• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X 2.2 Overclock (Kernel Module w/Instructions)

Hey what's up Airmaxx. Tell me a bit more about what's happening there. Make sure you read everything at the bottom of the screen in the app. There's a lot of information there, including an explanation of what I mean by BMP.

So what happens when you try setting 1330 / 65? If 66 is your BMP Frequency at 1330 Mhz, then that means 65 should crash immediately upon setting it. If that's the case, then yeah... 75 vsel at 1330 is what it would really take for full, rock-solid stability on your phone. On mine, my BMP is 300 Mhz / 15 vsel, and if I want to be completely stable at 1400 Mhz, I need 75 vsel. Now that being said, I CAN run 1400 Mhz with 68 vsel. I can even run the stress test in SetCPU for an HOUR with that setting. But it'll still crash on occasion. If you want to sac some stability, you can reduce the stability buffer. I made the default 13 though, because that's what it takes to get true stability while also minimizing battery consumption.

At the end of the day, I run these settings usually:

300 / 17
600 / 32
800 / 41
1200 / 63

The model used to calculate things in the app was composed after many, many hours of testing, so I stand behind the numbers. The reason I decided to put it together was because there is such variance in what people end up finding to be the best settings for them. The apps that are out there though, God bless 'em, they don't really take this into account except by having profiles, which I think only gets most of the way there. If you want to figure out the absolute best settings for YOUR phone, it either takes hours and hours of testing ... or an app based on the hours and hours of testing someone else did. :p

Anyway, cheers and thank you to you, Airmaxx, for trying out my app. And the same to anyone else who does so. It's my first app, and I'm very excited about it. I've got more in the works, and I look forward to talking more with everyone about all things Android.

Peace & Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I was entering the lowest stable value rather than the value that crashes the phone. Using your app I was able to lower the voltages by quite a bit and it has been stable since last night (about 18hrs). I should see a little bit better battery life which is always a plus.

My old scaling was:

350 - 33
650 - 48
1000 - 58
1300 - 66

My current settings are:

380 - 17
650 - 31
1000 - 47
1300 - 65

Edit: I mistakenly put down the values I had saved in another preset, I've corrected my current settings.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, I was entering the lowest stable value rather than the value that crashes the phone. Using your app I was able to lower the voltages by quite a bit and it has been stable since last night (about 18hrs). I should see a little bit better battery life which is always a plus.

My old scaling was:

350 - 33
650 - 48
1000 - 58
1300 - 66

My current settings are:

380 - 23
650 - 40
1000 - 50
1300 - 64

w000t!!!! Awesome news! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear :D

That's a wonderful reduction in vsel! One note though: the vsel you put in should generally be the one that crashes the phone +1. So in my case, I put in 15 vsel at 300 Mhz because the phone crashes instantly at 14 but not at 15.

Absolutely love to hear about battery life improvement :)

Upvote 0
w000t!!!! Awesome news! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear :D

That's a wonderful reduction in vsel! One note though: the vsel you put in should generally be the one that crashes the phone +1. So in my case, I put in 15 vsel at 300 Mhz because the phone crashes instantly at 14 but not at 15.

Absolutely love to hear about battery life improvement :)

I had to edit my previous post, I some how put down the values I had saved in another preset, I'm actually using the following values:

380 - 17
650 - 31
1000 - 47
1300 - 65

Upvote 0
I just wanted to post and update, since using pandapaul's QuickClock app I've been one a single charge for 30 hours now and I still have 30% of battery life left with a stock battery. This is with normal use (games, browsing, phone calls, texting, music). I have not had a single reboot, definitely try the app if you get the chance.

That's phenomenally wonderful to hear. I wanted to check in and see how it was going, but I couldn't ask for better news than that.

Today I released a much more powerful QuickClock Advanced on the market. It costs a dollar, but I really think people are getting their money's worth. It requires root now, because it can set the CPU frequencies and voltages itself. The awesome thing, though, is that it has a bare minimum VSEL finder, which automatically determines the OC parameters. I haven't included an overclock module, though, because I don't really want to distribute someone else's work. Tiago gave me the go-ahead to do it, but for now I'm just advising people to get his app and load the module that way. Should give people a better idea of who did what work.

So all you have to do now is...
1)Load up an overclock module
2)Set the parameters (automatically if you like)
3)Pick your frequencies and hit "Calculate and Set to CPU"

I'm going to work on adding in functionality for setting OC on boot, and if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, I'll add in what people want. I also want to add some measure of battery usage statistics and maybe a stress test. Though the stress test shouldn't be necessary since we already know the settings are stable.... and no stress test I've ever tried has every fully proven stability.

Anyway, !w00t! for overclocking !w00t! for low voltages and !w00t! for automation!

Upvote 0
has anybody had any issues with the newest update of the program. i am running the apex 1.3 rom and i guess the newest update of milestone o/c wont run on it. so i ended up having to uninstall the app and restore an older version for it to work. strange thing though, when i restored the older version of the app, it shows i have newer o/c module version (used to be 1.4.3, now its 1.4.4)

Edit- I unloaded the module and reloaded it and it went back to 1.4.3. I also tried a fresh install of the new version and I still get the failed to load module message. At least the older version still works.

Upvote 0
Code:
Install Instructions

adb/terminal:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/extracted/droidx_22_oc (or wherever you extracted the files to)
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system
# cp overclock.ko /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# cp setscaling.sh /system/xbin/setscaling.sh
# chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/setscaling.sh

<optional(only do after thoroughly testing what works for your DroidX in setscaling.sh)>
# cp install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
# chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
</optional>

# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system

Run Instructions

adb/terminal:

$ su
# insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# setscaling.sh

I followed these instructions exactly, but when I tried
Code:
su
overclock.sh 1100000 66

...my phone freezes for a few seconds and then reboots. Wat do? :(

Upvote 0
Hello, trying to apply the setscaling script.
On the 4th, 5th and 6th lines I get a read only error, and on the last a "file not found"
thanks

Did you extract the attached zip files to extracted/droidx_22_oc on your sd card? You may have to create those folders manually.

If you're looking o overclock your X just use QuickClock or DROID X Overclock

+1... MUCH EASIER. :D

Reactions: dorianteal
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I think I just kept typing things wrong. I'll probably get one of those apps soon. Another question: Is it bad for the long term life of the phone to have my minimum MHz at 500 or 600 if I keep the temps down and max at 1.1 GHz? I'm not looking to run any crazy programs, I just want my windows to scroll and slide smoothly.

Could I set the second lowest frequency at 500, and use that for minimum with screen on, and use 300 with screen off?

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I think I just kept typing things wrong. I'll probably get one of those apps soon. Another question: Is it bad for the long term life of the phone to have my minimum MHz at 500 or 600 if I keep the temps down and max at 1.1 GHz? I'm not looking to run any crazy programs, I just want my windows to scroll and slide smoothly.

Could I set the second lowest frequency at 500, and use that for minimum with screen on, and use 300 with screen off?

forget that...install one of the "Big Three" launchers....LauncherPro, Go Launcher, or ADW...your windows will scroll smooth without having to DESTROY your battery by setting your minimum clock speed so high...

Upvote 0
Thanks, go launcher is awesome!

yeah...put that minimum speed back to normal and just stick with one of the launchers i mentioned...you will be fine...

if i remember right (i run LauncherPro) there is also some more speed tweaks that you can set in the Go Launcher settings to further increase the speed at which the screens transition...

ALSO...you can download an app called "spare parts." It will allow you to make the transitions between windows (like in the settings menu) as well as the popup menus (like when you long press on your home screen)...

Upvote 0
Milestone Overclock as of version 1.4.3 now officially supports Droid X/2 running 2.2/Froyo. Go download it for FREE from the Market. Here is a a post from Tiago from the DroidXForums thread.

Side Note:
The Milestone Overclock kernel module is at the core of all other Droid X/2 overclocking "apps". I'd prefer to call them "Alternate User Interfaces" or "Skins" to the Milestone Overclock kernel module. If you appreciate the ability to overclock your Droid X/2, please Donate to Tiago!

Instructions:
Download Milestone Overclock from the Market, and give it a whirl.

The app is geared towards providing the basics, in a safe manner. It has brick protection, where if you happen to input a custom setting that is out of spec, and causes you to bootloop, you can pull your sdcard and get into your phone to clear the settings...

Full control of freq/vsel still requires a setscaling.sh script(that's how the cool folks like to do it anyways). Pull that from the original zip file. I'll update that when I get a chance.

Original Post:

Why is the MilestoneX not supported? It's just the DroidX unbranded?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones