Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. ju1c3

ju1c3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Wow, and all the comments saying "nobody roots, so this won't affect 99% of the users." Are you kidding me? I'd say closer to 70% of users root, wouldn't you?

3. MikeEnIke

MikeEnIke Active Member

I think 70% is a little much. Maybe more like 5%, a lot of people never go on the internet to android forums or anything.

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I appreciate you posting this. I feel it is important for people to know what they are getting into if they pick up a DroidX. There are a couple other articles I was reading last night with statements from Motorola regarding their stand against the Android hacking community with the DroidX. It's not pretty.

Safe to say I will be passing on the DX....

5. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

No I would not say that. I am sure it is much closer to 99%. First off this board is just a very very small sample size of the actuall installed user base. Now even if you take that small portion only propably 25% of the posters here (if even that much) have rooted there Incredibles. We are talking about a very small percetage.

Anyway I am not getting a Droid X so I don't care.

6. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if 5% of users root, truthfully. Out of the 350,000 Incs that have been sold, even assuming that 17,500 of them are rooted seems like a high estimate.

7. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

I saw this article come up and laughed out loud (to myself) at all the people that were on this forum hating on the DINC saying the X will blow it out of the water. Well guess what...i doubt it will even make waves now

8. ju1c3

this is just letting the people of this forum know whats up with it being as there are quite a few who said they want the droid X. people on this forum might want to root, to hell with the rest of the people who want it for a status symbol. might not hurt moto's sales overall too much, but w/e

9. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

Sorry, guys, but this won't affect Droid X sales very much. Very few people root, and I'm sure a workaround is already being developed.

This isn't an issue.

10. mik0r

mik0r Well-Known Member

11. DavidinGA

DavidinGA Well-Known Member

One more reason to not like Motorola...HTC for teh win =)

12. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Actually, it is an issue. Who cares how it affects sales anyways? Not us. Weird thing to be sorry about.

13. GrandMasterB

Noooo, Do you guys realized how many sites are dedicated or have dedicated sections for hacking/Roming? There tons of them as indicated by this quote,

"It

Damn_Smooth likes this.
  14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

this is only an issue for a very small % of people who root, I highly doubt it's more than 2 or 3% of people. even on this forum of hardcore users most people don't root, and the general population doesnt even know what the word means

and really, I see what Motorola is coming from. Motorola, HTC, Samsung, all these companies are desperately trying to avoid the fate of desktop PC manufacturers in 90's. They all used Windows, the only differentiator became hardware which brought about a price war which benefited none of them. they all ended up making similar grey boxes. Microsoft made out fine b/c the profits were in Windows.

in a similar way, if Motorola, HTC et all just end up making vanilla Android phones where the only difference is hardware, there won't be much money for them to make. the hardware won't end up being THAT much different from one another, they will be forced to compete on price, and that is a death spiral for them. their solution has been to come up with custom Android UI's (Sense, Motoblur, etc) which differentiate them from each other...but as Android improves I doubt this will really work. Motorola has no history of great software development, neither does Samsung, and even the cool parts of Sense will soon be made redundant by Froyo and Gingerbread

but this is what they get for years of stagnation and letting Apple crush them with the iphone. Google made Android, Motorola made shitty software, and so Google will win. by this time in 18 -24 months or so, my guess is custom UI's are gone.

15. GrandMasterB

Is that the same workaround they are using on the Motorola Milestone? :rolleyes:

16. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

No, it's not. As has been said already, the vast majority of phone users don't root. This won't be an issue for them.

For those who do, a workaround will be created (probably within days). The people at XDA live for stuff like this.

17. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

I am sure most people do not root. But whether or not a person decides to root, this is a slap in the face to most people who prefer Android phones because they are open.

When I bought my Dinc I had no intention of rooting, but if HTC was going to deliberately brick my phone if I tried--I would have said, "To hell with you!"

18. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth Well-Known Member

100,000 people downloaded custom roms last week alone? Anyone saying this is insignificant needs to lay off the moto-aid.

And there will be no workaround because nobody is going to be dumb enough to brick multiple phones trying to find one. Last I checked, they weren't exactly inexpensive.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  19. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Well-Known Member

They can take the moto but they can never take OUR freeeeeedom!

yojoe600 likes this.
  20. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

It's definitely an issue, especially since it won't be fixed within days.

Many people are affected.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  21. ju1c3

i spent 300 on my phone, i wanna do with it what i want. dont stop me. if i wanna make it a cupholder, then so be it. if i wanna break it in half then fine. if i wanna put a different OS on it, then i better damn sure be able to.

Divine_Madcat and Taylored like this.
  22. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

This is so Apple-esk that it's sickening.

necosino likes this.
  23. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Well-Known Member

Did anybody bother to read the update at the end of the story?

24. ju1c3

maybe the update just happened.

25. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth Well-Known Member

Even if the e-fuse doesn't brick it, you still have to deal with the locked bootloader. Judging by the lack of success with the milestone, you still won't be seeing custom roms on the x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.