• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X actually bricked?

JDotCarter

May 31, 2010
My Droid X is special... It boots into bootloader automagically every time i turn it on. It says its ok to Program when the battery is charged so I have successfully linked it to RSD lite following the documented steps and have run it 4 or 5 times, getting the same result each time. It gets all the way through and then reboot the phone which immediately goes back into bootloader. RSD lite then errors out with a FAIL. The message says

'unable to switch phone to BP pass through mode' or something to that nature.

I have also run it on an ubuntu linux machine where it runs successfully but with no real results.

I have tried so many things, including trying to flash the newest froyo update.zip through the stock recovery. I've wiped multiple times, rebooted etc... running the update.zip gets all the way to updating radio image where it errors out.

assert failed: motorola.update_cdma_bp("/tmp/rdl.bin", /tmp/bp.img")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

is it possible I have a hardware issue?

Do I have a fix?

I've searched and searched and found no fixes for the errors i've encountered. Thanks for any help

When you are running RSD are you trying to apply the update.zip or are you reflashing the SBF? You should be flashing the sbf (checkout rootzwiki).

i am reflashing the SBF. I followed the rootzwiki exactly and those were the errors i got... on a whim i just tried the update.zip to see what would happen. two separate events.

like i said, i run the SBF and it looks like its going to be successful until it gets to the point of rebooting my phone.. do i need to catch my phone while its rebooting and do something different?

Upvote 0

I have tried this, this is the same tutorial on every droid site. What I need is someone to address the errors i'm describing because they seem to be rare enough that I cannot find a solution on my own via google search. I can do NOTHING but boot into bootloader or recovery... If i just pull battery and then boot... it boots immediately to bootloader

Upvote 0
You should'nt have to do anything special. If I remember when I flashed the SBF I loaded it into recovery and cleared the data/cache immediately after the SBF was finished. The other important part is to ensure your drivers are up to date. Are you running Win 32 or 64 bit? I have heard of some issues with guys running 64 bit and RSD.

I've tried it on xp 32bit and win7 64bit with the same error in RSD lite that give me a FAIL... "Unable to switch phone to BP pass through mode" this error occurs seemingly at the end of the flash after the phone reboots, which reboots back into bootloader automatically. i understand there should be a reboot in the flash sequence.. which does it automatically to Bootloader correct?

after this it should finish successfully but my fails to switch to BP pass through for whatever reason

Upvote 0
ok, when you put the battery in dont just hit the power button. Hold down the home button then press power with home still held down. You may have to flash the sbf agani before you do this though.

this boots me into recovery.. which I am able to do... when I flash the sbf it reboots to recovery and fails. I am still able to boot to recovery and bootloader... but what would be the benefit of being in recovery again if i cannot successfully flash my sbf?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones