Droid vs Ipod touch vs archos 5

Last Updated:

1. cpak24

cpak24 New Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the droid, love it (using it as a wifi enabled media player with tons of apps), and can still return it penalty free, but am not impressed with the call quality. I am thinking about either getting the ipod touch, dropping the verizon service and using the droid, or getting the archos 5. I dont need GPS, phone, or the camera. I have a few questions.

1 - Is this a stupid idea? I can get a 64gb ipod touch for $399. The 16gb droid will be $375 after early termination penalty.

2 - How will it function without verizon? I will only be using data downloads where WIFI is enabled, everywhere else it will just be a stand alone media player.

3 - I would like to use skype over WIFI. The skype lite app for droid does not allow that. Does the ipod touch require you to use an accessory with a microphone?

4 - Battery power. I read on these forums that turning off the droid does not stop the battery from draining. If i turn the droid off and dont use it for a week, will it be dead?

5 - How about Archos?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Advertisement
  2. KGringo

KGringo New Member

I don't recomend buying the droid without verizon as majority of its strong points come from verizons expansive 3G...(yaya Wifi I know...still)

I can't recomend buying the ipodtouch...Its from apple. I despise apple but thats just my personal opinion...yours may differ. I know a few who own them; I give them crap for it as often as I can but they are usually more than pleased with it. The main benefit being they get nearly all smartphone features save for the 'phone" part but with no monthly fee's of course.(carefull though steve jobs has greedy tendencies...)

Droid battery life is what it is. I suggest you get a second battery if it bothers you too much. That should ease the anxiety you feel come 7:00pm at night after a full days use.

I returned the archos 5 after 1 days use... I found it unresponsive, unintuitive, and an absolute waste of $300 in plastic and pocket space.

I don't mean to slap down your gadget-gameplan but it doesn't seem to be cost/benefit effective to me.

I run with a droid, Zunehd and a sansa clip for gym. I'm enjoy them all, they have made my media/gadget life function quite fluidly.

3. Newton1221

Newton1221 Member

if you dont need gps, phone or camera then just buy an ipod touch, its gonna do a lot of stuff for you, however if your looking for strictly a media player i'd go with zune hd, but if you want an all around mobile computer without a phone, gps, or camera then go for an ipod touch

4. honeycomb3.0

honeycomb3.0 New Member

First, I got the Ipod touch 3g, and had it for a year. I liked it, mostly because i jailbroke it. Then I inherited a windows phone, the Omnia 1, and liked it because it had an fm radio on it. Then came the Droid Eris, which is great. It functions well without 3g through WiFi, and it even has a gps that you don't need wifi for. I was thinking of getting on archos 43, 70, or 101, but realized it was a waste of money. They are great, but if you have a non active Android phone, KEEP IT. I might inherit a Droid Incredible, which seems awesome.

Austin Dube 0_0