Droid vs Droid Pro

Last Updated:

1. Sokudo Ningyou

Sokudo Ningyou Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've never had a smart phone before, but I'm seriously considering upgrading my flip phone to a Droid. (Being ridiculously geeky means anything Star Wars=MUST HAVE NOW.) But I'm curious if anyone can give me some answers to questions I have about these two phones.

I'm really not interested in high data use on them, like major Internet browsing or downloading movies or the like, so if I use it mostly just for e-mail and other minimal apps, would I still be using a lot of data? (I have Verizon, and we're automatically on a $9.99 data charge; I'm thinking of simply upping it to the minimum $15 for smartphones, which is 150mb, email included.) I have been reading the wifi vs 3G thread, so I'm also assuming the question may be moot if I simply use the wifi more often when I'm at home.

The Droid Pro has the qwerty keyboard on the bottom and always out; Droid 2 is a slider. Is the always out qwerty easier to handle? I kind of like the hidden keyboard, but I also like to text one-handed. Granted, one-handed on a flip phone is probably way different from a smartphone.

Ringtones; I need to be able to make my own and use them. I use BitPim now on my LG, but I've found pages saying all you need to do is make an mp3, put them in particular folders on the card, and slap it back in. Is this true? Is it really that easy to put my own tones on? And is it possible, then, to mark different text tones as well, like my old LG? (As in, can I have a text tone for, say, "Tim," and a different one for "Adam"?)

And just to be even geekier, has anyone else seen the Vader iPhone case and tried to fit it on their Droid?

Thank you, any and every one who replies.

Advertisement
  2. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

sounds like the perfect solution for you would be the r2d2 edition droid2 Set Your Location

to answer your questions:

I'm really not interested in high data use on them, like major Internet browsing or downloading movies or the like, so if I use it mostly just for e-mail and other minimal apps, would I still be using a lot of data? (I have Verizon, and we're automatically on a $9.99 data charge; I'm thinking of simply upping it to the minimum $15 for smartphones, which is 150mb, email included.) I have been reading the wifi vs 3G thread, so I'm also assuming the question may be moot if I simply use the wifi more often when I'm at home.

If you are POSITIVE you are going to be on wifi more than 70% of the time, and dont plan to have things like weather widgets, facebook updates, and other things that poll often, then yes the 150mb plan will work, but you will have to watch your usage carefully.

The Droid Pro has the qwerty keyboard on the bottom and always out; Droid 2 is a slider. Is the always out qwerty easier to handle? I kind of like the hidden keyboard, but I also like to text one-handed. Granted, one-handed on a flip phone is probably way different from a smartphone.

i havent handled the pro yet, so i cant compare the 2. but i can compare my droid2 to a bb curve, and can say hand down one handed texting was easier on the curve. but overall texting is better on the droid2.

Ringtones; I need to be able to make my own and use them. I use BitPim now on my LG, but I've found pages saying all you need to do is make an mp3, put them in particular folders on the card, and slap it back in. Is this true? Is it really that easy to put my own tones on? And is it possible, then, to mark different text tones as well, like my old LG? (As in, can I have a text tone for, say, "Tim," and a different one for "Adam"?)

i use an app called ringdroid, that lets me edit mp3 songs i have and select the part of the song i want to use as a ringtone, and save it. its pretty simple, even easier if you have any experience with audio editing software. as for assigning contacts seperate ringtones, yes. for calls anyways. you cannot for texts. but i believe the app handcent sms can change sms ringtones for individual contacts.

both apps would be avalible on the droid2 and pro.

3. Sokudo Ningyou

Oo, thank you. And yes, I did see the R2D2 version, but they also want a crapton more money, and if I buy a case, it'd be covering up everything I paid extra for. So. I figure a Droid in any event is still geekery personified.

Can anyone else verify that the handcent app personalizes text alerts for each caller?

Sorry, but I really want to know if it's worth it for me to plunk the money down, besides really really wanting it.

4. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

yes.

5. CT53

CT53 Well-Known Member

I think the Droid Pro is a good phone for Blackberry users who are just switching to the Droid side. I consider it a good phone for a Blackberry user to get to slowly transition them into a Droid user.

The Droid 2 is all touch screen with the slide out so I consider it more of an Original Android Device.

You had a flip phone so I would say to dive right in and get a D2 or the R2D2. Or if you want to wait a little while you can get the HTC Merge when it comes out.

6. CT53

CT53 Well-Known Member

Android phones have been made super strong and have Gorilla Glass so I would not worry about getting a case so you don't have to cover up that beautiful R2D2 look.

7. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

they can still scratch though. i have about a 1/4" scratch on mine.

also, of you set it down on a table or desk alot, the motorola logo on the battery cover is raised just enough where it rests mostly on that, and it wears pretty quickly.

8. Sokudo Ningyou

Well, now I've been seduced by the touchscreen, so I'll be picking up a Droid X, hopefully on Saturday. Siiigh. So pretty. But thanks for everyone's comments!