• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X and the 2.2 official update

zip2

Jul 29, 2010
This may be old news but wanted to share anyway...

Although the 2.2 official update for the Droid X is scheduled for "late summer" according to Motorola here's the scoop.

I just got off the phone with Verizon CS. I was told it will be between one and two MONTHS from today's date as they can't push to everyone at the same time. Being an IT person I understand a rolled out push...

...but one to two months is in the FALL not summer. LOL

So for those who want to wait and not roll with the beta...keep on waiting!

These OTA updates are typically always phased updates.

The previous updates released for the DINC, Droid 1, and Droid 2 took weeks as opposed to months to initially release to the existing and online handsets.

And yea I tend to agree with Firetruck that VZW customer service is repeating the same rumors as are frequently found on the Internet. Maybe I'm cynical but I take whatever I hear from Customer Service with a grain of salt...

Upvote 0
I certainly hope your "weeks not months" holds true! ...and yeah it's probably the "party line" they are throwing out.

I keep thinking "should I install the leak?" but I've seen a mixed bag of reviews here doing so. I guess I'll wait. Not because I lack the ability to do it...but more because I don't want to battle the headaches if things go awry.

It will be interesting to see how the time line (for my push) holds up.

Upvote 0
I just hope it actually DOES something to improve my X. Here's a question?
Will all droids work when VZW unveils its 4G network which its apparently seriously working on or will I have to get a 4G device ie like a EVO? In other words, can 4G capability be handled OTA?

Without a sim card(which my droid x doesn't have) you will be stuck in 3g. However, that is not to say, even if very unlikely, that the phone wasn't build with a "secret micro sim card" right in the phone. The updated the DINC to have an HD camera, they can do about anything now. I saw this and looked into this online, and I was speaking to a moto support person on another issue(froyo release) and they said that they have no information about the phone being 4g compatible. Someone quick, tear apart your phone, and see if theres a micro sim in there. LOL, J/K dont. However, I think if you hit alt+f4 on your computer keyboard, it may send a signal to your phone to give your phone ***OMG 5G***.

Not trying to be a prick, just having fun. Droid X with 4G, not likely.

Just be happy that Froyo should be here soon. The Moto tech said by the end of of the month. Take that for what its worth.

Upvote 0
Mine is downloading now... user-initiated OTA update working :) Ummm, update is version 2.3.15... is it really 2.3 and not 2.2?? Will find out after install I guess.

Edit: There be Froyo here!
Ok, Android version is 2.2; System version is Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US; kernel 2.6.32.9 all happy :)

it is in fact 2.3 for Droid X. How long is the update taking folks?

Upvote 0
My update went fast. "Normal" download speed, followed by about 5 minutes or so for reboot. It may have been longer, but that was about it.

And, Doh! I found the wifi hotspot. I had forgotten it was in apps, listed as "3G WIFI Hotspot"... I kept looking farther down in the apps list and in the settings. I still have had no option for tethering, either in the settings or in the USB connection list.

Scrolling my desktops now is noticeably laggier than before, probably due to ADWLauncher needing an update for Droid X w/Froyo. I have yet to test it with the default launcher instead of ADW.
The Flash 10.1 works as it should as web pages with Flash content now do their thing. The camera has no new features but a slightly tweaked interface... as opposed to the major updates the original Droid camera got from 2.2 (which were all in the original Droid X camera app).
Running in GPS mode on the car dock seemed to work better, though perhaps I just got lucky with the satellite syncing up quickly.

A few other mild tweaks, but nothing else yet worth mentioning.

Upvote 0
So far so good. Phone seems much more responsive overall. Web pages seem to load faster. I just changed the swype after the upgrade so I can't speak for anything there.

A few sprinkles on the froyo...

My PIN password was disabled and I needed to set it back up. Very odd.

I'll keep playing with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones