Droid X does not like my wireless router...Support

Last Updated:

1. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a DIR-655 and just got my Droid X. It will not maintain a connection to it.

I tried all the obvious things... Forced it to G only, tried using the guest zone with different encryption.

Am I alone?

Advertisement
  2. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

Crap, I just bought that router too lol, I did get more powerful antennas though that will maybe help.

3. SFWB

This appears to be a bigger issue. It does not like my secondary wifi access point downstairs either.

I am going to test it out at my parents' house and a few other places with wifi...

This is discouraging.

It can connect to my wifi but it doesn't maintain a connection. It just stops working... Shows it's connected, but can't load pages, etc.

If I turn the wifi off, everything is fine.

4. Nellibly

Nellibly New Member

Head over to Motorola forums and you will find 80+ pages of wifi router issues. The biggest problem is neither Droid or Motorola will formally address it. The only common denominator here is Motorola Droid phones. Somebody needs to fix this now. Crashed my whole network.

SFWB likes this.
  5. SFWB

Thanks for the reply. I just checked over there and I see it's quite a widespread issue.

This is beyond disappointing.

6. 1977sjr

1977sjr Well-Known Member

Add me to this list. I have a D-Link DIR-601 router that I just bought and although my X will recognize it and display excellent signal strength, it won't connect. It will start to say "authenticating" but will then disconnect immediately. I'm not able to connect. I know the phone's WiFi is working because I found other local (weaker) networks which I connected to although they booted me off early and often. Frustrating indeed...I don't know if it's a router issue or an X issue...

7. SFWB

Very strange... I stumbled across something using Google and downloaded an app called wififixer. Now that I am running that, my wifi works.

sjones765 likes this.
  8. sjones765

sjones765 Well-Known Member

+1

9. 1977sjr

1977sjr Well-Known Member

I changed my security settings from WPA to WEP and low and behold, my WiFi works brilliantly now. It connected immediately and I'm getting terrific speed compared to 3G. It's lightning fast. I know the X is compatible with WPA/WPA2 so I don't know what the deal is there. I think I'll still have to fiddle with the settings more...

10. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Had a similar issue. Router was set for WPA, X connected fine, but couldn't browse anywhere. Looked it up online and found the suggestion to switch to WPA2. That worked for me.

11. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I'm using WPA2 and it works fine, but I had to disable the "wireless mac filter" until after I had a connection, then add the mac address of my phone, then turn the mac filter back on.

I have a Linksys WRT160Nv3.

I doubt disabling the mac filter is a big problem as long as you have it secured. An unsecured router means your neighbors have free internet. ;)

12. SFWB

Wifi isn't perfect with the wififixer app, but it's usable. It still craps out periodically but this program gets it going again.

Apparently, my unit is still running the .516 system version. I read that .604 was pushed out OTA. Does anyone have it?

13. SFWB

Got it fixed...

Apparently the DX does not like WPA/WPA2 with AES. Once I changed it to TKIP it works fine.

14. B0red04

B0red04 Member

Problems here two, Connects but is extremely slow. I have 6mbps cable connection so it shouldn't be slow at all

15. AubieJones

AubieJones Active Member

My problem is that I use a dual frequency Netgear router that has 2.4 ghz wireless G and 5 ghz wireless N. The DX doesn't even see the N which I've since read it can only use the 2.4 ghz frequency. With that said, I could connect to G just fine and it would work for about 5-10 minutes then it would drop to the speed of a 56k baud modem (if that fast). The only way I could correct it was to reboot the phone then it would work for another 1-10 minutes or so.

I then ran across this thread and have tried the wifi fixer app. So far it is helping with the issue, fingers crossed.

16. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I've got the TRENDnet TEW-652BRP and my Eris HATED it and the TRENDnet I had before (upgraded from G to N). It would only stay connected for 5 minutes then I had to toggle WiFi off and on to get another 5 minute connection...I NEVER used it, just 3G. I tried switching to TKIP, but no love. I've had the Droid X drop once or twice, but it's MUCH better than my Eris was. Guess it's what I get for buying a cheap router.

17. mikeyfl

mikeyfl Well-Known Member

mine play together fine.

18. sparky07

sparky07 Well-Known Member

Mine is doing the same thing on my Netgear router. It says authenticating, then is will disconnect. I tried wififixer with no success either.

19. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

20. ntwrick

ntwrick New Member

This works for me too... changed my Netgear WNR3500 from AES to TKIP and everything works fine now.

21. CarsMatic

CarsMatic Active Member

I just posted to the above thread but yes... I'm also having Wifi issues. I'm running Airport Extreme. It will connect for a few minutes and then just disconnect and reconnect again after a few seconds... all while I'm sitting two feet from my wireless router w/ full bars. Irritating indeed. :mad:

22. backwater

backwater Well-Known Member

can somebody explain this? i see that my router uses WPA2 with AES... so you're saying you change the router's settings? would this mess up my family's wifi?

23. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Same here just changed it last night to WEP and so far so good.

24. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

It doesn't fix the problem. Matter of fact it didn't fix anything that I can tell.:(.

25. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Try changing to WEP if it's not using it already.