Droid very hot during data usage low signalSupport

1. mode

mode Active Member

Sorry for the jumbled title ... I haven't found a way to concisely state this problem. I also did some searching but came up with nothing.

Droid setup:
    • CyanogenMod 5.0.5.7
    • P3Droid's overclocking kernel @ 1 GHZ (don't stop here, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with overclocking).

Background:
    At my work, I leave my Droid in the cradle and stream Pandora for most of the day. At work, my signal rests around -93db most of the time and occasionally bounces from 3G to 1x seemingly randomly. I've noticed that I need a signal strength of -93 to stream reliably, one or two db less and I can't stream at all.

Problem:
    Unfortunately, I've been having an issue where the the phone gets very hot during streaming and then the stream cuts off. The cpu temp (as reported by tempmonitor) shows as 55 C. The back (up top) is extremely hot as well.

Troubleshooting:
    • While I'm in my car, I can stream pandora as long as I want without issue. The temperature very rarely exceeds 42 C. Under a heavy load (without using the data), my phone never exceeds 45 C.
    • Additionally, I have experienced this issue while not rooted (in 2.1) as well, I just never had any other method to monitor to the temperature other than touching the back of the phone.

Theory:
    I suspect that the issue has to do with the phone delivering more power to the antenna in order to pull down a proper signal ... but I can't believe it's getting this hot. Touching the back of the phone almost leads to being burned. Is there an app to monitor this? AFAIK the antenna module doesn't have a temperature sensor to tap into.

I'm still trying to track down the issue and was hoping if more people are having the issue we can work together to figure it out. If you have a theory, I'd love to try and test some out.

Thanks!
    ~mode

Advertisement
    :
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Well, I can tell you this much - on most of CM and CM-based ROMs, when using Pandora and Nav OCing is recommended to be disabled completely (well, almost - setting the OC to 600, which technically is not an OC as that is the processor default operating speed, even if Motorola underclocked our phones). So, it is not surprising that this is occurring.

Since you are OCing, you could set your charging profile to lower the OC to 600 so that it will limit the overheating caused by it.

I suspect your analysis is correct, and that is why it also occurs when you use 2 different apps pulling a lot of data (like Pandora and Nav).
  3. Jceinc

Jceinc Well-Known Member

Mine gets hot while talking on the phone.
  4. mode

mode Active Member

Interesting.

Today when I tried to replicate the issue ... I couldn't. My signal dropped out once, but it never got as hot as it has the past couple of times.

Figures. The issue is frequent until I try to replicate it, then it's non-existent :)