Droid went swimming

Last Updated:

1. barcodes

barcodes Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so my friend pushed me in the pool yesterday with my droid in my pocket. Needless to say I could kill him. I immediately got out of the pool and pulled the battery. I ran home and used a fan to blow off some of the water and put it in rice. I am doubtful that it will survive, but how long do you think I should leave it in the rice before I attempt to turn it on?

Taking psychokitty's advice and editing my post. No need to provoke a shitstorm on the boards.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

leave it in the rice for a full 48 hours.

as far as the insurance....i don't know how they could really prove it. you (or your friend) will be paying $89 for a new one.

3. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

You will get a range of responses to this question. I would say wait a couple days at least or up to a week if you are more paranoid.

It isn't a very ethical thing to do, but there is no way they will know that you added insurance after it got wet.

4. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Yes, of course it is. I'm sure you know this already.
    What sort of "other bull****"?
    What you are doing is insurance fraud. If you're asking if you will likely get away with it, then the answer is "yes", you likely will. You will have to pay the $89.00 for the replacement.

The question has been answered, and this thread should probably be closed before the inevitable shitstorm that you've invited hits as members of the Moral High Grounders Association bombard you with blame-bombs for making the cost of everything from their tooth paste to their health insurance too high.
    ("It's people like you that wreck everything for the rest of us do-gooders blah blah blah...")

5. barcodes

I've removed that part of my post psychokitty, if you could remove your quote to avoid the inevitable shitstorm you speak I would be greatly appreciative. There's no need to start that on the boards.

I don't understand why they allow you 30 days to add insurance though because things like this will inevitably happen and people will take advantage of the system. Anyway, regardless, thanks for the advice on the rice.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Aww dude why'd you tell him he'll probably get away with it? Man, it's people like you... hehehe :D

7. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

that sucks dood

8. barcodes

Instead of trying to add insurance and filing a claim I decided to just buy a certified pre-owned droid. So all you moral high roaders out there will be happy to know that it's not people like me.

mema2.1 likes this.
  9. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Why not add insurance? If you're allowed to, then do so. It's not fraud if you're within that time period of allowance. They obviously expect users to do so if they give you that 30 day window. Trust me, the carrier isn't losing anything. When you pay $30/month for data for two years, they're making a nice little profit. I'm glad that you got it sorted out anyways.

10. barcodes

that was my thought, but after running some numbers I would end up paying the same amount either way I went and either way I would likely get a refurbished on. The insurance is $8/mo + $89 deductible = about the same cost as a CPO droid. And the verizon rep told me that you can't file a claim until 30 days after you activate the insurance if you don't add it right when you get the phone or something like that. I can't live without my droid for 30 days. :eek:

mema2.1 likes this.
  11. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Gotcha! Well, welcome back to the connected world!

12. barcodes

Thanks! :D And thanks for everyone's help and advice. I've been hanging around the forum for about 6 months now, I've just never posted. But this community is really great.