• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X 2.2 Overclock (Kernel Module w/Instructions)

Thats a pretty big jump on the vsel, sounds like it will drain your battery pretty quick if you use your phone a lot.

Edit: Gonna giver her a whirl, I have the extendo so I'm not too worried. Just be nice if we could find something super stable, so far I haven't even came close.

Edit: -- Nevermind no dice going to try more at 1.1 @62 everything else the same seems good for tonight. (boo)

Its actually not a big jump at all. If you check back to when we had OC on 2.1, I believe stock was 68 Or close to it. Check the thread :)

Upvote 0
Yes, its surprising what a few hundred Mhz will do. CPU intensive apps are running much faster. Like Titanium Backup for example, it flies through backing up/restoring batch apps.

I <3 OC and the people who say its not needed must not know how to do it :)

I'm kidding of course, but I just dont understand why some ppl are so against overclocking. Its always made computers in general faster and perform better.

Fixed it for you. :D Sorry, had to. I always try to overclock any computer I have at least slightly except for my laptop. its about getting that extra amount out of it. Like tuning a car.

I'm running @ 1.2Ghz with 68 vsel. didnt change anything else.

Curious, any major detriment to battery life. This is my only holdup not that I can't burn some, but I don't want to OC and then end up with a 7 hour phone.

Upvote 0
Currently running stable at a max of 1.4 Ghz with 68 vsel.

Details:

1400 / 68
1000 / 49
700 / 34
300 / 25

Still testing each voltage for stability through long SetCPU stress tests, but is looks as though my results are quite good. For whatever it's worth, I'm scoring quadrants in the 1700's and Linpacks around 19. Actual performance is, of course, quite snappy. I attempted 1.5 Ghz, but couldn't seem to get there with any reasonable voltage increase.

EDIT: 300 / 15 is a weak point of stability. Testing further.
--> kicked it up to 25v and blasted it with successive quadrants and stress tests. Running stable and solid.
--> please see my next post: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...rnel-module-w-instructions-2.html#post1767139

Upvote 0
Run Instructions

adb/terminal:

$ su
# insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# setscaling.sh

Does the "insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko" need to be run after reboot/changes or just the setscaling.sh

Just after a reboot. You can change the setscale values with root explorer and then just execute setscale when you're done.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a noon question.

Is setscaling100.sh sane as setscaling.sh just with the basic tweak s?

As in its not a need file, because we change the values in setscaling.sh and that is what the phones use?

Just a bit confused from OP.

Yes, they do the same thing.

setscaling.sh is all stock settings

setscaling100 is stock voltage w/100mhz increase at all frequency slots

Neither is a "stock" file to the phone. They are just simple scripts that tell the overclock.ko kernel module what frequency/voltage to run.

Upvote 0
I'm so jealous. Anything highet than 1.15 for me and my phone goes into turtle mode. I used 68 vsel and couldn't even get to 1.2. My D1 was such a champ, looks like my DX is a dud :(

up to 1.45 but suffering reboots. have not found a good setup yet. my D1 was awesome and could take any LV or ULV kernel and i had no problem with any OC level but my DX seems to be a little more picky. :(

Upvote 0
Yes, they do the same thing.

setscaling.sh is all stock settings

setscaling100 is stock voltage w/100mhz increase at all frequency slots

Neither is a "stock" file to the phone. They are just simple scripts that tell the overclock.ko kernel module what frequency/voltage to run.

So once we run the first set of commands edit the setscaling.sh that was loaded?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Anyway this can work for the D2?

It might work as-is. If not, someone will need to do the Milestone Overclock Disassembly Process and find out what the three memory addresses are.

A start would be running the following in terminal/adb:

Code:
# busybox grep omap2_clk_init_cpufreq_table /proc/kallsyms
c00489e0 T omap2_clk_init_cpufreq_table

Do you get c00489e0 as well? If so, the module should work as-is. If not, someone will need to do the disassambly process completely.

If someone with a D2 is serious about getting this running, PM me and I'll help out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones