• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X 2.2 Overclock (Kernel Module w/Instructions)

FreeWELL

Aug 9, 2010
Milestone Overclock as of version 1.4.3 now officially supports Droid X/2 running 2.2/Froyo. Go download it for FREE from the Market. Here is a a post from Tiago from the DroidXForums thread.
Hi all, I'm the Milestone Overclock guy. I'd like to let you know that the latest version of Milestone Overclock supports Droid X 2.2 and is now in the Market. It is based on the fix by nadlabak/kabaldan but done "correctly" now that we have the kernel source.

Note also that this fix should correct the vsel problem that many had in android 2.1. The previous module/app simply wasn't setting vsel at all, as many of you suspected. Let's hope this version takes care of it, for anyone that didn't upgrade to 2.2.

For those of you not familiar with Milestone Overclock, it's the original overclock app for the Motorola Milestone (which has a locked firmware just like the Droid X) but nowadays strives to support all OMAP3 phones, and that includes Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 (working on it), many XT7xx/XT8xx and even a Samsung (Galaxy Beam; others are Hummingbird, not OMAP). And yes, it's free!

If you're interested, you can check out the issue which led to this release in the project site:
Issue 36 - milestone-overclock - Modify Source to Support Droid X. - Project Hosting on Google Code
(many thanks to tekahuna)

Thanks
Tiago Sousa aka mirage

Side Note:
The Milestone Overclock kernel module is at the core of all other Droid X/2 overclocking "apps". I'd prefer to call them "Alternate User Interfaces" or "Skins" to the Milestone Overclock kernel module. If you appreciate the ability to overclock your Droid X/2, please Donate to Tiago!

Instructions:
Download Milestone Overclock from the Market, and give it a whirl.

The app is geared towards providing the basics, in a safe manner. It has brick protection, where if you happen to input a custom setting that is out of spec, and causes you to bootloop, you can pull your sdcard and get into your phone to clear the settings...

Full control of freq/vsel still requires a setscaling.sh script(that's how the cool folks like to do it anyways). Pull that from the original zip file. I'll update that when I get a chance.

Original Post:
Milestone Overclock Module 1.2t (nadlabak's patch) w/ Memory Locations for DroidX 2.2 Added by FreeWELL

Credits:
Tiago Sousa aka Mirage: for The Milestone Overclock Project
nadlabak: for patching in Froyo/2.2 Support
FreeWELL: for finding DroidX 2.2 memory locations/module compilation

Notes:

I'm trying to keep this as close as possible to the way it was done on 2.1. For me, 2.2 seems to need a little more voltage to be stable than it was under 2.1. I've included two versions of setscaling.sh to start from.

setscaling.sh is set to stock voltages/clock speed

setscaling100.sh is set to stock voltages w/100mhz bump accross the board to 400/700/900/1100 (This appears to be stable for me, and is the baseline for my testing/tuning)

Install Instructions

adb/terminal:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/extracted/droidx_22_oc (or wherever you extracted the files to)
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system
# cp overclock.ko /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# cp setscaling.sh /system/xbin/setscaling.sh
# chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/setscaling.sh

<optional(only do after thoroughly testing what works for your DroidX in setscaling.sh)>
# cp install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
# chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
</optional>

# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system

Run Instructions

adb/terminal:

$ su
# insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# setscaling.sh

Attachments

• droidx_22_oc.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,756
Very interesting.

Once this is changed it stays that way every boot up right? Do I have to make a backup of anything first? If I mess something up with SBF fix me up?

Thanks.

It will not start up every time, unless you install the optional install-recovery.sh file. Do not do this until you have thoroughly tested out what setting will work for you in the setscaling.sh file.

If you never overclocked under 2.1, reading the following threads should help get you up to speed.

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/145209-how-overclock-your-droid-x.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/146969-how-overclock-survives-reboot.html

Upvote 0
I'm stuck at 1.15GHz. If your phone gets all slow after you raise the speed, it goes into a "turtle mode", rather cooldown mode and becomes completely unresponsive.

A battery pull will fix this (as long as you did NOT do the install-recovery.sh script)

Beesley, you need to edit the setscaling.sh file to change the slots and voltages they will use. Then, insmod the overclock module and run the setscaling.sh script to change your slots. Then, use SetCPU to change the frequency.

Upvote 0
Beesley, you need to edit the setscaling.sh file to change the slots and voltages they will use. Then, insmod the overclock module and run the setscaling.sh script to change your slots. Then, use SetCPU to change the frequency.

Yes thank you very much.. Just realized I was using the wrong setscaling!

Upvote 0
In setscaling.sh which numbers are the voltage values and are they the stock values?

I would like to stay at stock speeds but lower the voltage a bit. What all values would I have to change to make this work?

Have you tried this, and if so what have you found to be stable values?

I have not really tried undervolting yet. But if that's what you want, you need to edit setscaling.sh to look something like this...

Code:
echo 51 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1000000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 300000000 22 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 600000000 33 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 800000000 45 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1000000000 51 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1000000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 800000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 2 600000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

This is -5 across to board from stock for the voltage. I have not tested this. It's just an example of how undervolting could be achieved. You'll need to test to find out what actually works for your particular Droid X.

Reactions: scarsonator
Upvote 0
I have not really tried undervolting yet. But if that's what you want, you need to edit setscaling.sh to look something like this...

Code:
echo 51 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1 300000000 22 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 600000000 33 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 800000000 45 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1000000000 51 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1000000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 800000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
This is -5 across to board from stock for the voltage. I have not tested this. It's just an example of how undervolting could be achieved. You'll need to test to find out what actually works for your particular Droid X.

I'll try it out.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am finding these settings to work very well for me, though not all Droid X's are created equal. I actually think mine is kind of a dud :(

Code:
echo 50 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1100000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 400000000 28 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 600000000 32 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 900000000 44 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1100000000 50 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1100000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 900000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 400000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Upvote 0
Here is my setscaling.sh contents. This is the same that I used in 2.1 OC and its been 10 minutes running setcpu stress test and all seems ok. In 2.1 I was actually able to drop the voltages to like 20,30, 35, and 42. However I am not sure this will work not however i will give it a shot.

Code:
echo 56 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1 400000000 25 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 700000000 35 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 900000000 45 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 700000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Upvote 0
alright so after the install how do we set the overclock?
i never messed with the setscaling and just wanna try some different OC speeds
i remember the overclock.sh ####### ## thing but that didn't work

so how do i do it now?!

After the OC install just do this.

$ su
# insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# setscaling.sh

If you are using the downloaded setscaling with no changes however it will just be stock. You will have to manually change the settings like in my previous post. I recommend using notepad++ in Windows to change params.

Upvote 0
Here is my setscaling.sh contents. This is the same that I used in 2.1 OC and its been 10 minutes running setcpu stress test and all seems ok. In 2.1 I was actually able to drop the voltages to like 20,30, 35, and 42. However I am not sure this will work not however i will give it a shot.

Code:
echo 56 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1 400000000 25 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 700000000 35 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 900000000 45 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 700000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Typo line 2... should be:
echo 1100000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate

:)

Reactions: Phantom_DroidX
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones