Droid X and Droid 2 Already Getting Projected

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Quick! Panic! You’ve only had your brand new Droid X or Droid 2 for a matter of weeks! Verizon can’t seriously already be thinking about phasing them out, can they? Well, yes and no. The good news is that the date pegged for a potential ‘end of life’ for the two new Motorola handsets is [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. 02stampede

02stampede Member

Interesting.. Computers started it, and now it's true with pretty much any electronic device. They are outdated almost as soon as you buy them. My droid 1 was "outdated" 3 weeks ago lol. That's cool. My X should be here next week. Then I have until next year before I need to get another.

3. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

That's verizon for you though.

4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Its interesting. Just note that the Droid EOL was 3 weeks ago....and they are still sending out Froyo for it. It may mean no Gingerbread for the Droid, it may mean by the EOL dates the phone will be on another OS (the Droid is listed on 2.0), it could mean the push to LTE...who knows.

Whatever the case is, I decided last month to go to one year contracts...lol

5. DontEatPoop

DontEatPoop Well-Known Member

I think there just doing changes to the packaging or something.. Thats what happened to another phone that was supposed to be EOL.. i forgot what phone it was though.

6. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

Telephone manufacturers make money by selling phones. EOS (End of Story). As they move toward an assembly line mindset, the phones are becoming cheaper and plasticky pieces of poop. So, I guess its a natural progression to EOL phones so that they can rush the next group to market.

We are seeing phones debuting at $99 dollars in their first week and currently $69.99 (The Vibrant) and even a 1 cent debut on Amazon of the Samsung Captivate and Intercept, and the drop to 1 cent of the HTC Aria and MYTouch Slide.

Basically, the industry is moving to a disposable selling model. Like TV's - remember when people used to get them repaired? Now when your TV breaks, you simply replace it once it is out of warranty.

7. Source

Source Member

This would be great news if verizon didn't stick you on a new contract with a ridiculous ETF when you get a new phone.

8. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

But that's the Carrier's glue! The manufacturer makes money on the equipment and the Carrier gets us on the plan. You want a new phone? Fine. Sign on for 2 additional years and you're good to go! Some carriers will even stick you (the loyal customer) with a ridiculous "upgrade price" to get the new phone, while any "Joe Blow" off the street can get that same phone for 1 cent or whatever the current special pricing may be {The bold at heart can usually cut a deal with Retention Departments - if they are a valued customer}.

Before the phone police get their knickers in a knot, we all know about the "subsidized phones" schpiel. The buying public is fast becoming aware of all the ploys and gimmicks. Pricing is set by the market.
    When people (the phone buying market) ceased to purchase $800 phones in droves, the industry responded with lower price points. {Google's Nexus One was a recent example. Although the N1 was and is a fabulous phone: They set their price at $529 or $179 with Tmo. The public said "No Thanks" in droves}.

This is just like the PC market - When PC's were young they cost a grip ($2500 was common for a desktop setup). Now you can get that same setup for $600 (CPU, Monitor, Printer). Laptops were similar - $2500 or more. Now you can get a great laptop for $600-$800 or less. Enter the 1 Cent Cell Phone.

But wait. Virgin Mobile has entered the ring with an Unlimited Everything, No Contract plan for $60. MetroPCS is upping their ante with the promise of better phones on the way and offering $60 unlimited everything plans for Smartphones as well. Okay. Their phones sorta suck at present but, they have the right idea, plan wise.

So the early EOL for the Droid and others is simply signaling a paradigm shift in the industry. Its all about disposables. What I am hoping is that Virgin and other companies will force the Big Guys to counter them with a similar ala carte plan.

What I'm looking for? I am looking for the company that supports (BYOP - Bring Your Own Phone) GSM SIM card phones, with a $40-$60 unlimited everything plan. Not such a far-fetched idea now, is it?