DROID X DOES: Mobile Recovery

Last Updated:

1. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

[​IMG]

Have a Verizon Wireless smartphone? Is it insured? Now you’re even more covered.

Verizon introduces their Mobile Recovery plan to customers who subscribe to their Total Equipment Coverage Program run by Asurion. Here are some of the benefits of Mobile Recovery.

Sound Alarm — Have your smartphone trigger an alarm so you can find it, even if it is in silent or vibrate mode.
    Locate Phone — Phone outside audible range from Sound Alarm? Use GPS to locate your phone with an address, a map, or turn by turn directions.
    Secure Phone — Lock or wipe your device remotely if you cannot locate it quickly.
    Mobile recovery is available to select smartphones covered under the Total Equipment Coverage Plan, which would include Verizon’s Android phones as well. But if you don’t have the Asurion insurance package, you’re out of luck.

Supported Android phones on the plan are:

HTC DROID Incredible
    HTC Eris
    LG Ally
    Motorola Devour
    Motorola DROID
    Motorola DROID 2
    Motorola DROID X <--
    Samsung Fascinate
    Head over to MyMobileRecovery.com to see eligible smartphones and to find out if you can add the TEC package to your Verizon contract.

Full Press Release from Verizon.

Advertisement
    Doit2it, eraursls1984 and sund0wn like this.
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

It's good. I have it. It's through Assurion.

3. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

4. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had Mobile Defense, so it's really nothing new to me.

5. lilRikki

lilRikki Well-Known Member

"Unrecognized device. Please try again later." :confused:

6. cultldr

cultldr Well-Known Member

Same thing here, rebooted and get that message while it's trying to connect to the server.

7. cornflwr33

cornflwr33 Well-Known Member

I got the same message..... Will try again later. Wonder why it said that?

8. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

How much does that service cost per month?

9. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Included if you are a Verizon Wireless Total Equipment Coverage (TEC) subscriber.

Advanced coverage through Asurion.

10. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

i am quite certain i started a thread on this over a month ago. i even think it was a sticky for a couple weeks. i, however, cant seem to find that thread. my user info doesnt even show it. anyway, thanks for posting again. i think it's a great value add for TEC.

ericnail likes this.
  11. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

12. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

For those having problems make sure you are trying to open the link in the stock browser. That is what I had to do when I got it last week.

13. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

for some reason i'm still getting the unrecognized device response when I open the app. has anyone who had that before been able to fix that?

14. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

I am getting the same error. With either Wifi, or 3G.

15. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

The reason the device is unknown is because of the 2.2 update. They are currently working on a fix.

16. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I tried it just to see if it worked, it did. I can do all of this through Tasker profiles I have set up and I can do it from an SMS from any phone so I don't use it.

I did however put it on my wife's X. For those not using tasker this is a great service to have.

17. Stirfry001

Stirfry001 Member

I got the error message at first too using the dolphin browser. I then tried using the stock browser and the same error message popped up. I then went outside making sure I had a good GPS view and used the stock browser and it worked fine. Not sure if it was using the GPS or not, the 3g was the only thing showing being used. Now it is working great.

18. jasondhsd

jasondhsd Well-Known Member

Working fine here, 2.2 and downloaded through Dolphin. It did prompt me to enable gps, I'm hoping even though gps is enabled it's not actually sucking battery unless I'm in google maps or using the locate my phone feature. Which by the way I did test and it was able to locate my phone even though I'm in doors.

19. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Done and done. I'll keep it running a few days and see how much drain the GPS always on will be. Might have to remove/disable. We'll see. Note: I have the Asurion insurance but NOT the extended warranty, so I don't think you need both to get the service.

Did test the locate. Inside: 1st time didn't get a fix so the coordinates were off by about 600 yards. Moved the phone away from my computer (interference) and got a lock and the location was spot on.

Did the alarm test, but no luck. Got an error message on the website: Mobile Recovery can communicate with your phone, but the alarm on your phone could not be sounded. This happened twice. The Alarm screen shows up on the phone, but no sound. My phone is set to max ringer and media volume.

Remote lock works fine. The phone asks for the pin you set up on the Mobile Recovery website to unlock. Not sure how secure a lock it is (reboot, etc), didn't try it.

20. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

Yeah this is pretty old news, I had it - does what it says it does, got a email about 10 days after I signed up stating I'm no longer enrolled due to not being covered under the insurance, which I am - a lot of other people got the same text, same day, since the everyone jumped on board when the thread started. Never persued it, not sure if anyone else did either - check the old thead post above and you'll see what I'm talking about. Gives your GPS a pretty good workout too.

Maybe that's why - make sure you have the extended I guess, or your basically signing up for a limited time trial.

21. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

You can scedule the GPS check point hz - I had it briefly with the leak, so I could see it in battery manager, third in line... but it will find where your phone "was" as long as its "on", if not, you'll just get the last recorded gps checkpoint.

It does have a nice feature if your phones on silent and it slips into the couch, sends a sms to alarm until disabled. :p

22. Medic_in_SC

Medic_in_SC Well-Known Member

Hmm... if I was a thief, one of the first things I'd do is check the app list and remove anything that looked like security. It's too bad this app shows up in the list. It should be hidden. Kind of useless if it's removed. This is just the first thing I noticed... I haven't really played with it too much yet.