• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid vs. Hero

I ditched my iPhone because it was so freakin BIG. Hero has some size but it just doesn't feel as big as the Droid or iPhone.
Another iPhone to Hero convert. The Hero's size was definitely one of the things that appealed to me, as the iPhone seems more conducive to ladies purses. Have you noticed a big difference in lag with the Hero? I had 100+ apps on the iPhone and never noted significant lag.

Upvote 0
Another iPhone to Hero convert. The Hero's size was definitely one of the things that appealed to me, as the iPhone seems more conducive to ladies purses. Have you noticed a big difference in lag with the Hero? I had 100+ apps on the iPhone and never noted significant lag.

I never had more than 15 apps on my iPhone, no need. But yes I saw the same amount of lag in scrolling through email, contacts and webpages. Only difference is that I believe HTC will do their best to correct these problems.

Plus, and this is a big plus... the hero has Android and the iphone is plain as my grandmas woredrobe.

Upvote 0
Both are great phones. I was in the same boat as you, and I decided on the Droid; mainly because the people at the verizon store said they'd give me a discount on my bill to get it to match what I'd pay with sprint. That was the deal-maker for me.

Either way, once you make your decision don't look back and you'll be happy.

Upvote 0
I think that just the fact that on the long-run the Hero will be cheaper and still being a great phone would be the best choice, but if u go to verizon and match the price like they did with my boy El Blacksheep then the DROID would be the phone to pick just because it has 2.0 (which the hero will have hopefully soon)

P.S.
Hero owner

Upvote 0
Thanks to all the people who responded. I went with the hero and so far I love it. I posted this message from it. It's great. I had a problem syncing it with Windows 7 but I got that fixed. I hope I have this phone for along time to come.

Congrats! Don't look back and stay away from the negative posters, you'll be so happy!

Upvote 0
I am going to be moving to the U.S. in a month and I am trying to decide between the Droid and Hero. This thread hasn't done much to convince me that the Hero is the way to go...

Mostly I am concerned with this "lag" that everyone keeps mentioning. Despite what the people above said, I think that even 1-2 seconds of lag or a hiccup when scrolling is super annoying and hurts the user experience.

Will the hero's "lag" increase with Android 2.0? I always assume the next gen of an OS will require more processor speed. Based on all the Droid video reviews I have watched over the last few weeks it has the processor muscle to handle the multitasking and rarely gives you a hiccup or lag. Will the Hero have the muscle?

Upvote 0
Will the hero's "lag" increase with Android 2.0? I always assume the next gen of an OS will require more processor speed. Based on all the Droid video reviews I have watched over the last few weeks it has the processor muscle to handle the multitasking and rarely gives you a hiccup or lag. Will the Hero have the muscle?

As that is something that doesn't exist, I doubt there is anyone that can give a definitive answer.

But No, the Hero will never have the same processor that the Droid has.

You can change the Hero to be stock Android 1.5 instead of Sense UI and see how that runs. That is a better comparison.

But once you have Sense UI, you probably will not be happy with stock android.

Upvote 0
But once you have Sense UI, you probably will not be happy with stock android.
well put

I have both of these phones, here is my review.
1.)Seven home screens instead of three.
2.)Better designed widgets
3.)Brighter more vibrant screen
4.)Smaller form factor
5.)Better Battery Life
6.)Dedicated call/end call buttons
7.)Better Camera
8.)Multi Touch
9.)Eye Candy
10.)Brighter LED Indicator Light
11.)Standard USB Plugs
12.)Better Keyboard

Some people may claim the higher resolution makes the DROID way better, I can tell you that it doesn’t. Heres why:

The standard android widigets and the spacing between icons on the screen do not utilize the DROIDS extra real estate well.

Home Screen Maximum Icons
DROID: 16 Hero/Eris: 16

Contacts on screen when scrolling through list
DROID: 8 Hero/Eris: 8

Screen Usage
DROID home screen: 4 Icons, Weather, Clock & Calendar
Hero/Eris: home screen: 6 Icons, Weather, Clock & Calendar

Browser
You can only see 1 or 2 lines more on the DROID, the Hero/Eris hides all of the title bars etc, the DROID does not.

I have both of these phones right now and I can fit more information on the screens, and that is what is important…Information. If you hold your phone when you talk (no Bluetooth) The DROID will hurt after about a half hour, the corners dig into your hand and ear.

Yes, the DROID has a larger, higher res screen, but it does not use it well, because of this, its more of an annoyance. The Hero/Eris has much better eye candy going on with the better widgets and such.

The DROID seems to be a faster phone at first glance, and in some cases, it is faster (opening emails, its about a full second faster to display text content), but in most cases, it is seriously perception. I put the phones right next to each other and they were identical in speed. The DROID also has more free internal memory; this could be important to some, but I don’t have over 100 megs of apps on my phone anyhow.

I switched to Verizon from Sprint for the DROID, and the longer I used it, the less I liked it, and the more I wanted my Hero. So, now that I have my Hero back, I can tell you first hand, for the reasons above, the Hero/Eris > DROID.

Upvote 0
well put

4.)Smaller form factor
5.)Better Battery Life
7.)Better Camera
8.)Multi Touch
9.)Eye Candy
11.)Standard USB Plugs
12.)Better Keyboard

To each his own. The Hero is a great device, but for the sake of argument:

1. All of these can be had on the Droid in 5 minutes with a few downloads--ie pandahome, GDE, better wigits, better keyboard.
2. The camera is only "better" because of a bug in the 2.0 software. Droid camera has a flash (makes a bright flashlight as well) .
3. Smaller form factor= smaller screen and the Droid is actually slightly thinner.
4. Droid does use a standard mini USB plug.
5. Dolphin browser has multitouch as does PiCSay photo editor. Double tap is actually so easy and natural I don't really care though (I thought I would before getting the Droid).
6. I could not imagine needing a brighter screen. In fact, I usually turn it down.
7. Droid has twice the resolution for much better video play back and can capture very nice 720p video.
8. D-pad makes games much more fun to play than using on screen controlls.
9. Faster processor with with GPU is more future proof.
10. Physical keyboard if you like them (even if you don't it is good to use for faster editing and finding a single web link packed in with others.

The only thing the droid doesn't have is dedicated call and end buttons so if that realy is a gamebreaker for you don't get the droid.

Upvote 0
great review and I like the results :)

seriously though I wanted to point out something in point #3...it's the word "seemed" that sticks out. That is basically what I said coming from the Moment to the Hero, I think the Moment is faster, but there such slight differences I can't really say that the Moment is 10x faster, if anything it is .8x faster (obv estimation for conversation sake).

There is slight lag with Hero's email (3-4 seconds omg call the cell phone police) and also when scrolling through contacts (another 3-4 seconds I think I'm going to smash this phone on the wall omg omg my whole day is wasted).
Nice comment! real funny. People are taking the lag way to farr!

Upvote 0
well put

4.)Smaller form factor
5.)Better Battery Life
7.)Better Camera
8.)Multi Touch
9.)Eye Candy
11.)Standard USB Plugs
12.)Better Keyboard

Some people may claim the higher resolution makes the DROID way better, I can tell you that it doesn’t. Heres why:

The standard android widigets and the spacing between icons on the screen do not utilize the DROIDS extra real estate well.

Home Screen Maximum Icons
DROID: 16 Hero/Eris: 16

Contacts on screen when scrolling through list
DROID: 8 Hero/Eris: 8

Screen Usage
DROID home screen: 4 Icons, Weather, Clock & Calendar
Hero/Eris: home screen: 6 Icons, Weather, Clock & Calendar

Browser
You can only see 1 or 2 lines more on the DROID, the Hero/Eris hides all of the title bars etc, the DROID does not.

I have both of these phones right now and I can fit more information on the screens, and that is what is important…Information. If you hold your phone when you talk (no Bluetooth) The DROID will hurt after about a half hour, the corners dig into your hand and ear.

Yes, the DROID has a larger, higher res screen, but it does not use it well, because of this, its more of an annoyance. The Hero/Eris has much better eye candy going on with the better widgets and such.

The DROID seems to be a faster phone at first glance, and in some cases, it is faster (opening emails, its about a full second faster to display text content), but in most cases, it is seriously perception. I put the phones right next to each other and they were identical in speed. The DROID also has more free internal memory; this could be important to some, but I don’t have over 100 megs of apps on my phone anyhow.

I switched to Verizon from Sprint for the DROID, and the longer I used it, the less I liked it, and the more I wanted my Hero. So, now that I have my Hero back, I can tell you first hand, for the reasons above, the Hero/Eris > DROID.
Good detail. I knew the Droid wasnt all of that. I knew it was faster than the Hero, but people make it seem like the Hero is KLUNKER or something. Best phone I ever had buddy!

Upvote 0
To each his own. The Hero is a great device, but for the sake of argument:

1. All of these can be had on the Droid in 5 minutes with a few downloads--ie pandahome, GDE, better wigits, better keyboard.
2. The camera is only "better" because of a bug in the 2.0 software. Droid camera has a flash (makes a bright flashlight as well) .
3. Smaller form factor= smaller screen and the Droid is actually slightly thinner.
4. Droid does use a standard mini USB plug.
5. Dolphin browser has multitouch as does PiCSay photo editor. Double tap is actually so easy and natural I don't really care though (I thought I would before getting the Droid).
6. I could not imagine needing a brighter screen. In fact, I usually turn it down.
7. Droid has twice the resolution for much better video play back and can capture very nice 720p video.
8. D-pad makes games much more fun to play than using on screen controlls.
9. Faster processor with with GPU is more future proof.
10. Physical keyboard if you like them (even if you don't it is good to use for faster editing and finding a single web link packed in with others.

The only thing the droid doesn't have is dedicated call and end buttons so if that realy is a gamebreaker for you don't get the droid.
It is pretty silly to not have a dedicated CALL and END key. I guess that Motorola.

Upvote 0
i HATED the camera before the update! now i love it! it works extremely well now. very pleased with it. the onlt phone i have seen with a better camera is the instinct hd...and the only thing that makes it beeter is it has a flash...quality is the same now. heres a pic i took last night
get-attachmentaspx.jpg
nice weapon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones