• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid UTF / non-English font support

After my droid synced with my Facebook contacts, one of my friends who set his name in some asian characters (sorry, I can't tell the difference between the alphabets) displayed just fine in my contacts list. I assume it's the same across the platform.

Well, that's not good news for me :(
I hope it's not a bug/glitch in some of the Droid handsets.

Upvote 0
I dumped all my gmail contacts onto my droid, including a couple dozen Japanese names in kanji, with no problems. They all kinda sink to the bottom of the contact list though instead of being properly alphabetized. Reading emails in my gmail account, the droid flawlessly shows kanji, hiragana, and katakana.

BBC's Chinese and Russian both work fine (not that I can read them, but I see actual characters :p) Do you have any emails you can try to read in Persian? It may just be the browser is what I am thinking. There are certain other non-english alphabets the phone displays quite well though. Still trying to figure out how to INPUT in anything beside English however...

Upvote 0
BBC's Chinese and Russian both work fine (not that I can read them, but I see actual characters :p) Do you have any emails you can try to read in Persian? It may just be the browser is what I am thinking.

I also can see BBC Chinese and Russian with no problem :thinking:
I checked GMail and Email apps with Persian messages and it didn't work (the characters were garbage again!)

bgalfond said:
Still trying to figure out how to INPUT in anything beside English however...

I found this page to be helpful for non-English keyboards, though it didn't work with Persian (you can't see the characters on soft keyboard) :(

HowTo - softkeyboard - How to install and use Any Soft Keyboard - Project Hosting on Google Code

Upvote 0
Hi my Droid show non-English (Chinese/Japanese) in browser without any problem. Even Android Market works for those language. But when I drag and drop my non-English folder and music file to the the SD, the music player sfail to show them. I'm not sure if this is caused by music player implementation or something is wrong?
Is there any other music player app capable to show UTF or non-English char? Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones