Droid X as an iTouch replacementSupport

Last Updated:

1. psoulos

psoulos Active Member This Topic's Starter

Currently I carry two devices around with me, my crappy Samsung phone which is only used to make calls and text and my ipod touch for music.

I know none of the music apps for android are that great yet, but that isn't my issue. As long as I can listen to music I don't really care how elegant the program is.

My question is, how does music quality on the Droid X compare to other phones (incredible, iphone 4) and my ipod touch. I have some nice quality headphones and rip at 320 kbps so I'm trying to get the best sound quality possible.

Thanks

edit: This review does not make the music playback sound too promising (http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/122974-incredible-vs-moto-x-fight.html)

Advertisement
  2. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Well I will say that the sound quality may not be as good but the moment I got my Droid in December I have't used my itouch since. Between your own music and apps like Pandora I saw no need to carry around two devices. I just sold it to my brother.

3. psoulos

psoulos Active Member This Topic's Starter

This sounds a bit risky, but later on down the road would it be possible to open up the phone and solder in a new 3.5 mm jack to improve music quality?

4. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

This seems highly unecessary...the sound quality is good...and you can now download music apps that have eq

5. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

I had the htc incredible and i can attest to it having a shitty sound.

It was horrable sounding even with 320kb mp3's

my Sansa Fuze mp3 player sounded soo much better, both using the same headphones.

BTW, i have a pair of Ultimate ears $200 Dual driver earphones, i can pick up the slightest issues with these earphones.

I'm hoping that the Droid x will be better.

Fingers crossed

6. droidxterp

droidxterp Member

I am returning my droid x because of the poor sound quality. I cant even listen to mp3s after having my ipod touch for a year. The quality on the touch is sooo much better. Pandora is not even worth a try it sounds so bad even on high quality

Whats worse is my old BB curve sounded better on pandora

7. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

i just came from a storm and i have an 80gig ipod. i probably will no longer use my ipod, actually i don't know where it is b/c i listened to music on my storm (didn't like carrying two devices that size)...i have some quality(read not the best/most expensive but i like them alot) headphones-skullcandy full metal jackets...they have 11mm drivers...anyways, i think the sound on the Dx is great! i found that once i went into the sound setting and turned on the eq effects(not a full eq but bass punch works nicely) the sound was really pretty good on pandora and on mp3s...you just have to go into your wired speaker settings...
    i'm all for it...and the music player isn't bad at all, but i pretty much stick to pandora

8. bennec

bennec Well-Known Member

Is the sound quality going to be improved with software upgrades, or is this a hardware issued DX folks are forced to live with? I will get mine tomorrow and it sounds stupid that Verizon and Motorola would push this phone as "entertainment in your hands" and yet the sounds apparantely sucks based on what I'm reading on the forum.

9. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

You obviously don't have the X, so you should complain about sound quality yet...i and many think it sounds great.

10. Pucuck

Pucuck Well-Known Member

I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I sold my touch so I could buy the Droid X. I'm very happy with the trade off and the only thing I miss about the touch was the 64 gb hdd. I'm just using some skull candy earbuds at the moment. They sounded good on my touch and they sound good on the X. I had around 40 gigs of music, but I was able to make a playlist consisting of about 12 gigs of music for my X. I rip in Apple loss-less.

11. droidxterp

droidxterp Member

From what i've read on this website, my hunch that the audio quality is less than great in motorola devices Motorola MILESTONE review: Hello Droid - GSMArena.com

Some people, however, just don't notice this stuff. Unfortunately I am kinda an audio buff and to me it's "in your face" tinny and harsh

Granted its not the droid x but since there is a pattern among other moto phones on that site i see no reason why my gut feeling about the droid x wouldnt be true.

If you havent bought the phone yet bring an ipod touch to the store and compare it with the droid using good earbuds or headphone