• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Ultra Maxx (not maxx 2) battery replacement issue

I have a Droid Ultra MAXX. The battery is dead. Will not charge at all. So, cannot turn it on. I found that I can, perhaps, get a battery on line and install it myself. Since the phone is currently DOA, this is a minor risk. When I search for Droid Ultra Maxx batteries I get listings for the XT1080, among others. What specific # of battery should I look for? I get several titled "Eu20 2130mah Replacement Battery For Motorola Droid Ultra Xt1080" but I am unsure.

Any help is appreciated.

RON

The ultra and max were essentially the same phone with only a difference in battery size and wireless charging (maxx yes, ultra no.) The Ultra (xt1080) had the 2150 battery, the maxx (xt1080m) has a 3500 mah battery. The ultra battery will work in the maxx, but obviously will have reduced battery capacity.

Sorry, I don't know part numbers, but I'd try searching for xt1080m.

By the way, the phone was not called the "ultra maxx". There were two phones - the Droid Ultra and the Droid Maxx.

Upvote 0
On the original Droid Maxx 32 GB phone, it is printed on the bottom, beneath the Verizon logo and the EU CE certification number, in very fine print.

I should note that the original 32 GB Maxx was replaced in May 2014 with a 16 GB model with different casing; I've never seen it and don't know if the model number printed is the same.

17d6b1c07df6da46de9c19ecdd79ecbf.jpg

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
I swear I read back when the MAXX was new, that someone discovered you could put a MAXX battery in an Ultra and it would "think" it was a maxx and report as such under About This Phone. Simply using a MAXX back cover solved the fitment issue.
Still have my MAXX, tempted to jump to the Turbo2 but never did. Kind of mad at moto for not updating the MAXX as promised... Not sure I want to give them more of my $$.

Upvote 0
I swear I read back when the MAXX was new, that someone discovered you could put a MAXX battery in an Ultra and it would "think" it was a maxx and report as such under About This Phone. Simply using a MAXX back cover solved the fitment issue.
Yes, I think you're right.

Some more helpful info:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+DROID+MAXX+Battery+Replacement/33737
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Battery-Compatible-Motorola-XT1080m/dp/B00KAWJ2DO

(I can't endorse that last link, but it *looks* right.)

Reactions: SNeitzel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones