Droid VS Inc - My Pros & Cons - Your Comments (Droid forum edition)

Last Updated:

1. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I already posted this in the HTC Droid Incredible forum but since you folks probably aren't constantly inspecting that forum, I'm posting it here to get the opposing insight as well:

NOTE: Please read my entire post before commenting!!!!

I'm in dire need of a smartphone and have been for ~ 6 months. I need help deciding btwn the Droid and the Incredible. Until recently I was sure I was getting the Incredible. Let me explain:

The reason I didn't jump on the Droid was b/c of the laggy performance (this is my opinion, so please don't flame). The Incredible has the speed I want. Why am I second guessing now? Well, my buddy just rooted his Droid with the Bugless Beast rom, and has it clocked up to 800mhz or 1ghz area. Apparently it's speed is in the neighborhood of the Incredible and it's getting battery life of at least a day with moderate usage.

This caused me to make the following list of pros and cons on each phone.

Here's my pros and cons list:
    Incredible Pros:
    > Blazing speed comes stock
    > 8MP camera
    > Excellent touchscreen sensor
    > No physical keyboard
    > Bright screen

Incredible Cons:
    > Battery life (some users have the issue others don't but even those who don't seem to be getting a max of abt 20 hrs)
    > Signal/Voice Issues (I'm not referring to the inaccurate bars icon, I'm talking about the actual signal issues that people have been reporting. Apparently the radio may be positioned oddly which may have something to do w/ it.)
    > Poor variety of cases, screen protectors and accessories available currently (I know it will get better but I want something to protect my phone now and don't want to have to buy again, unless it's to support a bigger battery)

**I also realize that a bigger battery is on the way for the Inc, but am also aware that it will be larger and require a different phone back. I want a GOOD case on my phone, so unless otterbox or an innocase, etc is going to be produced to fit the extended battery back, that is still an issue.

Droid Pros:
    > Battery life (not only does it seem better but I don't think there's nearly as much talk of "what can I disable to improve battery life)
    > Screen size SLIGHTLY bigger
    > Tons of accessories
    > Faster firmware updates b/c of stock Android
    > Extremely reliable radio

Droid Cons:
    > Need to root and clock up for it to be suitable for me
    > Hardware Keyboard
    > Touchscreen sensor isn't as accurate and responsive
    > Camera issues? (not sure if this is still a problem or not)

Ok, all this said, I'd like people to weigh in on the issue. Hit me with pros and cons that I'm missing and point out other things I may want to consider.

Please DO NOT flame me for my opinions or try to contest what I've said. I have done my homework for the most part, so unless I'm absolutely dead wrong on something or there has been a fix for something, please don't try to argue with my list.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Removed pros/cons concerning my original thoughts that the Incredible didn't have Gorilla Glass

Advertisement
  2. derek533

derek533 Well-Known Member

Gamegripper, multimedia dock and car dock.

Nuff said

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I'm a big Motorola fan...always have been so I'm probably a little biased. I've had the Razr, Q, Q9M, Droid. While the Razr and the Droid were the only "great" phones, all of the phones have been a phone first (even the Q was an excellent phone for voice communication).

That aside, the Droid is very solid (that is important to me). The phone works well, the screen is beautiful (even small text), and I personally enjoy the Droid's keyboard.

I know that you don't want the physical keyboard but consider this (you can't do this without the physical keyboard...just one more option available that the Incredible won't have):

YouTube - Droid Game Pad - Game Gripper Demonstration at Best Buy

kwest12 likes this.
  4. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i like droid for the keyboard, the battery life may or may not be what you think all droids seems to be different, i get 6-10 hrs other droid owners claim to get 24 or more, heard some say 48 but I can BS!

haven't used an incredible but I have heard bad things. they way out the good for me, everyone says Droid is still NUMBER 1.

5. SimonSays

SimonSays Active Member

Keep in mind the battery life for any brand new smartphone is lousy until you've used it for a week or so. Also, with the release of any new phone, anyone with any problem is going to kvetch about it online.

It sounds like you had your heart set on an incredible. If so, I wouldn't get scared off by a few complaints. The only reason to go with the droid would be form factor/keyboard (which you don't seem to be a fan of), the screen (yes, AMOLED is pretty, but try using it in the sun), and the fact that the droid is already rooted (if that's important to you).

Keep in mind that if you buy the phone through verizon you've got a 30 day grace period to change your mind. If you decide that the reception/battery aren't cutting it, you can always trade it in for a droid.

kwest12 likes this.
  6. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Here's what I think:

* gorilla glass means you don't have to consider a screen protector. I've owned my droid since launch day with no screen protector and it still looks brand new. In fact i saw a droid owner with a screen protector on his phone and it looked like crap.

* due to the heavy marketing, the droid is the most popular android device right now; which means more third party after market products and accessories than for other phones.

* docking station is nice, but seidio makes one too.

* extended batteries by seidio fit their custom innocases.

* sense ui is very nice, but so are many of the home screen replacements.

* I wouldn't be too concerned about the cameras: any cellphone camera without a lens will take mediocre pictures. Video looks great on both devices.

If I were in the market for a phone today I might take a real close look at the incredible but since I have a droid I have no desire to switch.

kwest12 likes this.
  7. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Do you mind showing why you think the droid is "sluggish" because this is the fastest phone I have ever seen and no I am NOT rooted. Also the touchscreen is Very accurate and my battery is ok but never even get to twenty hours which you say is bad for the incredible. I think the droid is that and a bucket of KFC so I say droid however being a total have to have the newest guy I would get the incredible if I had not experienced the amazingness that is the droid!

8. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

A lot of people who have compared them side by side say the Droid screen is better. The numbers on color accuracy, gamma etc also agree with this. At the very least it is brighter.

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

For me a big con of the Incredible is Senseui. I personally hate it. I had to setup my bosses new Incredible earlier this week and its nice. It needs root and a port of cyanogenmod. Then I will be really tempted to get it

10. kwest12

If you go to a vzw location and compare the snappiness and speed of the Droid to the Inc you will see what I mean. So far what I've been hearing is that rooting brings the Droid speed/snappiness close to the Incredible, but doesn't quite catch it. As for touchscreen accuracy, I have personally had my hands on both: the Droid missed far more touches than the Incredible. This seems to be a lot of users' experiences and also makes sense based on the upgraded touch screen sensor in the Incredible: your experience may be different though.

It seems to be a fairly well known fact that the AMOLED screens are brighter and more vibrant that LCD screens. That said, I myself have not done a side by side comparison of the screens, so while I assume this holds true, I can't be sure. The Droid does have 24bit color which is better than the Inc though, so that part makes sense.

11. chabber

chabber Member

I've had the Incredible for a week now and I'm most likely going back to my Droid. I just reactivated my Droid and will be rooting and overclocking it to see what the battery life and screen responsiveness will be like. I'll mostly likely switch back to Incredible at some point to give it another go before my 30 days are up but for right now here are my views.

Incredible:

+'s

Better Touch Screen.
    Noticeably faster response and less sluggish than stock Droid.
    Camera
    Sense UI (I don't use much from this but extra widgets aren't a bad thing)
    Slightly smaller and weighs less.

-'s

-Battery life is pathetic.
    -Signal strength number is usually lower on the Droid and I'll sometimes get 1x in places my Droid would still be in 3G.
    -Small text is sharper and colors are more accurate on the Droid.
    -Speaker is not bad but Droid's is better and louder.
    -Notification light doesn't flash continuously once you've recieved a notification. I think it cuts off after 5 minutes or so which I do not like.
    -Notification issues (I'm hoping this is because of some kind of user error but I don't always receive a notification ring tone when I get email. This has happened multiple times. As well I'll get some mail through my gmail app 30-40 minutes after sometimes. Doesn't happen often but I have seen it.
    -Not a huge deal but there are some small things in my contacts list that I like better on the Droid such as being able to see google talk user status and being able to choose which google groups show up in your contacts lists.

kwest12 likes this.
  12. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Droid screen is better, but mainly due to more actual "pixels" that the eye can see. The reason Inc's display is slightly grainy is due to the (already beaten to death) tech used. Actual resolution is about 30% less than Droid.

I have gotten used to the Inc, but as soon as I look at a Droid screen, I have to get used to the Inc screen again and ignore the grain. The grain is the missing pixel areas where Droid does display images. This is the reason Droid looks amazing with text.

Still torn, since I like the power without needing to root (for better clock and extra app space) and the microsd not being blocked by the battery (very lame) on the Inc. That said, I love the game emulators.....

Another thing that bugs me about the Inc display is red and orange colors do not look natural.

kwest12 likes this.
  13. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

I own both The Inc and the Droid and there are a couple of things I like better about the Droid, such as how solid it feels in my hand, the gorilla glass and the slightly better battery life. But when it comes to comparing the two it's not really that close, The Incs speed, the screen quality, SENSE UI, the memory, the ability to handle a lot of future Android updates and the size is perfect, it feels better in my hand than any phone I've owned.

kwest12 likes this.
  14. kwest12

In my original post, I noted the Gorilla Glass difference (lacking it on the Inc). After the fact, it was brought to my attention that HTC has confirmed that the Incredible DOES in fact use Gorilla Glass. I have changed my OP.

15. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I think...if you don't need a keyboard then get the Incredible. That phone is really nice. But as a VZW customer having a Droid, there really isn't a feature that the Incredible has that will make me jump to that phone. The only feature that I really like with the Incredible is the TV-out option. My Droid is so fast and sturdy that I don't even envy the Incredible.

The only phone that I would consider leaving my Droid for is Sprint's HTC EVO. Bigger screen, TV-out, and possibly a cheaper plan than VZW. If you live in Southern California where Sprint's coverage is comparable to VZW's, I would consider waiting til June and see if you like the HTC EVO. Now your options are much broader.

16. xmr405o

I can't wait to see the videos testing the Incredible's screen. Anyone found one, yet?

17. lowchef

lowchef Member

My coworker purchased the incredible today so i finally got a chance to see it in action and compare it to my droid....

The incredible is definately pretty sweet.....but after comparing our phones side by side using the same wireless internet at our job....the signal strength is definatley much lower on the incredible....My droid has 3to4 bars...his incredible only has 1 to 2 bars....

As far as battery goes....it definatley gobbles up some juice and thats just sitting idle...

when we switched to 3g and non router....my droid had higher download and upload speed.....go figure..

kwest12 likes this.
  18. xmr405o

I'm sure a firmware upgrade will come out soon for the Inc to fix the signal issues. My experience with HTC devices, I've noticed that signal strength is always an issue during the initial release.

kwest12 likes this.
  19. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

There used to be a lot of talk about what can i disable to improve battery life for the droid. A lot of people are having mixed reviews on battery life with Bugless Beast. A lot of people are having issues with it (myself included). So BB does not always improve battery life.

Also I really think that the Incredible is hands down better than the droid and the only reason i haven't switched over is because I am waiting for an LTE capable Android phone.

kwest12 likes this.
  20. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Big con with Inc is that it's a bit more fragile. People are killing those screens much faster than they are killing Moto screens. Big, BIG plus for Inc is that Seidio already offers a nice slim 1750ma/h battery. No tumorous backplates to get reasonable battery life. Still waiting on this for Droid. I will not use that fugly 2800ma/h monstrosity. Once you get root, I'm sure SetCPU profiles will help stock battery life. Swype has led me away from being so dependent on slider keyboard, but I still use it for passwords, because it offers superior accuracy. Hunt n peck on virtual keyboards gets me wanting to embed the phone in the nearest wall rather quickly.

Another nice plus (I think anyways) is the fully functional FM radio. I hate going to the gym and not being able to hear what's on the TV's. But then again, I use bluetooth headphones, so I'm not sure I could get reception without a corded set serving as an antenna. As far as speed, my overclocked Droid ran every bit as fast and smooth as the Incredible I played with.

I like Motos durability and heft a little better, and I'm still partial to a physical keyboard. That said, the improved battery is a nice bonus for the Inc, and the joys of root will fix most current Incredible complaints. My personal plan is to hang onto my Droid for a while longer and see what comes later, especially considering the LTE rollout. Likely wait for a LTE phone. Me up for a New Every 2 by then anyways.

kwest12 likes this.
  21. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

I have a friend who has the INC and he loves it. I do not personally see why someone would dump the droid for the INC out of contract.

Anyways, I read all of this about the screen size. FYI the INC has a bigger SCREEN.

It would be nice if we could increase the amount of RAM in the droid.

I do not see the INC having an edge with the screen quality. I have watched many tests and reviews about the AMLOLED screens compared to the DROID and the droid has been overall better. When you figure that most of the stuff you do with the browser is text based.

I read another review through YAHOO! that stated that the DROID will be able to handle many more ANDROID updates. Hopefully they will unlock the SC card and allow users to place apps on their and just use the onboard memory for the OS.

22. lowchef

lowchef Member

actually the droid has a slightly bigger screen.

23. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I've got both a Droid and an Inc on my plan so I've been trying to compare them since we got the Inc on day 1. I think most of the pros & cons have been addressed. It is my opinion that a rooted Droid is the best phone available right now. If rooting is not your thing, then go w/ the Inc. You can't really go wrong either way. These are great phones.