• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X keeps turning off by itself for no reason?

jbhumph

Android Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2010
I have a Droid X and so does my GF. Both of us have obviously been adding apps, trying to figure things out, etc. quite a bit. She plugged hers in last night to charge and it turned off. We thought maybe because it was so warm from messing with it. Well, today it's turned off twice for no reason at all. Anyone else have this problem or have a recommendation? Everything seems ok on hers when we compare our two. Mine has yet to do this once?

Hmmm, make sure the battery is seated properly and that the battery door is inserted correctly via the instructions on the inside of the cover. I know you've probably already have done this, but it doesn't hurt to suggest.

Other than that, I would definitely call tech support (which I believe is available 24/7)

Upvote 0
Yeah it froze up on her at one point so we had to remove the battery. I tried it again another time for good measure but I was worried it might be a bad battery. She's painting her nails tonight and then we're going to bed so I guess she isn't TOO concerned. We're just going to drop by the local VZW to talk to someone tomorrow morning before we head down south for a little bit. I just had better watch that she doesn't try to steal my battery :p

Upvote 0
just swap for a new phone your within your 30 days

^^^^^
What Jazzman09 said.

You COULD try a Factory Data reset.
Homescreen / Menu / Settings / Privacy / Factory Data Reset

If my X was STILL having all those symptoms/problems after the F.D.R.,
I would accept nothing else but a new X.
Swap the phone out while you still have time.

Upvote 0
Yeah we went to Verizon and they tried the hard reset. It seemed to work but then did it today. I traded batteries with her and she just had it go out again. We're going to Verizon tomorrow to get her a new phone I think....or at least have one on the way as I doubt we will get a replacement tomorrow obviously

Upvote 0
Hope I am not too late to give my input on this...

I had this same problem today. It was very frustrating as my phone would only stay on for about 2 minutes at a given time and then reboot so it didn't give me a lot of time to troubleshoot in a given session. Long story short, I tried killing all my apps (using advanced task killer) that were running and that didn't help, but then I realized I had a couple of apps that were on my ignore list. One was a weather channel widget and the other was the motorola info sync. I killed both of them and turned my phone off then on and it seems to have done the trick. I suspect it was due to the sync program running in the background but I can't be sure of that. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post but my gf shuts EVERYTHING down with her ATK, except for the ATK. It turned off on her four times today before 1:00. She went to Verizon and they said that they will set one aside for her when their next shipment comes in and call her....but they have no idea when that will be. So for now wish me luck as I deal with a frustrated gf :p No, seriously though.....please say a prayer for me as she was livid

Upvote 0
I have a Droid X, or should I say, I'm on my second one. I have the same problem. It shuts down several times a day. Verizon replaced the phone (re-furbished) Still the same problem. Sent me a new battery. Still the same problem. It (they) appear to have had this very annoying problem ever since the update in software. Hmmm. Will be calling tech support. I'm holding out to get the iphone 5, hopefully I can hang in there with the X until then.

Upvote 0
so 2 nights in a row i plugged my phone in and when i woke up it was off charger still connected and all. when i would go to make it turn on it would so i had to remove the battery. well i just got my new one sent to me in the mail yesterday, and today the new phone while it was plugged in charging did the SAME thing!! :thinking: :mad: Help?

Upvote 0
I had my Droid X for several months (7 or so) and never experienced shut down problems. UNTIL - The guy at Verizon asked me if I had updated to the new version of Android OS, I said no (while he had my phone in his hand). He handed my phone back and said "It's updating now" I didn't ASK him to update it, now it shuts down ALL the time. Then I bought the higher capacity battery, and used the new battery cover that came with it (it's a different shade of black then my Droid X) Now my phone is stuck in some "booting up loop" It won't boot up, or shut off. I can't get this dumb new battery cover off to pull the battery! My Xoom (which is Droid OS) has a key combo to reboot it (power key and volume up [or down, I forget]) But is there a key combo to get my Droid X to shut down since I can't access my battery?? {{sighs}}

PS - I called Verizon, and they said once you update your DroidX to the new version of OS - there's no going back. --frustrated

Upvote 0
I really hate this phone for that reason.

I can't ever count on this phone to work properly. I have random reboots and all sorts of things
When I plug it into my car
When I go from a phone call to listening to music
When I turn it on from a long idle
When I watch netflix
When I open my contacts
When I download apparently
When I watch movies
When I connect it to my pc

Its a never ending list of random sh**

This isyou my 4th phone.

Pathetic- I keep trying to look at the good side of things and when I compare pros and cons. There's no way to make up for a phone that shuts off whenever the f*** it wants

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with the Droid X. I have only had it since may but it has been doing this since probably June. However mine had this problem before the update which is why I did the update but it still does it. It doesn't do it all the time and it will stop for a while and then all of the sudden out of the blue it will shut down for a few days or so... not sure why. At one point it turned itself off or froze for 20 minutes or so and right as my class was starting turned back on and started working and ringing. Really annoying as my professor would have been thrilled if it went off in class and I couldn't turn the volume down while it was frozen. I also couldn't just take the battery out at that point as I had a case on it and couldn't get it off without something to pry it open with.... I love this phone but not this problem...

Upvote 0
I really hate this phone for that reason.

I can't ever count on this phone to work properly. I have random reboots and all sorts of things
When I plug it into my car
When I go from a phone call to listening to music
When I turn it on from a long idle
When I watch netflix
When I open my contacts
When I download apparently
When I watch movies
When I connect it to my pc

Its a never ending list of random sh**

This isyou my 4th phone.

Pathetic- I keep trying to look at the good side of things and when I compare pros and cons. There's no way to make up for a phone that shuts off whenever the f*** it wants

Does it do this with no 3rd party apps installed?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post but my gf shuts EVERYTHING down with her ATK, except for the ATK. It turned off on her four times today before 1:00. She went to Verizon and they said that they will set one aside for her when their next shipment comes in and call her....but they have no idea when that will be. So for now wish me luck as I deal with a frustrated gf :p No, seriously though.....please say a prayer for me as she was livid

Factory reset, don't install any apps. See if it turns off all the time. If it does, call Verizon and demand another phone. If it doesn't slowly add one app at a time and see how it works. It could be one app causing this. Also, get rid of the task killer. It's not needed since Froyo .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones