Droid X for me - maybe?

Last Updated:

1. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a Droid Incredible and I'm thinking about using one of my upgrades for a Droid X, or maybe a Droid 2. I love my Inc, but here are my reasons - the first probably being the most important --

1) call quality. The incredible has unpredictable call quality. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but on some (not all) calls, words get clipped and I can't always pick up what callers are saying. From what I've read, it sounds like the DX has the best call quality in Verizon's Android line-up now.

2) Signal strength. I've read all different opinions about this, but I've most ofter read that the DX has a good radio. Much of my time is spent in places with minimal service, so I want the phone with the very best/strongest reception possible.

(Getting the picture? I really want my Android smartphone to be an excellent phone - first and foremost)

2) Text/font size in menus and native apps. I picked up a Fascinate the other day and noticed that the font size in the menus is considerably larger than that on my Incredible, and therefore much more readable than my Inc. Is that because of the larger screen, and therefore true of the DX too? Or is that just a feature of the Fascinate?

I would love some feedback! Oh - I would only get a Droid 2 because of the real keyboard. I still miss typing on a actual keyboard. Maybe I should wait for the Merge.....

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

My Droid X is the best cell phone I've ever owned. I get crazy good signal strength everywhere.

And yep, menus are big because of the big screen!

jkmasi likes this.
  3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my Droid X. At this point as fast as things change now I would wait though. We are getting pretty close to the LTE phones being released, and the X has been out for 2 1/2 months, normal life of a phone being the best is only about 4 months or so. The X is still the best right now, with the Fascinate a close 2nd, but I would wait until after Black Friday and see what Verizon has instore for the Holidays.

With all that being said, the X is still awesome if you really want to upgrade now.

jkmasi likes this.
  4. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

I also went from an Inc to an X. Not that I didn't love my Inc, but that big screen on the X was just too tempting. And, like many people, the call quality on my Inc was not the greatest. Having switched, I miss very few things about the Inc...the X fills my needs. The screen on the Inc is brighter, and I liked the way contact shortcuts were set up on the Inc, but besides that, there's nothing I feel like the X doesn't give me.

jkmasi likes this.
  5. jkmasi

This is just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

6. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

love my Droid X also. Ialso installed the Launcher Pro which is a great improvement. If I ever upgraded it would have to be one with the larger screen 4.3".

7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

When I upgrade I will have to have a 4-4.3" screen, I can't go back to anything under 4". I love this phone and will probably keep it until LTE phones start rolling out.

Did you pay for LauncherPro Plus? If not you should, the widgets are some of the best available on Android plus you get some other features too. Probably my favorite paid app.

8. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

+1 LauncherPro Plus takes the X to a whole new level of awesomeness. I had it on my Inc, too, and it was the first thing I downloaded on my X.

9. TMack

TMack Well-Known Member

Call quality is critical to me. (It's a phone, right?) I can't believe how many people are willing to compromise this away. All the other cool stuff is meaningless to me if I can't consistently make calls and hold connections while mobile. That's why I dumped iPhone 3G/AT&T. Droid X/Verizon is THE BEST phone I've ever had. (Plus, it's way, way cool!)

jkmasi likes this.
  10. drone46

drone46 Active Member

If you have any interest in keeping your Inc. dialing *228 and picking option 2 and see if that improves your results for items 1 and 2 on your list at all. Otherwise, give the X a try. I love mine.

11. jkmasi

I dial *228, option 2 at least every couple of weeks. I have a weekend house in the mountains where only Sprint has coverage (grrr.... I can see the tower from my deck - which I wouldn't mind if I had coverage!) and I'm always hoping that Verizon will start offering roaming service from that tower.

12. DougFNJ

DougFNJ Member

I've had the Incredible, the Fascinate, and now of course the Droid X......I also tried a friends Droid 2 when deciding which phone to purchase, just made a couple of phone calls and was not impressed. Like you, I need this to be a phone first, when talking on the Droid 2 I heard light static everytime there was a pause in the conversation on the other side, it was like a fading static like echo....that removed Droid 2 immediately from my list of choices.

Both the Incredible and the Fascinate cannot come close to competing with signal and call quality with the X. It is the best, hands down.

The Incredible had decent call quality, but the the other party sounded a bit tinny. I found the same thing with the Fascinate, PLUS when talking with any kind of ambient noise around you, you could hear your own voice which wouldn't bother me as much if it didn't sound like my own voice talking in a fan.

Fascinate is a good looking device, but there are some MAJOR bugs that made me return it after a week and go to Droid X. Those issues being the voice quality I mentioned, no notification light, bad signal issues, and some software bugs.

Droid X IMHO is the best PHONE since I went from dumb phones to smart phones....Motorola got this one right.