• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid won't power on

steve500

Dec 29, 2009
I have a droid here I bought from a friend, he said his dad found it in his office at work or something, I gave him $80 for the phone. It's in GREAT looking condition, basically brand new, he said he didn't have a charger for it so he doesnt know if it works. Anyhoo, I plugged in the micro-usb cable to my computer and plugged it into the droid...

The sceen lit up (like the backlight turned on, but still a black screen) for maybe 8 seconds but didn't show a logo, then it shut off, and then the light next to the charger plug is glowing white. Tried turning it on again with the pwr button, did the same thing. I cannot get it to turn on.

i tried the X+Power but it still just turns on to a black screen.

Motorola's website says its warranty is good till june 2011, should I just have them repair it? Or can I take it to verizon and get a refurb replacement ?... PRobably not because i'm not a verizon customer, I'm on alltel with my Droid Eris right now, I was planning on provisioning this phone to alltel.

Hmm, suggestions before I mail it off?

Do you have a wall charger? In my experiences, when the phone has completely died plugging it into the computer didn't charge it. I had to have it plugged into a wall outlet and then I had to leave it there for a long time (like 8 hours or more). Try that, and, like the above post states, pull the battery a few times and see if you have any luck.

Upvote 0
A micro USB cable is not always good enough for the Droid. You need the cable made by motorola for it to get a good charge. Once it has a bit of a battery, it will be more forgiving.
My Droid is so picky that it wouldn't let me run it from a USB adapter on my computer to the cable. It had to be plugged directly into the USB port on my computer or into the power outlet. It is very picky sometimes.

Verizon is not going to help you with that phone for free. You would have to buy insurance on it when they activate it for you for them to even consider it. Motorola is not going to help you for free unless you can provide the purchase info.

Get a Motorola cable for it and see if you can revive it. Otherwise, see if someone will fix it for you for less than what a Droid goes for on EBay minus the $80 you paid for it. You had better hope that it was never reported stolen or you will never be able to activate that ESN again. :(

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies.

Well, I've got it plugged into a wall adapter now.

It's a palm pre USB outlet charger/adapter, palm pre has the micro-usb cable. The palm pre charger is rated at 1.0Amp, the phone still doesnt seem to be happy with it but the charger light is on, seems like the phone keeps ATTEMPTING to boot up, each time it does that the charger light turns off for a sec then it comes back on again, I know its COMPLETELY dead though, it won't do anything when I hold the power button down without the usb cable plugged in. I'll leave it plugged into the palm pre charger for a while and see what happens. I dont know any buddies with the droid, everyone I know has HTC's like myself.

Guy I got it from says its been sitting dead for over a month.

Next time I'm out I suppose I shall grab a motorola charger/cable.

Checked with verizon, they said the ESN is clear and that it is under warranty... motorola says all they want is the phone in the box sent fedex/ups and they'll take care of it. I'll see what happens though and leave er' plugged in.

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies.
Guy I got it from says its been sitting dead for over a month.

Next time I'm out I suppose I shall grab a motorola charger/cable.

Checked with verizon, they said the ESN is clear and that it is under warranty... motorola says all they want is the phone in the box sent fedex/ups and they'll take care of it. I'll see what happens though and leave er' plugged in.

Since you are not the original owner....how can you claim the warranty on it? Mine's been randomly shutting down, it's under warranty until March 2011....but I bought it from another person. But if I go to verizon won't they say they can't do anything since i didn't buy it from them?

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I've actually had the opposite experience with charging when it's totally dead. I left it plugged into the computer for a while and then once it was able to boot into android plugged it back into the wall.

I too had the issue where plugging it into the wall meant it kept trying to turn itself on and thus killed any charge it had gained from being plugged in. When it was plugged into USB - in my experience - it would still charge (white light turned on) without the phone actually turning on.

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I've actually had the opposite experience with charging when it's totally dead. I left it plugged into the computer for a while and then once it was able to boot into android plugged it back into the wall.

I too had the issue where plugging it into the wall meant it kept trying to turn itself on and thus killed any charge it had gained from being plugged in. When it was plugged into USB - in my experience - it would still charge (white light turned on) without the phone actually turning on.

Okay, so when you plugged it into the computer, how long was it until it was able to boot to android?

I have left it plugged into the computer for over 2 hours ish just experimenting and seems to chaRge with a solid while charge light and it doesnt attempt to boot by it self. It still will not try to turn on though.

If i plug it into the wall charger it tries to turn on but it turns on to a blank screen every time it tries to boot up.

Upvote 0
It took a few hours. It really depends how dead the battery is. When a Lithium ion cell gets very low on charge it has to be trickle charged very slowly to avoid damaging the cell.

If you just simply can't get it to turn on, I would try either finding a friend with a Droid to borrow their battery to see if the phone will turn on, or go into Verizon and see if you can do the same thing with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones