• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID X DOES: Mobile Recovery

ericnail

Android Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2009
Alpharetta, GA
verizon-wireless-logo1-300x136.jpg

Have a Verizon Wireless smartphone? Is it insured? Now you’re even more covered.

Verizon introduces their Mobile Recovery plan to customers who subscribe to their Total Equipment Coverage Program run by Asurion. Here are some of the benefits of Mobile Recovery.

Sound Alarm — Have your smartphone trigger an alarm so you can find it, even if it is in silent or vibrate mode.
Locate Phone — Phone outside audible range from Sound Alarm? Use GPS to locate your phone with an address, a map, or turn by turn directions.
Secure Phone — Lock or wipe your device remotely if you cannot locate it quickly.
Mobile recovery is available to select smartphones covered under the Total Equipment Coverage Plan, which would include Verizon’s Android phones as well. But if you don’t have the Asurion insurance package, you’re out of luck.

Supported Android phones on the plan are:

HTC DROID Incredible
HTC Eris
LG Ally
Motorola Devour
Motorola DROID
Motorola DROID 2
Motorola DROID X <--
Samsung Fascinate
Head over to MyMobileRecovery.com to see eligible smartphones and to find out if you can add the TEC package to your Verizon contract.

Full Press Release from Verizon.

Upvote 0
I got the error message at first too using the dolphin browser. I then tried using the stock browser and the same error message popped up. I then went outside making sure I had a good GPS view and used the stock browser and it worked fine. Not sure if it was using the GPS or not, the 3g was the only thing showing being used. Now it is working great.

Upvote 0
Done and done. I'll keep it running a few days and see how much drain the GPS always on will be. Might have to remove/disable. We'll see. Note: I have the Asurion insurance but NOT the extended warranty, so I don't think you need both to get the service.

Did test the locate. Inside: 1st time didn't get a fix so the coordinates were off by about 600 yards. Moved the phone away from my computer (interference) and got a lock and the location was spot on.

Did the alarm test, but no luck. Got an error message on the website: Mobile Recovery can communicate with your phone, but the alarm on your phone could not be sounded. This happened twice. The Alarm screen shows up on the phone, but no sound. My phone is set to max ringer and media volume.

Remote lock works fine. The phone asks for the pin you set up on the Mobile Recovery website to unlock. Not sure how secure a lock it is (reboot, etc), didn't try it.

Upvote 0
Yeah this is pretty old news, I had it - does what it says it does, got a email about 10 days after I signed up stating I'm no longer enrolled due to not being covered under the insurance, which I am - a lot of other people got the same text, same day, since the everyone jumped on board when the thread started. Never persued it, not sure if anyone else did either - check the old thead post above and you'll see what I'm talking about. Gives your GPS a pretty good workout too.

Note: I have the Asurion insurance but NOT the extended warranty, so I don't think you need both to get the service.

Maybe that's why - make sure you have the extended I guess, or your basically signing up for a limited time trial.

Upvote 0
Working fine here, 2.2 and downloaded through Dolphin. It did prompt me to enable gps, I'm hoping even though gps is enabled it's not actually sucking battery unless I'm in google maps or using the locate my phone feature. Which by the way I did test and it was able to locate my phone even though I'm in doors.

You can scedule the GPS check point hz - I had it briefly with the leak, so I could see it in battery manager, third in line... but it will find where your phone "was" as long as its "on", if not, you'll just get the last recorded gps checkpoint.

It does have a nice feature if your phones on silent and it slips into the couch, sends a sms to alarm until disabled. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones