Droid Update working On Eris? A thought maybe?

1. Brians0717

Brians0717 Member

I was reading about Verizon's rolling out of the 2.1 Update for the Moto Droids, but one thing that seemed to stand out was that the Moto update was signed by HTC.

Don’t Wait For Verizon To Update Your Droid To 2.1 – Do It Yourself And Do It Now | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

The Download for the Moto Droid update is available for download on Google. We all are running the same operating system so maybe the update would work on the Eris' also. Some people Mentioned when using the leaked versions of 2.1 on their Eris' that some apps recongnized them as using the SDK (who's 2.1 update is available as a download for on the official Android website) Which leads me to the theory that people have been loading the SDK update on their Eris'.........once again this is all theory and just a quick thought.

Advertisement
  2. sierrarot328i

sierrarot328i Active Member

i just tried... failed.

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.
  3. Brians0717

Brians0717 Member

ahhh oh well it was worth a shot though. But if verizon is releasing it for the Moto, that should mean the Eris should be getting it soon.
  4. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

Since it has Moto's signature and not HTCs it will fail. It is also the wrong architecture, and if you were able to flash it your phone would be worthless.

IF and a BIG IF I have time, I will see if I can pull anything useful out of it.
  5. I would think it would be like putting diesel in a petrol car.
  6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Is there a Chicago in the U.K. or Australia? :D

(best response: "No, but there's a Brit [ or Aussie ] in Chicago)
  7. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Ha! The petrol thing sort of hit me like the lines:

"....he was a ri-****."
    "A what?"
    "A ri-****."
    "You mean re-****?"

Many will get it, some will say WTF?!
  8. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

who doesn't know the hangover?!
  9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That's half the fun of being an acerbic sort. ;)
  10. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

HTC's bootloader looks for a file named PB00IMG.zip (and a few other possible names). It simply ignores a file named "update.zip". Maybe if you renamed it it would work... ;)
  11. Brians0717

Brians0717 Member

Now there's a thought, anyone try it?