Droid X Camera Not Working After Update?Support

Last Updated:

1. himayv

himayv New Member This Topic's Starter

Got the Droid X on 7/15, everything was great, got the system update, now the camera won't work. Black screen only, even though both the Camera and Camcorder apps behave like they're working (with a black screen). Cannot take pictures at all, can take video, although no image is shown and playback of videos is a completely black screen.

I look in the camera and it looks like the shutter is open, although I'm not 100% certain what a closed shutter would look like. I think I can see the lens.

I did a full System Restore, the problem did not go away.

I've tried the camera app from the marketplace, facebook, etc., all treat the camera in the same way: just a black screen.

Trying to take a picture, the focus noise doesn't even sound.

This was working prior to the update, albeit in a laggy manner. Should I return my Droid X, or is there some other software / use fix I have not tried?

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
  2. dequardo

dequardo Well-Known Member

I vote return. Stuck shutter?

himayv likes this.
  3. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Member

I just noticed that this happened to me as well. I'm pretty pissed about it. Now I may have to go through the hassle of returning it.

Camera and Camcorder were running just fine before the update...

4. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Member

No one else is having this problem? I think I'm going to return the X and get the Incredible. Motorola has been making nothing but crappy products lately and this phone needs to last me 2 years. HTC's phones are better.

5. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

I am having the exact same issue. I posted it earlier this morning as well. It's really annoying. Was considering a factory reset to see if that works. If anyone has an idea, i'd be open to hearing it.

6. T66T

T66T Well-Known Member

its most likely a software issue that can be fixed with an ota update. don't know for sure if motorola will release one though if they dont get enough complaints about it

7. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

I'm going to try my luck with a return and probably just wait for the 2.2 update.

8. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Member

9. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. I am contacting someone on the forum to see about getting a replacement or help of some kind. I'll post any progress.

10. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

Here's my experience so far (posted on the Moto forums):

"Very frustrating. Tried the over the phone route and was told to go to the store. Went to the store who gave me another number to call. Tried that and was told to try the store. Tried a corporate store location and they basically didn't want anything to do with me. My last resort is to try my friend who is a regional sales rep for VZW. I am becoming worried that this is going to continue until my return eligibility is up and I am stuck with a faulty phone. I hate to play this card, but if I had this issue with AT&T, it would have been resolved in a day. I still haven't fully canceled my AT&T line and I'm beginning to think I shouldn't.

Sorry. Had to vent. I'm very frustrated."

11. balvis4

balvis4 New Member

Having same problem. Went to a verizon store and they performed a hard reset (cleared all data from my phone) which failed to restore my camera/camcorder. They gave me a customer service number to try and put a note on my account. Called Customer Service, told me that bc i pre-ordered from Best Buy, i had to go through them to order a new one. I have one on order now, which is back-ordered (no time frame).
    Its beyond frustrating. The phone works great other than this problem, likely caused by the update.

12. sark86

sark86 Member

Mine stopped working today and I tried everything including a factory reset. Nothing worked, just a black screen. I took it into verizon and he said they had someone in yesterday with the same problem. They are shipping me a brand new phone overnight. (They said they had some in stock, we'll see how long it takes to get a new one). I'll update when I get it.

13. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

Stopped into a corporate store today. Had the techs look at it. They are shipping me one when they can (said Aug 5th). I may finally get this resolved.

14. sark86

sark86 Member

Just received my replacement in less than 36 hours from when I first went in to the store about it. That was quick! Everything is working great...including the camera. Hopefully it stays working this time.

15. thebdawg49

thebdawg49 New Member

Mine was doing that also while trying to take an picture. The weird thing is I was listening to Pandora and didn't close it. Instead switched to camera and tried to take a pic and could not view it. It showed a new picture, but could not open it or anything. I close Pandora with my app killer and everything works again. Tried it twice and while I have Pandora going can not take a pic. Sucks but I can live with it for now and hopefully Motorola comes out with an easy fix for it. Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

16. Talon0000

Talon0000 New Member

About a month after upgrading to v2.2 and at least 3 weeks after using Launcher Pro, my camera/camcorder stopped working although 3rd part apps seem to still work.

I just noticed today that when connected via a USB cable to my laptop - in USB Storage Mode, the camera now works. I turned off USB Storage Mode and went to Charge Only mode, the camera stopped working.

It seems that there is a problem with my microSD card (SanDisk-about a month old-it is a replacement since my first MicroSD card died). I am copying everything out of my DCIM folder now to see if that now helps. If it does not, I will backup my MicroSD card data and then format the card.

Hopefully this will give others a few ideas to try before requesting a refurb... I mean a replacement phone - especially when your phone is only a few months old. I paid for a New phone not a discounted/refurbished phone. For those of you that do need to get a replacement phone, I would insist on a replacement. I would not settle for some lame excuse and finger pointing/phone numbers at the store or on the phone. Once you get that approved, you can fight for a new phone rather than a refurb replacement. This you might not be able to do, but it is worth a shot.

17. spodic

spodic New Member

My camera/camcorder stopped working today. I thought it might be LP or the host of widgets that I installed over the past few days. Made several battery pulls to no avail. Tried switching back to blur to no avail. Considered a factory reset, then...

As per previous post suggestion, pulled SD card and camera worked. Then swapped in SD card from old BB Storm and still works and takes pics. Put stock 16gb card back in and camera does not work.

Come to think of it, weeks ago I'd been having some MP3s vanish from playlists and also lost some pics that I knew were there.

Looks like a corrupt SD card can cause the camera/video to stop working.

Edit: OK, so switched back to stock 16gb (corrupt?) card. I launched the camera app as soon as the phone would let me while Weather, calendar, etc. were still loading data. Camera worked. Closed and then waited for phone to settle and then camera did not work. Repeated but instead left camera running for a while. Now I camera works each time I try. Then performed several batt pulls and it's still working.

Conclusion: I have no idea what is going on :) I'll probably replace SD card with 32gb because I've been looking for an excuse to.

18. Talon0000

Talon0000 New Member

UPDATE: The camera is now working!
    ----------------------------------------

So deleting the contents of the DCIM folder did not work for me

I backed up my data then formatted the card within the phone. The camera and camcorder now work fine!

I created a folder on the MicroSD card named Pictures and that is where I copied my previous photos and ones that were not even from my phone.

All is well for now.

I still need to see if My HMDI out is working now. It was freezing on the screen right after going to 2.2