1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Droid X 588 to 596

Last Updated:

1. D.X

D.X Member

What is the easiest way of going from non-rooted 588 to 596? The most I have ever done with my phone so far is install the leaked Gingerbread ROM and now I want to update. I never rooted the phone previously, but have heard that Gingerbread may be the last update the phone gets, so I am open to the idea. I have looked around and seen different sets of instructions, but I often times do not know what some of acronyms and terminologies stand for.

When I tried to update the leaked 588 to leaked 595 by following the same steps that I used to install 588, hitting the search button did nothing and I could not get past the screen with the exclamation point without pulling the battery. So does anyone have any ways to get this done for me? The procedures do not scare me, I just need to know what the steps are.

Thanks in advance for some help!

Advertisement
  2. fadeout

fadeout Well-Known Member

I'm stuck in this same boat as well and would just like a clear set of instructions that would point me in the right direction because the more I read the more confusing it seems to get. It seems there are two options either SBF back to stock froyo, which I'm not sure if I can even do from a mac? or root the leaked gingerbread 588 and drop the updated version on top of that and it should work? can someone please chime in with a little more knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.
  3. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

if your on .588 just drop the appropriate zip for .596 on your SD and boot into clockwork recovery and install the .596 zip. and your done.
  4. fadeout

does it matter if you're rooted or not?
  5. trophynuts

...you have to be rooted to do what i mentioned. read the link there are other paths you can take.
  6. DroidxSS

DroidxSS New Member

im running unrooted .588 and tried to install the deodexed and the stock file over mine and both failed, downloading the sbf file now going back to stock then trying the stock file again.
  7. Bugly

Bugly VIP Member VIP Member

fadeout, you can do it on a mac only if you have an Intel chipset (not powerpc), you would have to run an emulator to have either windows or linux running to make RSD lite work (or borrow a buddy's computer)
    Yes, you MUST be rooted for any of this stuff to happen.
    You will need: (if you are on FroYo still)
    + Z4 root (for rooting your device)
    - D2 bootstrap, not DX, it is just too confusing to explain the details on that one)
    + RSD lite 4.9 (in case it goes badly and you have to SBF)
    + The latest moto drivers (for RSD lite so it can recognize your device)
    + The full FroYo SBF file (to save yourself if it goes wrong)
    + the two-part .596 file to bring you up to GB
    The files I marked with a "+", are free to download from anywhere, the one with a "-" is a paid app and you'll need to purchase that from the market for $2.00.
    if you have trouble finding the files, let me know, I'll send you a link from my megaupload account.
    Good luck!
    fadeout likes this.
  8. fadeout

Bugly, I'm running the stock .588 GB leak no root, if I use gingerbreak to root or Z4 (don't really know which is better or if it matters) can I then bootstrap up to .596 through the p3droid TBH thread with the deodexed GB instead of SBF'ing all the way back to froyo? and deodexed would make it easier to run future roms and what not, or should I run the odexed GB first? thanks for the input btw, makes me feel glad there are kind enough people out there who can answer questions instead of just barking flaming remarks when someone doesn't know or understand something completely.
  9. trophynuts

you have two options.

1. try running gingerbreak to root the .588 your on. If it works then you just flash the .596 deodexed zip.
    2. SBF back to froyo and do the part 1 and part 2 method of applying .596.

honestly i didn't know they even had a non rooted .588 i thought there was only one .588 build which is the 3 part application. It is rooted.

when you finally get to the point of putting .596 on go with the deodexed.

also z4root can not be used on any GB builds no matter what.
    D.X, Bugly and fadeout like this.
  10. fadeout

Jus finished fishing for more info and came across that tidbit about Z4 not working. It's not rooted because I have no superuser icon and can't access any root apps. It was a stock build that I loaded thru zip in stock recovery. but now seeing as my warranty is out and I really dont feel like SBF'ing back to froyo (I know it isn't that difficult but if I can avoid doing it I'd rather) I'm going to man up so to speak and root. thanks again for the help. :D
  11. trophynuts

no problem. I hope gingerbreak works for you. It's been about 50/50 on working for people.
  12. jonny9

jonny9 Member

I guess I'm the only one with the .573 leak would this be the same with .573 non rooted OTA LEAK... I haven't seen any post with .573 in a long while I really don't want to spf but if I have to I will have a lot of apps.... or can I wait till the official OTA update and would I get it if I have the official OTA .573 NON rooted GB
  13. trophynuts

no because you need the baseband radio from .588

my recommendation to you is to SBF back to froyo and start from there with the 2 part zip install of .596
  14. fadeout

Got full root with gingerbreak, going with the D2bootstrap to flash the new GB. Thanks a lot guys
  15. trophynuts

great job. Enjoy
  16. Bugly

The only way i have seen to get out of .573 is to SBF back to FroYo,
    What kind of computer are you using?
    What operating system are you using on it?
    I will personally guide you through this if you want me to.
  17. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I was on 573 and had to sbf back to froyo, then bootlooped until I wiped data from stock recovery. Only then was I able to activate, root, install bootstrap and update to 596 and restore my apps via Titanium Backup.
  18. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member

Z4ROOT is currently only made for froyo
  19. jonny9

jonny9 Member

Windows 7 64. Have Motorola installed for sbf didn't back-up 2.2 frayo tho
  20. Bugly

perfect, check your pm
  21. D.X

D.X Member

My wife got the official OTA update this morning and I wasn't able to pull it, so I was able to get root with gingerbreak. Can someone explain why to use the D2Bootstrap instead of the DX Bootstrap?

Thanks again for all of the help! This is what makes the Android community so great!
  22. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

I believe people have said that DX bootstrapper works as long as 'usb debugging' is not enabled. And some of the developers were confused as to why D2 works over DX.
  23. D.X

D.X Member

So should I just buy the D2 bootstrap?
  24. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

You can or you can find it on the interwebs.