droid x contact alertsSupport

Last Updated:

1. scout04

scout04 Member This Topic's Starter

coming from years with blackberry there is a feature that i am missing a great deal. on the blackberry (storm1,tour,storm2) i could set up ringtones for individual people that regardless of what setting the phone was on (silent,vibrate) the individual contact would ring thru with whatever i set them up as. i really need this functionality on my droid x -
    PLEASE HELP !!

Advertisement
  2. scout04

TTT anyone ???????????????

3. misteresock

misteresock Active Member

Go to the edit contact screen of a given contact.
    Scroll down to Additional Info and expand it.
    Scroll further down to Call Handling and select Ringtone.
    Select your desired ringtone, click OK, and then Save the contact.

4. scout04

this does NOT work for the intended purpose and question - i can assign any ring tone i want to an individual contact - but if the phone is on silent it will NOT ring thru like what i am trying to get it to do.

5. misteresock

misteresock Active Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm not sure if there's a way to do what you're talking about then.
    That said, you could set it up to be in some sort of meeting mode. As in, create a very quiet ringtone by default, and just have the custom ones set up.

6. scout04

thsnks anyway for your help - im really hoping someone with previous blackberry experience can check this out on their old blackberry and help me with a solution - its a very handy feature to have and did not realize the droid did not have it or at least the x - im not sure if the incredible does or not but i will check it out. anyone else with any ideas please help me - i really need this feature or an alternate to work from an app or something - thanks.

7. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

8. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

Just wondering if this app helped..???

9. scout04

im sorry - the app did not do what i need it to do. most of these applications for ringers only do what you can already do manually and that is set your ring tones for ALL of your contacts to be on vibrate or silent at certain parts of the day and switch back over. I need all of my contacts to ring silent EXCEPT for ones that i designate to ring ALL the time (for my son and a few other people but not be disturbed by anyone else. im still looking but it may be a functionality that only blackberry has.

10. ShinigamiAlterEgo

ShinigamiAlterEgo Member

11. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Why would you want a ringtone to ring through if the phone is on silent? What happens if you're in a meeting or something and can't have any noise interruptions? I thought the point of silent or vibrate was no sound?

12. scout04

the point is that certain people should be able to reach you no matter what - regardless if im in a meeting or asleep i want my son to be able to reach me and certain family members that may have health issues. with the blackberry contacts you could set up those individuals with their own ringtone and a preset volume that would ring thru no matter what. it was a great feature to set the phone on silent at nite and not have text msgs, emails, and other phone calls or other notifications coming thru all nite but also knowing that the people you set up for this feature could reach you if need be.

13. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

But how do you stop those things from making noise when you're in a situation where sound isn't appropriate?

14. scout04

on the blackberry you would just hit end to send to vmail or hit the volume key to silence the ring - wasnt a big deal and you were at least notified of the call immediately.

15. paulrein

paulrein Member

In addition to having a silent sound profile you had a no alerts profile. Blackberries are definitely better in his area. I miss the ability too.

16. bobthebob

bobthebob Active Member

well - it's a workaround for sure but you could simply use a 'silent' mp3 as your ringtone - then only those contacts with custom ringtones would ring audibly.

you can use Ringdroid to make a silent ring tone if you can't find something that would work on the net.

b

ps - i think someone earlier suggested this but didn't go into detail.