Droid WiFi WeirdnessSupport

Last Updated:

1. sberfield

sberfield New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Droid that I need to use on WiFi (free phone, I'm not on Verizon - long story) and it works great on non-secured networks like at Starbucks or Tullys, and it works on SOME secured networks that use WEP. But I cannot get it to work at home.

It sees the network and gets an IP address, but it cannot get any data -- it seems like it is failing the DNS lookups somehow though there are no really useful error messages.

This happens on both my home wireless networks, one with WEP and one with WPA security. If I turn off security, it works, but not woth security on - which is not going to work for me.

The router is a LinkSys WRT300N (running WPA) and my other access point is a WAP54G (running WEP).

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. krenoline

krenoline Member

I had to change my security level on my MAC in order to get WIFI at home. Despite trying to change it, the phone would see the network as being wpa protected even when I changed it to WEP. WEIRD! Once I switched back to WPA, it worked OK. Luckily my other network devices recognized and were compatible with WPA.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I've boldfaced and colorized the two routers above.

DROID cannot connect to Wireless N, only G. So the WRT300N is out, unless it is serving N and G....

Try making the 54G WPA and see if that helps. Also, double check that you don't have MAC Address filtering enabled on the router (meaning that you're only allowing certain MAC addresses to get P addresses and connect). If you are, either 1) Allow the DROID's MAC Address, or 2) turn that off if you are not actually using it.

Another thing would be to log into the router's config page and see if there is a page that shows you active connections - and if so, then see if you see the DROID on there at any time that the DROID is trying to connect.

Finally, are you sure you have a DROID as opposed to a Milestone? (Sorry for asking, I just have to be sure).

4. el3ment

el3ment Member

First off, Why in the heck do we have to broadcast our SSID's from our router? Or do you know of a way to manually connect from the droid with a non broadcasted SSID?

My Symptoms -> Hit or miss connectivity. Wanted to stream pandora from my router, not 3g for some guests... But to no avail.. Tried rebooting.. Didn't work.. Worked 3 days prior however..

I"m running Mixed mode B/G/N. Since the above poster says it's only g compatible, this should suffice..

I'm securing the wireless network with WPA2 AES.

5. johnlgalt

Actually, you *can* connect to a non-broadcast SSID - if you go to Settings --> Wi-Fi Settings --> Add Wi-Fi Network you get a popup dialog box that asks you to enter the SSID and security type, And if you select anything other than none then the box expands to put a password field underneath it.

Of course, (and I am saying this for future readers out there that may not know this, but I am sure you do) you have to already know the SSID in order to connect to it....

6. el3ment

el3ment Member

Ah ha! That was an epic fail by me. I didn't scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the bottom that says "Add Wi-Fi" Network..

7. el3ment

el3ment Member

Hmm.. I disabled ssid broadcast on my router. Then added the network manually. However, it says the network is not in range an my only options are to either forget the credentials or cancel. Any ideas?

8. johnlgalt

Hmm - I can try to see if it works on my end - I have dual routers one G and one N - so my laptop and DROID don't have to share an Access point b/c the lappy likes N....

Give me a few minutes to do it and I'll be back.

9. el3ment

el3ment Member

Yeah, i have two routers too actually. I've got my verizon fios router they gave me, and then I bridged it with my linksys wrt300n. I think i'm just going to have to turn back on the wireless on my FiOS router and Broadcast my SSiD because it still can' manually connect after added the network..

And then for the linsys router, i'll use N only on a different channel and disable broadcast ssid. I'll let you know how this configuration works.