Droid X actually self-destructs?

Last Updated:

1. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    Vaseline Smith likes this.
  2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I understand where he's coming from, but seriously? He recommends that you don't buy a Droid phone and to not recommend any of them to people? Does the "people" include people who don't care about rooting their phones? Like the vast majority of buyers? Or just the "enthusiasts"? It's like he's thinking that everyone will want to root their phones.

lorick and jroc like this.
  3. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think it's the fact that android is supposed to be open. And this goes against what android stands for. Unfortunately the only way to change this is to not buy it.

4. hawkijustin

hawkijustin Well-Known Member

Maybe they should stop with Android then. The platform is all about being open.

5. broken1i

broken1i Well-Known Member

^exactly, and it sucks because some users would eventually want to root their phone to get the most out of it, I myself was willing to wait a year to root :mad:

6. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

7. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

I have no interest in rooting my phone so no biggie to me

lorick likes this.
  8. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

This cracks me up.

The Android software OS is about being open, all hardware platforms are closed. Any sort of rooting voids all warranties.

Not a single MFR supports the rooting of their phones. HTC has even gone as far as legal action against enthusiast web sites that post HTC ROMS.

And this makes sense for the 99.9% of buyers. For the vocal minority of 0.1% enthusiasts (myself included) this kinda sucks. But don't kid yourself into believing that that the hardware should be open.

9. PeaceMaker

PeaceMaker Well-Known Member

I agree with, "once I buy it, it's mine." Ain't it the truth? I would imagine this makes it extremely more difficult to root because hackers will be bricking phones left and right before they get it right.

10. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

That would be sorta cool if it displayed a message that it will self destruct in 5 seconds then I can throw it over my shoulder all smooth like Tom Cruise.

11. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Would be kinda cool.

12. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Well-Known Member

Great idea for an Android (X only) game: There's three wires; green, red, and black attached to a count-down timer. You have 60 seconds to tap on one of the wires. Guessing wrong actives the eFUSE. The "right" wire is chosen at random.

13. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

... instead it hits your significant other in the face at 4.99 seconds.

You're going to have some explaining to do!

14. nizmoz

nizmoz Well-Known Member

Glad I got a EVO then. This makes me feel better.

15. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

lol!!

16. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

Oh you youngsters..."Get Smart" was doing that back in the 60s!

17. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

How many times have YOU compiled the complete source code from scratch, and loaded it onto an "android handset"?

I'd probably guess there's less than 100 in the world. Even "roms" are usually hacks of the precompiled versions out there.

I'd say you said the wrong thing in your post :D

18. JA1234

JA1234 Well-Known Member

^ exactly and when someone bricks their phone and cant get it to work guess who will pay...the honest folks because in the end all of our Ins fees will increase. I wonder how many "lost" phones will be replaced through assurion.. seen it said to many times in open root forums.. "if you cant unbrick it you could always lose it ;)" :rolleyes:

19. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

ATT/Apple have already implemented something very similar with their precious scratchable phone with hardware antenna issues :D

Again, read my note above. This Droid X implementation will probably not affect the majority of you all. But everyone is having a shocker moment for some reason!!!

20. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Why? Because these companies are trying to turn a profit? We've had these discussions on here in the past, but to reiterate, just like everything else there has to be limits/barriers. Every hear of the saying "no such thing as a free lunch?"

Can you imagine how much revenue and profit companies like Verizon lose when devices are "rooted/jailbroken"?

I'm all for a platform that is more open, but there HAS TO BE some boundaries.

21. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member

You guys will care that you can't ROOT the Droid X when Verizon drops support and it reached EOL about 8mos to a year from now and Android is up past Version 3.0 +.

Once Verizon/Moto stop pushing out OS Updates ROOT would enable you to install your own update to the latest OS.

Just something to think about.

You might now care now because the X is so new and everyone is still in Fanboy stage, but you may care later.

22. 2009m6

2009m6 Well-Known Member

lol, by then i would have sold the X and I will be totin a scorpion( provided htc cleans up their build issues).

I understand that this may not be the most attainable option for everyone.

So is your eris rooted?

aleis likes this.
  23. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

At the rate I change phones, big whoop I say. I'm obviously only speaking for myself here but as a guy that flashes ROMs on his Droid multiple times a week, I'm totally digging the X right now. Time will tell if this becomes an issue but it's not like I can't just buy a new phone or use my Droid 1 and flash my heart away.

24. leemarkin

leemarkin Member

droid doesn't....

25. nobdoor

nobdoor Active Member

QFT.

This is exactly what made Android a serious competitor to Apple in the first place - it wasn't locked.

If a phone running Android is going to be locked as tight as an Iphone, I may as well get the Iphone and the "coolness" of owning an Apple product.