Droid vs. Droid X

Last Updated:

1. Curt941

Curt941 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I am new to Android, coming from an iphone 3gs.

My wife and I will be switching over to verizon because it'll be cheaper for us, and I have a delima.

I can get a Droid X for $200 and then get my wife a phone, or get 2 Droids for $150.

At first I thought for sure I wanted the X, but i've been hearing about people overclocking original Droids to 1.2ghz, and isntalling froyo, rooting, custom roms etc. and I like the idea of being able to play around. I don't care about HD video or HDMI out, as I don't see myself using it much.

So my final question, do you guys think it would be better to go ahead and get 2 droids for $150 and then at the end of the year or next year when 4G comes to verizon, upgrade to the new super phone then, or get a Droid X now?

Thanks Guys

Advertisement
  2. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

My personal opinion in your situation I would do the Droid x2

- you can root and you both get a sweet phone
    I wish they did the buy one get one when I got mine.

However in my current personal situation if I wasnt worrying about the wifes phone , I would get myself the Droid X for sure, the extra RAM would be really helpful all around. Supposedly they don't know if its an encrypted bootloader so its unsure if you will be able to load different roms and root but if they can and once they do Id rather have the bigger screen/ extra RAM.

3. Curt941

I should add that all I really use my phone for is calls, texting, email, web browsing, mapping, and if I can with froyo some tethering.

4. Curt941

Oh, and I just saw on wirefly I can get the droids for $19.99 a piece with a new verizon account. They don't have the $8/month insurance that is available when ordering through verizon's website. Can I add that later? Since i'm on the iphone i've never had cell phone insurance, so I'm new to that too, haha.

5. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Pssh, get the X and let your wife buy her own damn phone. :p

6. bowerman

bowerman Guest

I dont think you will be able to get the insurance from verizon, but I, and a lot of users here use a Third Party insurance company called Square Trade. I got 2 years of coverage including accidental for $114 (i found a coupon code online to save $30). IF you break the phone accidentally, they charge you $50 deduction. Its worth taking a look at.

7. Curt941

What is the replacement speed like? Does it cover everything including theft or lost phones?

What is the usual deductible for insurance through Verizon?

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Go with the X. Much better hardware and it will most likely get rooted eventually if not right away.

9. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Wait a month for the 2 for 1 deal that always comes around.

10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

At the end of the year? You plan to pay full price to upgrade then?

It's really your call to make. I'd wait but that's only because I already have the Droid. In your case, I'd suggest getting the latest and greatest to help stave off upgraditis.

11. Curt941

Well, since i'd essentially be getting 2 phones for $75 each, then at the end of the year I can just add a line for $10/month and get a new phone at contract price. I can then either sell one of the droids or just keep it as a backup.

The deal would be even better if I did the wirefly and only paid $20 per phone.

12. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

My suggestion: buy used Droids on ebay/craigslist (aka no 2 yr contract), root and ROM em if that makes you feel happy, and use them til the superphones come out and get THOSE subsidized on contracts.

13. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

I would have said the same, until I read the posts in the X forum about the encrypted bootloader. Looks like it's gonna be a tough nut to crack.

14. Curt941

A quick look at ebay shows Droid's going for $200+ used.

15. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

The X will be rooted and will have tethering. The only downside is there is a possibility of not being able to run custom ROMS. We would still be able to theme our apps and everything.

16. yournamepenor

yournamepenor Well-Known Member

Well i would prolly get the x so then youll have the newest thing and they prolly wont release much else besides the Droid 2 and if a keyboard is in your liking i would wait for that. and as for you wife. im pretty sure that there gona have a get an x get a droid thing. or if she dosnt need a keyboard get her the eris ladies like the eris. or an incredible. but the eris is free with 2 yr so.

17. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Look at it this way...

If you are a "new every 2 guy"...meaning you don't pay retail for every new phone that comes out and you are going to keep your device for 2 years...then I would recommend getting the Droid X (if for no other reason than the extra RAM).

I love my Moto Droid but I got on board when it first came out...meaning I am a year away from getting a new phone under NE2 pricing. I don't think I would be happy to stick with the Droid for almost another 2 years. You need to figure out if the Droid will be able to keep you satisfied considering that it is already outdated.

Now, the Droid is still one of the best phones and with custom ROMs...it holds it's own, but for how long? I don't think any currently available phone is that much better (if at all) than the original Droid. I'm waiting for a phone that REALLY stands out. Perhaps you can do something on a 1 year contract so you could pay a reasonable price for the Droid but still be in a position to upgrade when some "real" advancements are made in terms of new phones.

18. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

I bought my Droid and my wife's Eris the week the Droid came out through Sear's online store which basically uses a 3rd party very similar to Wirefly. I was able to add insurance on both phones easily as soon as they arrived by simply calling Verizon.

19. Curt941

Wirefly now has them for FREE! Dang that's a hard decision to make.

20. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

Droid X. Thats what im going with, and I have a rooted droid running 2.2. I just want all that extra screen real estate and the bumped up hardware!

21. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Well-Known Member

From what you are saying, it sounds like you'd be better off going with the 2 Droids. You like to play around and you enjoy the price for both phones. From what it sounds like, the Droid X is going to be a little difficult to get rooted right away. I'm sure it will happen, but for how long?

I've been running my Droid anywhere from 1 - 1.2 GHZ *Depending on my mood...* for about half a month now. No issues, and all the fun extra things I can do are great.

Just my $.02

22. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I'm sure it will take some time to get it rooted simply because of MotoBlur. Though I have no doubt that our extremely talented hackers and devs will get it figured out within a couple months.

Kratos

23. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Personally I'd get the Droid X unless you just HAVE to have a physical keyboard. I own a Droid but I have the face the fact that it's already pretty far behind the curb unfortunately o_O But I'm pushing it to it's limits so still kinda keeping up :)

24. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Unfortunately, that's they way it is with technology. The Droid X will be "Top of the Line" for 6-8 months, then be ousted by the next "Top of the Line" phone. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even less time. The Droid 2 is coming soon and I'm sure that will beat the Droid X senseless.

Kratos

25. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

Lucky for me I have 4 lines so roughly every 6 months I can get a new phone at subsidized price.