• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X GPS Dead.

Nuar

Sep 16, 2010
Well the past week I've been trying to get a lock on my phone in google maps or in the navigation program. Both just sit there looking for a GPS signal (google maps finds my location over the network within 2600 feet but not GPS)

I think I've tried everything at this point... I tried a battery pull.
Got GPS Status app and reset/downloaded agps data.
Let the phone sit by the window over night looking for any satelites with the GPS Status app... no luck

Finally I tried hard reset because some people said that worked for them.
I did it twice
Once with the power/home button on startup method, and once through the settings screen on the phone.
Neither one helped.

I think Its physically damaged, it fell on me one day a few weeks ago (i havent used the GPS since the fall until this past week)

I'm out of ideas. I'm friggin frustrated since from what I read, some people experience the same problem with their droid x's but eventually get them working again.

I ended up going to Verizon today and they are shipping another droid x to me this week, but its a god damn refurb :( I'm not happy about that at all.. I had the damn phone for around 3 months....

AMEN.............

I leave GPS on all the time and it still won't work 99% of the time :(
I am also one of those unfortunate one's with 3G shutting down all the time even though my G/F sits beside me with her DINC and it all works 100% for her !!!! Oh well............
Got a "new" refurb coming tomorrow to try out...........:):)

Upvote 0
I got the replacement yesterday, I activated it today, all is great except for one thing. This DroidX SUCKS on battery life!!
I don't understand how the same device can be so different on battery life.
Its same stock rom same exact settings but this droid chews up my battery (expanded battery mind you)...
It also heats up way more. The back section by the large speaker (below the battery) gets really warm with just regular use...that is different from my old one as well...

Upvote 0
UPDATE for whoever is still watching this thread...
I went to verizon, told them the problem I was having and the girl at the counter was super sweet and understanding and overnighted another like new replacement to me with a nice warm smile and a "happy holidays" :)

New phone came in, activated and working 100%PERFECT
11hours unplugged and i'm at 70% Battery :D
I'm a happy camper right now :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Upvote 0
Can't you just give what i told you a try? Sounds so simple but it worked for me..................oh well..................
Oh believe me, I did try that man.

Now I have the GPS toggled on the entire day and i'm still at 70%
That includes a bunch of levels in angry birds (have to get back to where I was), Using the gps in random locations to verify its working fine, some phone calls, bunch of texting....
So believe me the other droidx was defective...

Upvote 0
I am having this same problem. I've had my phone since Nov and the GPS has never worked consistently.

I went to Verizon yesterday and the guy in the service dept told me that I needed to keep wi-fi on all the time in order for the gps to work accurately.

I'm not so stupid as to believe this because I know they are 2 different functions but I also realized that arguing with him wasn't going to get me anywhere.

Any thoughts on how I should go about getting a new phone? Who do I need to talk to?

Upvote 0
I'm not so stupid as to believe this because I know they are 2 different functions but I also realized that arguing with him wasn't going to get me anywhere.

So...I gave what you wrote a shot and it worked!! Sounds ridiculous but if you read the description for the "Use Wireless networks" under My Location in Location & Security settings, it says "Location determined by Wi-Fi and/or mobile networks"...it may or may not be what the customer service guy meant, but it was your post that made me tinker with it...try it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones