Droid X and Android 2.2 Backup

Last Updated:

1. joshhazel

joshhazel Member This Topic's Starter

My droid x has a deffect and they are shipping me a new one, whats the best and easiest way for a n00b like me to both the droid x and android 2.2 to save backup of things like general settings, files downloaded (music, pdf), bookmarks, phone contacts, maybe apps downloaded and other such stuff?

replacing droid x with droid x

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

You can use programs like Titanium Backup and MyBackup Pro that are perfect for stuff like this but for a noob like your self that probably hasn't purchased either of those....

On the old phone before you get the new one go to Settings/Privacy and check the box for Back up my data and the box for Automatic restore. This will backup & auto reinstall your contacts and all applications installed from the market when you sign into your Google account on the new device.

All your pictures, downloads and other application data are stored on the sdcard and you can just pop the card out of the old DX and into the new one and you should be good to go. Just make sure you have everything you need before sending the old one back but I think that should cover it.

GMB

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I would recommend buying Titanium Backup and using it to backup all your apps. Then all of your app data, settings, and passwords will be saved. I have used MyBackup Pro and Titanium and from experience I can tell you that Titanium is much faster and more reliable

Your contacts and calendar are synced with gmail so that will all transfer

Your pictures, music, files, etc are stored on your SD card by default, so when you get your new DX just swap SD cards

When you get you new DX, just download Titanium Backup and use it to restore all your apps, the backups will all be stored on your SD

Use these steps and setting up your new DX will be a breeze

GrandMasterB likes this.
  4. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

One tidbit that was left out, you MUST be rooted to use TB. Rooting your phone voids the warranty, so you would have to flash it back to stock before sending the old one back or face a full retail charge on your bill for the replacement.

5. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member

LauncherPro allows you to back up your homescreens and AppBrain syncs your apps to an online profile, so you can easily switch phones.

6. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Installing AppBrain from Market and logging in on AppBrain.com will allow you to reinstall all your apps.

7. bmilnes

bmilnes New Member

Settings/Privacy does NOT exist on 2.2 !!

8. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

Huh? Yes it does.

Nice thread resurrection.

9. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

I did want to comment here that although this is universally good advice, the on thing that won't get restored are some application settings. Titanium Backup is definately the way to go, just have to be rooted.

10. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Whether it's checked or not, a weekly Titanium Backup and a periodic recovery backup should still be part of your backup procedure.