DROID vs Eris, upgrade to 2.1

Last Updated:

1. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So over the week I did some research on upgrading my DROID and my wife's Eris both to 2.1. I downloaded the files I needed and was planning on upgrading both phones.

For the DROID I ran into a problem, my computer won't recognize the RSDLite program that I guess I need to upgrade my DROID. So I am not sure how to do it. I have BB v0.9 downloaded, or is there a better 2.1 available to use without rooting?

For my wifes Eris it was so simple. Basically I downloaded the .zip file, mounted the phone and put the file on the sd card, then restarted the phone. I just followed the on screen steps, and bam, now my wife's Eris has 2.1.

Is there not a way that is that simple to update the DROID. I am kind of jealous because my wife has 2.1 on her Eris, and I have the better phone that is now running a lower software version. Anyone want to help me out?

Advertisement
  2. AllDroid

AllDroid Well-Known Member

I wish there was something as simple as that. I'm sure it is possible if someone put in the time to build it. Load and go.

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Without rooting and installing a custom recovery program (which you need to run Bugless Beast), you're pretty much relegated to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

4. Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze Well-Known Member

Since when is the eris rooted?

5. chrlswltrs

I did not root it. Here are the simple instructions to install the 2.1 OS:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/51383-upgrading-2-1-tutorial.html

Here is the 2.1 leak:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/55898-you-dont-need-root-new-leak.html#post468726

Like I said it was super easy, basically transfer a file to the SD card and restart the phone, follow on screen directions. I just wish it was that easy to upgrade the DROID. And yes, when I check the system info it really is 2.1 on the Eris and yes it does have turn by turn navigation in google maps. Not sure what the other differences are since it is my wife's phone, but I did not see live wallpapers on it.

6. meek_reese

meek_reese Well-Known Member

The eris has been rooted for about 2 weeks now. not much going on with custom roms from what i've seen though.

7. Funintegras

Funintegras Active Member

The Bugless Beast is a custom firmware so you would need to root your droid to install it. The reason the Eris took the the 2.1 is because its basically a firmware release from HTC or Verizon that was leaked out via verizon employee so no root was required.

someone correct me if im wrong.

8. Droid.eris

Droid.eris Well-Known Member

warranty voided

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I updated my son's Eris to 2.1, a little buggy but overall he's happy with it :)

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

[thread hijack] The only thing keeping my friend from upgrading his Eris to 2.1 is that he's not sure whether or not you get to keep Sense UI and the widgets. Do you? [/thread hijack]

But what do you mean "your computer won't recognize RSD Lite"? What doesn't work? You might try downloading Motorola's drivers and see if that fixes it.

11. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

You can always use DMUpdater for an easy way to root the Droid and then upgrade to a different ROM

12. DaddyJosh

DaddyJosh Member

I updated my Eris to 2.1...all the widgets are here plus Sense UI (Which you can disable on 2.1 if you so choose, but its there by default)

shadowdude777 likes this.
  13. chrlswltrs

As far as I know the only differences on the Eris after upgrading to 2.1 is the market, navigation now on maps, and my wife said it seems to be running smoother.

I downloaded the RSD Lite file to my computer and when I click on it I get an error message saying the file type .7z is not recognized. If I could just get passed this I am sure I could upgrade with no problems, any advice to get past this first step? I also have the Motorola drivers downloaded to my laptop, just need a little help getting started. I am running windows vista BTW

14. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

It's a 7-zip archive. Think of it like a .zip, but without the proprietary piece-of-crap part.

7-Zip

That program will allow you to open all sorts of archives including .7z

chrlswltrs likes this.
  15. chrlswltrs

Thank you, updating now, will let you know how it works

16. chrlswltrs

I am posting this from my non rooted Droid running 2.1, love the live wallpaper!! Thanks for the help!

17. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Really? :)

I'm not criticizing...I really am curious. Why not just Root? So many other options...

18. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Yeah, flashing through RSD scares the crap out of me. Much more likely to brick using that than rooting.

But to each his own :D

19. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Fabolous is right. You would need a corrupt recovery image and an unbootable ROM...at the same time. I've flashed too many ROMs to count and you almost have to try to F' up your phone to get to the point of needing RSD Lite...

Having said that, you jack something up while running RSD Lite...you're screwed...past the point of help...oops!