Droid x bad esn, can I still use it as a pmp, (ipod Touch)

1. shadowfreeden

shadowfreeden New Member

I'm looking at bidding on a droid X on ebay but I'm a little confused. I know if one has a bad esn it can't be activated on verizon's network, but does all it's features still work? Can I still use it's wifi and buy apps through my gmail account? Use the camera ect. ect. I want all it's features to work lack the phone part. Any feedback would be great thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. finaticmw

finaticmw Active Member

I have one as a spare at home that is not activated that I use as wifi only and play my pandoura all the time.
    shadowfreeden likes this.
  3. shadowfreeden

shadowfreeden New Member

Sweet, is the esn bad on it?
  4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. The ESN only gets checked when it joins the cellular network.
  5. shadowfreeden

shadowfreeden New Member

so everything will work then?
  6. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

7. Bankswood

Bankswood Well-Known Member

I have rad on some Droid X forums where people are taking their Droid to Cricket Dealers and having them flashed to work on the Cricket network. I don't know if a bad ESN would have any effect on doing this.
  8. butthead007

butthead007 Well-Known Member

You can use the Droid X for everything but being activated on Verizon's network with a bad esn. A bad esn could be a stolen device, a non-pay disconnect device, or a device that an insurance claim was filed on and the device was never turned over to asurion.

Yes, everything will work if you want a glorified ipod touch.
  9. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Personally, I'd stay away from a phone with a bad esn.
  10. Bankswood

Bankswood Well-Known Member

Good point Steven58, I didn't know we had to be ethical during this discussion.
  11. shadowfreeden

shadowfreeden New Member

Perfect response butthead007. thats all i need to know thanks man!
  12. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

I agree on this, buying bad ESN phones promotes more people to steal more phones. Cut off the demand and there shouldn't be any reason for a supply.
  13. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

A phone that is flagged on the Verizon Network will never work on verizons network again.

When we scan these phones in the system a dialog box pops up that says, "This device is on the lost or stolen list" So that is no good for sure.

You have an interesting question though... While I was waiting for my Droid X to get activated (I got it over the weekend and dealer support is closed friday sat sunday) I was trying to mod it out. I couldnt get past the activate screen. My ATT dealer phone (Htc Aria) Would boot up and all just would say "Sim Not provisioned" But During that down time I was able to root and mess with it.
  14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

If you watch craiglist you can get phones with good ESN's just as cheap as defunct phones. I would never buy one b/c it may be stolen.
  15. mp4podcastDOTc

mp4podcastDOTc New Member

I just bought a great HTC Droid Incredible from craigslist with a extra battery and a case and screen protector for a $150.00 dollars. I met the seller at the Verizon store in the mall.

He made a posting that he wanted to get a Droid 2 and he wanted to kill to stones with one bird. He did not say that but that's what he wanted. To go to the Verizon store and sell his old HTC Droid Incredible and buy the Droid 2.

I been looking on craigslist for another droid that has a better GPU then the one in the Snapdragon chips like a Samsung Galaxy or a Droid 2 or Droid X.

I was on craigslist and saw a Droid X for $150.00 dollars and it said bad esn. So I google bad esn and found this post.

Its not worth buying a phone that is hot.

I'm just glad everything went well for me buying my first Droid. Because I only need one to review apps for my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mp4podcastDOTcom

I know Verizon sells the Droid X as pre-paid

Prepaid Phones & Prepaid Plans | Verizon Wireless

Could I buy one of those and just use it like a iPod Touch if I do not want verizon service?