Droid won't connect to Win7 64bit via USBSupport

Last Updated:

1. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just installed Win 7 Enterprise 64bit on my computer at home. I had Win 7 RC before that.

Last night, I could not get my phone to charge/sync at all. I'd plug it in; it'd pop up saying "installing drivers; it would say drivers failed to install. So I uninstalled through Device Manager and tried a couple times-- nothing.

I started looking online and found Moto drivers (4.2.0 and 4.2.2) where a few people had similar issues. Those didn't help at all either.

It worked fine on the RC OS (which was 64bit) and it works fine at work (same OS as home, just 32bit).

Any suggestions? I wonder if I could find the drivers at work and carry them home?

Advertisement
  2. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

You don't need to install any extra drivers, and I'd suggest un-installing any ones that have already installed. My first guess is that there are permission issues. I'd disable UAC(?) and try plugging it in. I'm running Win 7 x64 Home Premium without any issues.

3. jackburnt

UAC never popped up when I plugged it in. And it shouldn't be a factor in something like that. Though, I'll try it.

Any other suggestions?

4. IamReady

IamReady Well-Known Member

Are you getting the USB Connected message on the DROID?

I am running Win7 Ultimate 64Bit with no issues...

5. jackburnt

Nope. It doesn't even charge. I plug it in, Win7 says it's installing driver, Win7 says it failed to install driver.

But I can't find a driver to work.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Enterprise - hmmm, perhaps there is some sort of software on the Enterprise version that is blocking it for whatever reason, as a security measure.

I, too, can confirm that it works perfectly well on Windows 7 Ultimate both 32bit and 64bit, without a single hitch.

The only thing different here is you're on Enterprise....

Unless, and I hate to suggest it, but are you running a pirated version of Win7?

7. bismark

bismark Member

I am running windows 7. When i connect my phone to the PC, in Devices and Printers (control panel) i can see my phone. Can you see yours?
    Also there is troubleshoot request that errors me that there is no driver installed. Maybe there is no need for driver.

8. johnlgalt

Umm, I only see it in Devices and Printers when I am connected via bluetooth, not when using the USB cable - and my connection works every time I mount the SDCard.

9. bismark

bismark Member

How do you mean "and my connection works every time I mount the SDCard". Does that mean that you were trying to connect to the pc with your sd card removed from your phone?

10. johnlgalt

When you connect your DROID to the computer, to grant access to the SDCard from the computer you have to mount the SDCard - From the notification bar, select USB Connected and you'll get a popup asking you if you want to mount the card - when you say yes, the card becomes unavailable to the phone, and the computer can then see it (and manipulate files on it - copy, move, delete, etc.), treating it as if it is just another drive.

11. jackburnt

It's a legit copy as I got it through work. And that's the thing: I'm using the 32bit of the same OS (Win7 Enterprise) at work. It just doesn't work at home. The only difference aside from the 32bit/64bit is I'm on my work's network here, but not at home.

I'll add myself to the work domain when I get home. I don't see how that could possibly affect it, but I'm at wit's end right now.

12. jackburnt

Thanks for the suggestions, but not quite the issue I'm facing. The problem I'm having is Win7 will not even install the drivers for the Droid. So the Droid won't charge or even know it's connected.

13. johnlgalt

What happens when you try to install the drivers?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. jackburnt

15. johnlgalt

No error message at all?

Who is your motherboard and / or PC manufacturer? I suspect custom drives might be playing havoc on your system...

16. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I have a Dell 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I was having no success in connecting my Droid to my computer. I would mount the SD card and it would immediately UNmount. I turned on USB debugging. I went into device mananger and uninstalled the usb mass storage device. I unplugged the Droid and plugged it back in again. It installed the device, I was able to mount the sd card and transfer files.

I don't know if that will help anyone else but it worked for me. The usb debugging is off by default.

17. johnlgalt

Probably b/c that USB Mass Storage device driver was placed there when something else was installed on your Dell - and is at best a faulty driver.

18. jackburnt

Well, I guess the issue was with the Droid. I went from BB 7.6 to BB .5 today at work. When I got home, I plugged it in and had no troubles connecting/mounting.

So... I have no idea what happened. But when I changed roms, it magically worked.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Perhaps updating roms will help others in the same situation.

19. johnlgalt

not surprising that it was the ROM itself.

20. jackburnt

Well, I spoke too soon. I plugged it up just now before going to bed and it doesn't connect.

I'll play with it tomorrow. Quite the chin scratcher.

21. johnlgalt

Sounds like it might be hardware related - as in your machine itself....

22. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

There's two issues i can think of...

1. Turn off the requirement for signed drivers in Win 7.

2. There's two sets of USB drivers on the Droid motorola site. There's one driver at the top of the page, and two drivers near the bottom. I used the one at the top. Hope this makes sense. The bottom drivers looked like they were for older phones or something, so I just installed the top one and it has worked fine.

These are just guesses!!

23. johnlgalt

No need for that - I run Windows 64bit on my laptop and my desktop and both connect just fine.

24. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

I just reformatted my computer, now I'm having the same issues. I'm a computer guy, so I understand most problems and can fix them. I'm scratching my head on this one. It doesn't even make the phone it's connected, no mount options or anything. I'm running droidmod 1.0. I've installed the drivers, uninstalled them, rebooted many times, no luck, still trying different things.

25. jackburnt

Wow, Branndon. That's weird. I'm having the same trouble (obviously from post) and my name is Brandon.

Perhaps Droid hates Brandons!

Branndon likes this.