• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X Battery Life Issues.

Carrman216

Jul 16, 2010
So, I got the Droid X Friday...very excited all great things being talked about on the internet about it...the thing they talked about the most was how GREAT the battery life is....well let me tell you...they are all a bunch of liars...Ive never had a phone with battery life as terrible as this thing...ive talked to a rep that told me "ohhh just gotta let it drain and then charge...do that a couple times and it should be fine"...ok i figured that was all nonsense because she wanted me off the phone so i did that.

Now did that work?? nooo of course not...i take it off the charger and after 6 minutes and 23 seconds of use it drops down 10%, the back is pretty warm at all times...i've turned off the GPS, WIFI, and whatever else their is to turn off...Its insanely pathetic...

Is anyone else having this problem, it seems like no matter what when you get a verizon phone its guaranteed to break or have a problem...

I get through about 5 hours of very moderate use....

Please let me know if other people are having a problem?

I had really crappy battery life after my first charge (5-6 hours)...wasn't sure what the deal was so I looked around on this site and got rid of a battery widget that displayed the amount of charge I had left and also stopped using the Advanced Task Killer. I'm at 40% charge left after being on straight for 30 hours with moderate use (a lot of texting) and a lot of photo and video shooting. I'll charge it in the morning at work if it's still alive.

Upvote 0
Download advanced task killer. Kill all apps before you lock the phone or shut it down, etc.

^ this has helped my batter life soooooo much. before that it drained like crazy.

please please please stop spreading misinformation.

This phone has not been out long enough for people to have fully tested battery life with and without a task killer. I will say this as many times as I need to to get the point across. IF YOU NEED ONE APP TO CONTROL ANOTHER THEN YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED EITHER ONE!

Upvote 0
I had really crappy battery life after my first charge (5-6 hours)...wasn't sure what the deal was so I looked around on this site and got rid of a battery widget that displayed the amount of charge I had left and also stopped using the Advanced Task Killer. I'm at 40% charge left after being on straight for 30 hours with moderate use (a lot of texting) and a lot of photo and video shooting. I'll charge it in the morning at work if it's still alive.

I got rid of the appkiller as well since I heard that was terrible...People have said oh go into battery manager>battery use and see what is eating your battery so i did that...

Right now it says "Display: 93% and Cell Standby: 8%"....now am i going insane or does that not = 100%? how am i using 101% of a battery? and its not even like a program thats doing it...its the screen??? its on the lowest brightness...

just incredible

Upvote 0
hahaha....you guys are not helping Carrmen216. One says stop using ATK, the other say kill all apps with ATK.

Carrmen216 - here other things you can try. Lower screen brightness (i have mine set at 35%) and turn off auto brightness, reduce widgets update frequency, stop using live wallpaper, log out of instant messaging programs when not in use. Using ATK is debatable. Some people say it works, other say it makes their battery worse. Personally I don't use it, and my battery is fine. Although I do all of the things I mentioned above so that it doesn't cause excessive drain.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
I got rid of the appkiller as well since I heard that was terrible...People have said oh go into battery manager>battery use and see what is eating your battery so i did that...

Right now it says "Display: 93% and Cell Standby: 8%"....now am i going insane or does that not = 100%? how am i using 101% of a battery? and its not even like a program thats doing it...its the screen??? its on the lowest brightness...

just incredible

it rounds those numbers off, and It doesn't mean that 100% of your battery is being used. It means that of what battery has been used, the display took 93% (probably more like 92.5) and Cell standy by took 8%(or 7.5)

Upvote 0
hahaha....you guys are not helping Carrmen216. One says stop using ATK, the other say kill all apps with ATK.

Carrmen216 - here other things you can try. Lower screen brightness (i have mine set at 35%) and turn off auto brightness, reduce widgets update frequency, stop using live wallpaper, log out of instant messaging programs when not in use. Using ATK is debatable. Some people say it works, other say it makes their battery worse. Personally I don't use it, and my battery is fine. Although I do all of the things I mentioned above so that it doesn't cause excessive drain.

excellent my friend.

Upvote 0
it rounds those numbers off, and It doesn't mean that 100% of your battery is being used. It means that of what battery has been used, the display took 93% (probably more like 92.5) and Cell standy by took 8%(or 7.5)

Oh ok...I just don't understand shouldn't it show other things using my battery life? the screen is on the lowest brightness...also does everyone else's run warm all the time??

The only widget I have running is the weather channel app...I cant imagine that thing being the cause for my battery to leak this terribly...could it just be a defective phone?

Upvote 0
So, I got the Droid X Friday...very excited all great things being talked about on the internet about it...the thing they talked about the most was how GREAT the battery life is....well let me tell you...they are all a bunch of liars...Ive never had a phone with battery life as terrible as this thing...ive talked to a rep that told me "ohhh just gotta let it drain and then charge...do that a couple times and it should be fine"...ok i figured that was all nonsense because she wanted me off the phone so i did that.

Now did that work?? nooo of course not...i take it off the charger and after 6 minutes and 23 seconds of use it drops down 10%, the back is pretty warm at all times...i've turned off the GPS, WIFI, and whatever else their is to turn off...Its insanely pathetic...

Is anyone else having this problem, it seems like no matter what when you get a verizon phone its guaranteed to break or have a problem...

I get through about 5 hours of very moderate use....

Please let me know if other people are having a problem?

Did you ever think it might actually be the batter and not the phone itself. Your so quick to put down the phone, but have you even traded it in for another to see how a new one is. When a customer comes in with the same problem you are saying I normally just give them a new battery out of another box and never hear from them again.

Upvote 0
Oh ok...I just don't understand shouldn't it show other things using my battery life? the screen is on the lowest brightness...also does everyone else's run warm all the time??

The only widget I have running is the weather channel app...I cant imagine that thing being the cause for my battery to leak this terribly...could it just be a defective phone?

It could be. It could also be a defective battery. My suggestion is to test it out. Get rid of the weather channel app and see if it improves. If not, you could try a factory reset and start over and see if that will do. If nothing works, send it back and get a new one.

Upvote 0
this is what you get for the getting the biggest phone out there big screen = small battery life, why is the screen even that big?

It makes it easier for people with big hands to type on. I went from the eris to the X and it feels so much better in my hands. I do not feel like I am going to break it, and I can type much faster with it.

Upvote 0
Did you ever think it might actually be the batter and not the phone itself. Your so quick to put down the phone, but have you even traded it in for another to see how a new one is. When a customer comes in with the same problem you are saying I normally just give them a new battery out of another box and never hear from them again.

obviously you work there and youve learned the tech support blueprint. she obviously is new and needs a little help:)

Upvote 0

Well I certainly hope this is the case...but guess what...Verizon sold me the phone with this battery in it..therefore it goes hand in hand...so yes im going to blame the phone...its also the fact that i got a brand new phone and now I have to waste my time and go back to their terrible store and exchange something out already after 3 days of owning it. Every phone I've had from Verizon has been absolutely terrible...their is always some kind of problem...first the motorola q...then the storm...i mean it just never ends...and i feel like the service reps know less then people on these forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones