Droid X and the 2.2 official update

Last Updated:

1. zip2

zip2 Active Member This Topic's Starter

This may be old news but wanted to share anyway...

Although the 2.2 official update for the Droid X is scheduled for "late summer" according to Motorola here's the scoop.

I just got off the phone with Verizon CS. I was told it will be between one and two MONTHS from today's date as they can't push to everyone at the same time. Being an IT person I understand a rolled out push...

...but one to two months is in the FALL not summer. LOL

So for those who want to wait and not roll with the beta...keep on waiting!

Advertisement
  2. firetruck41

firetruck41 Well-Known Member

I guarantee the CS representative at verizon has no idea when the update will roll out or how long the roll out will take. They are just trying to keep expectations low, so there won't be as many complaints/dissatisfied customers. IOW, the info you were given is essentially worthless...

Martimus likes this.
  3. zip2

Time shall tell won't it?? I will post in this thread when my update occurs.

....I do understand your perspective however.....

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

These OTA updates are typically always phased updates.

The previous updates released for the DINC, Droid 1, and Droid 2 took weeks as opposed to months to initially release to the existing and online handsets.

And yea I tend to agree with Firetruck that VZW customer service is repeating the same rumors as are frequently found on the Internet. Maybe I'm cynical but I take whatever I hear from Customer Service with a grain of salt...

5. zip2

I certainly hope your "weeks not months" holds true! ...and yeah it's probably the "party line" they are throwing out.

I keep thinking "should I install the leak?" but I've seen a mixed bag of reviews here doing so. I guess I'll wait. Not because I lack the ability to do it...but more because I don't want to battle the headaches if things go awry.

It will be interesting to see how the time line (for my push) holds up.

6. TangoXray

TangoXray Member

I just hope it actually DOES something to improve my X. Here's a question?
    Will all droids work when VZW unveils its 4G network which its apparently seriously working on or will I have to get a 4G device ie like a EVO? In other words, can 4G capability be handled OTA?

7. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

Without a sim card(which my droid x doesn't have) you will be stuck in 3g. However, that is not to say, even if very unlikely, that the phone wasn't build with a "secret micro sim card" right in the phone. The updated the DINC to have an HD camera, they can do about anything now. I saw this and looked into this online, and I was speaking to a moto support person on another issue(froyo release) and they said that they have no information about the phone being 4g compatible. Someone quick, tear apart your phone, and see if theres a micro sim in there. LOL, J/K dont. However, I think if you hit alt+f4 on your computer keyboard, it may send a signal to your phone to give your phone ***OMG 5G***.

Not trying to be a prick, just having fun. Droid X with 4G, not likely.

Just be happy that Froyo should be here soon. The Moto tech said by the end of of the month. Take that for what its worth.

8. TangoXray

TangoXray Member

the buz on the street is froyo is due tomorrow for the X. Now to download or not?

9. Bunie

Bunie Member

I hope it comes tonight. if not, im going over to Verizon and punching someone. and i know it's Motorola's fault, but someone needs to be punched. :eek: (im kidding, i hope it comes tonight though) :D

10. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

I am going to hold off the update until tomorrow night- maybe Thursday. I have a presentation tomorrow and MUST have wifi tether working-- and who knows if we will be able to root!

11. Prisoner of GLaDOS

Prisoner of GLaDOS New Member

Downloading it now.

Edit: And my phone still works, noticing better scrolling, and new color swype keyboard.

12. PranQster

PranQster Member

Mine is downloading now... user-initiated OTA update working :) Ummm, update is version 2.3.15... is it really 2.3 and not 2.2?? Will find out after install I guess.

Edit: There be Froyo here!
    Ok, Android version is 2.2; System version is Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US; kernel 2.6.32.9 all happy :)

13. firetruck41

firetruck41 Well-Known Member

I got my froyo tonight, I checked for an update and it said I was ready for an update. Downloaded and installed, working fine so far.

14. PranQster

PranQster Member

Mine seems to be missing the options for wifi hotspot and usb tethering. I was able to select tethering on my original Droid with Froyo, but it's not an option on this one :(

15. stormwarz

stormwarz Member

Just updated phone runs hot!

16. PranQster

PranQster Member

Does anyone else not have the settings for hotspot and tethering?? Those are definitely missing from my phone.

17. Bunie

Bunie Member

Just did a brief test of 2.2 perhaps it was just bad luck but the Market seems to be going unbelievably slow. It also seems to be slower instead of that 2x to 5x performance boost i was promised with the JIT thing. The app list is ALOT faster than previous, however, a huge plus.

18. zip2

Woot!! Downloading now. I guess the one to two month VZW info crap...was indeed.......crap. LOL

I'll see what it brings for me.

19. TangoXray

TangoXray Member

it is in fact 2.3 for Droid X. How long is the update taking folks?

20. PranQster

PranQster Member

My update went fast. "Normal" download speed, followed by about 5 minutes or so for reboot. It may have been longer, but that was about it.

And, Doh! I found the wifi hotspot. I had forgotten it was in apps, listed as "3G WIFI Hotspot"... I kept looking farther down in the apps list and in the settings. I still have had no option for tethering, either in the settings or in the USB connection list.

Scrolling my desktops now is noticeably laggier than before, probably due to ADWLauncher needing an update for Droid X w/Froyo. I have yet to test it with the default launcher instead of ADW.
    The Flash 10.1 works as it should as web pages with Flash content now do their thing. The camera has no new features but a slightly tweaked interface... as opposed to the major updates the original Droid camera got from 2.2 (which were all in the original Droid X camera app).
    Running in GPS mode on the car dock seemed to work better, though perhaps I just got lucky with the satellite syncing up quickly.

A few other mild tweaks, but nothing else yet worth mentioning.

21. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

W00t. Woke up this morning, and checked for updates and there it was. So far so good, I might go to the store and buy some froyo to enjoy with froyo.

EDIT: does 2.2 improve reception? I am noticing an increase in reception

22. zip2

So far so good. Phone seems much more responsive overall. Web pages seem to load faster. I just changed the swype after the upgrade so I can't speak for anything there.

A few sprinkles on the froyo...

My PIN password was disabled and I needed to set it back up. Very odd.

I'll keep playing with it.

23. kdx

kdx New Member

Do i need to unroot before the update?

24. coolbrz731

coolbrz731 Member

A co-worker downloaded the 2.2 and noticed he stopped getting audio on his NPR stations. Anybody else seeing this?

25. zip2

I'm no expert by any means but I believe I read here you need to unroot to get the OTA update.