• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X AC Charging Issues

eulerphi8

Jul 21, 2010
When I plug in the micro-usb plug into the droid x it doesn't seem to charge the batteries and I have to unplug the A/C wall plug and replug it before it will start charging. I have looked at the status when I first plug in the USB port into the droid x and it says "power source plugged into USB" and then status is discharging. This doesn't seem normal to me, and I don't see why I have to unplug and replug the A/C plug everytime. Is there some chip which is just not registering correctly? Do I need to go to a verizon store and get it checked out? Thanks for any advice.

I've owned the Droid X for almost 3 months now. On my second replacement phone. Have experienced this charging issue consistently.

When I first reported it to Verizon, there was no similar complaints I found here or elsewhere on the www. Now, apparently I am not alone.

The wall/home charger only works intermittently. Car charger works better. Tired of swapping out phones just to experience the same problem

I now have an additional battery and a battery charger. I keep an extra battery charged and ready to swap out.

Seems ridiculous, hoping Motorola or someone figures out this problem soon.

I do not or ever have had any of the programs mentioned above installed, so that rules out the software issue.

Upvote 0
I had a defective usb connector on my phone. When I had my phone plugged into my computer I could hear the computer sound that indicates the usb connection was broken, then connected, then broken again sporadically. Eventually I had to replace my X since it would not charge.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Wish it was that simple. But this is my 3rd Droid X, and the charging issue has duplicated identically with now all 3 phones.

Doing a search I now see several other Droid owners have experienced the same issue.

Verizon is clueless, they just want to keep sending my new (re-manufactured) phones. The store clerks, although pleasant, are there to sell phones, contracts and accessories. Not much care or concern or of help with this issue.

I assume since this is not an isolated issue Motorola and/or Verizon will eventually admit and find a cure for this dysfunction. In the meantime, I have the spare battery and charger, which keeps me and my Droid online. This is my primary business phone, and I can not afford a minute, let alone an hour without it.

I had a defective usb connector on my phone. When I had my phone plugged into my computer I could hear the computer sound that indicates the usb connection was broken, then connected, then broken again sporadically. Eventually I had to replace my X since it would not charge.

Upvote 0
If the phone shows Charging by AC on the car charger, the problem is with your AC Adapter at home.

The usb data connections are not properly shorted/terminated. You should be able to get a replacement easily.

If the phone only shows charging USB regardless of what it is connected to, maybe you have a bad cable or port on the phone. Did any of you try different cables?

My GF had a bad cable with her HTC Hero.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones