Droid X heats up, problem?Support

Last Updated:

1. AdamR86

AdamR86 New Member This Topic's Starter

So I just received my replacement Droid X in the mail today. I returned the first one because of a buzzing earpiece. The new one sounds great, but I noticed after a couple minutes of use that the back area where the speaker is gets warm. It doesn't get hot or anything, just warm. I switched the battery setting to battery saver mode, like on my last DX, and rooted it. I don't recall my last droid doing this but I was so fixed on its buzzing earpiece maybe I just overlooked it. Is this normal? It completely cools down if I don't use it and when I'm charging it. I've had a bit of trouble finding this topic online too so maybe it's normal. Any input? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

In a few reviews Ive read/seen, they mentioned that it ran pretty hot. I dont have mine yet to give first hand knowledge but I know you arent the only one with this issue as I believe its common.

3. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

If its brand new you are probably using it a lot which causes it to heat up. It sounds like that if its only warm that its fairly normal, when mine is burning through intensive tasks it tends to get quite warm.

4. hapearso

hapearso Member

I've had the an X for a little over a month now. Most of the time, the phone does not feel warm. However, if I'm using it for media playback or GPS navigation, it gets pretty warm.

5. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

It's normal. My DX seemed to do it more often when it was brand new and I was downloading dozens upon dozens of games and applications for the first time. It rarely gets warm now. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to become uncomfortably hot.

behemoth likes this.
  6. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Well-Known Member

If you're on 1X or using GPS, the phone will get warm.

7. behemoth

behemoth Member

I've noticed the warmth as well, only when I've been downloading apps while playing a game or something. Very rare. I've only had it for 2 weeks now, and I think it's caught my attention twice.

8. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

I've noticed peak warmth to happen while Wifi Tethering is enabled.

9. Doylerules826

Doylerules826 Member

when using the radio intensively it will heat up... this is normal

10. AdamR86

AdamR86 New Member This Topic's Starter

If it's normal, I guess that's good. I just think it's curious that its not even when I'm downloading apps or multitasking. It happens just when I'm reading a webpage, texting or on the phone. And my first DX never got warm at all, ever.

11. jh_husker

jh_husker Well-Known Member

It funny... Right when I first got mine it was really warm to the hand. But after you have it for a while you wont even notice it anymore. Mine usually runs around 102 degrees when I am using it. Can even tell anymore.

I love my DX

12. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

Only time mine has gotten "warm" in a case I mind you is after a 2 1/2 hr. phone call and another time playing a 3D game for over an hour. Wifi and GPS where on both times constant. No performance loss that I noticed.

Big things in small spaces get warm, its gonna happen - ever even browsed the internet with a laptop on your lap? Same principle, unless hardware starts to fail - no worries, just one more added feature for the winter :cool:

13. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

On average mine runs around 85 during the day. If I listen to scanner radio it starts to heat up. usually to around 107. It peaked once at 111

14. montana

montana Active Member

Cooked a few steaks on mine. No problem.