, there should be a poll where everyone guess' when it will come out. Then when it does comes out, you get some kind of rating. It then gets averaged in with all your other guess'. Then you opt to have it posted somewhere under your username on each post. After a while, it would give good insight into the people who really know what they are talking about.

12. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Would there be a way to tie that idea into a poll? That might be a way of at least logging what each person's prognostication is.

13. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

if they say June..expect it in September.

14. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Good idea. I've added a poll to this thread :D

Please vote everyone :)

15. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Im hoping in june

16. MinConst

MinConst Well-Known Member

Here we go again.

17. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I hope it takes until October ... just tweak everyone who joneses over these updates so much

18. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I'll guess July, with a manual update.zip method available... well, hopefully any day now! ;)

19. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Like somebody said Motorola will have it ready but it must go through WEEKS of approval through Verizon(Motorola had 2.1 ready back in Feb if I recall). I can wait, 2.2 speed is all i care for. Motorola failed to port the 3D launcher, wifi tether will be reigned in by Verizon, and I dont care for mobile flash killing my battery.

20. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

flash doesnt kill the battery according to N1 owners. its an optional .apk so you can choose not to have it. if you do just run it off the SD card since its 12mb

i hope we get the FULL 2.2 minus the tethering if vz allows. i want the 5 screens and 3d launcher, apps2sd especially since the phone will run faster with JIT.

21. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

OH NO - date speculations!!! (DROID SMASH!)
    I did vote July though because I like clicking radio buttons :)

They will take their time, there are newer phones that will get it first. N1 got it before Incredible and I am surprised at that.
    I think early June for custom ROMs with the bugs worked out and July from VZW.

22. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

HTC people had components working before Moto folks, so why not?
    N

23. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

What makes you think that 2.2 will give Droid 5 screens and a 3d Launcher? Both of those items where left out by Moto/VZW with the 2.1 update...Just curious if you know of something we don't :D

24. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I think your time frame is probably the most plausible. I voted June, but that was just me wanting it to come fast for non-rooted users... :)

25. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Since there seemed to be no rhyme or reason for the delay on 2.1 for Droid I don't see how anyone can accurately predict when Motorola will be done with 2.2. It'll be a guess at best.

If you are that keen on getting 2.2, root your Droid (it's really not very difficult) and get it once the 2.2 AOSP code is released. I'm sure Cyanogen will have a ROM cooked up pretty quick once that happens.